The Running Room
-4C / 25F
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Great supper the night before, with even better company, at Laerka's house. Quick trip after to Chapters for a Raspberry tea latte and back to HQ, bed by 11.
Up at 7ish, coffee and bagel for breaky and about 750 ml of water.
Event warmup:

Cabbed it to the event as I didn't have my own wheels and Crazy wussed out this year. ( I hope you read this pal, I dint care if you're in Vegas!) Changed, passed over my gear and waited outside for about 5 min. Very comfortable as I had better clothing. Had long johns and good pants, underarmour shirt, warm fleece jacket and outer jacket to ward of the snow and stay dry. Shoes, sox and bodylinx gear. Put by little water and gel bottles in my pockets so they wouldn't freeze, like last year. Used the fleece hat and gloves given out as gifts for entering. I also have Crazy's in case anyone needs some?
Run
  • 2h 51m
  • 13.11 miles
  • 13m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

The course was better than last year as they made a few changes. I never ran so long in the snow. I found it a real challenge, finding the path of least resistance. The snow and slush were heavy but the workout was incredible. The mile markers were very consistent with my Timex which was a relief after the ten mile mark.
Strategy was to break for water every two miles and gel every 4, up to the ten mile mark. Then it was break every mile for Gatorade and a final gel at 11. Listened to Pheddipidations about Steve Prefontaine and actually felt a lump in my throat at the end. Then switched to Zen and the Art of Triathlon, and finally tunes for the last couple miles.

What would you do differently?:

1)Can never be too organized the night before
2)Get the hell out of the fatboys club!

Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my bottle of water and talked to some of the volunteers about the great job they did. Changed slowly and drank more. Had a great brunch and met the chef and complemented him and the helpers. Thanked every volunteer I met. Cabbed back to HQ and hit the hot tub, then had a nap. Made my phone calls and met my friends for a supper of wings and salad(no beer as I was the dd and they started early!). Bed by 10, feeling content with the accomplishment, but ready for the challenge ahead.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My mind was right, I had no physical maladies and I smiled the whole way through. I never doubted I could run the thing, but I knew it would be slowwwwwwwww!

Similar to last year, I gotta get the nutrition thing under control. Fit but fats gets you across the line, but lets do the next one with authority!

Event comments:

I had learned alot from last year and was able to put it all together. Based on my 12 miler last week, I knew I would be slow, but I knew I could finish. I wasn't as hurting this year(good grammar)and feel good but tired today, and didn't take any meds. If I had to do another mile, I could have, albeit very slow, so unlike last week, I still had gas in the tank. You never get an easy winter run and that was the longest and toughest run in prob 8 months(as I walked most of IMC).
Thanks to my good friends at BT, all of whom were in the early wave,(I was in the later one, all alone!). And my fellow Ironcoppers who ran as well.
And what the hell, lets thank Crazy for getting me into all this, even if he did turtle on this event.

Last updated: 2006-11-15 12:00 AM
Running
02:51:00 | 13.11 miles | 13m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: • Start/Finish line will be in the front bay of the Alloway Reception Centre • Runners will head West on Sam Fabro Way towards McCreary Rd • Once on McCreary, runners will head North crossing Wilkes to the Preston Trail-heading West into the Assiniboine Forest (across from W.Taylor Blvd) • Running West-Northwest on Preston Trail, runners will follow the path North to Grant Ave. • Runners will head East, running on the South side of Grant Ave. and cross North at the set of lights at Shaftesbury Rd and Grant Ave • Running West on the bicycle path on the North side of Grant Avenue, runners head north on the path between the Tuxedo Golf Course and the Assiniboine Forest to Corydon Ave. • At Corydon, runners head West along the Bicycle path to the pedestrian x-walk just East of Chalfont, crossing over Corydon into Assiniboine Park. • In the Assiniboine Park, runners will follow the Bicycle path North towards the Assiniboine River to Assiniboine Park Dr. • At Assiniboine Park Dr, runners will head east past the Duck Pond Shelter • Running East on Pavilion Cr, past the Pavilion towards the Zoo parking lot. • Runners will proceed South on Zoo Drive and West through the South Zoo Parking Lots to the Pedestrian Crosswalk • Crossing the intersection south, then heading East along with bicycle path on the South Side of Corydon • Runners follow the bicycle path running south between the Tuxedo Golf Course and the Assiniboine Forest • At Grant Ave, runners follow the Bicycle path East to the corner of Shaftesbury Rd and Grant Ave. • Runners cross at the lights at Grant Ave and Shaftesbury Rd • Runners travel West on the South side of Grant Ave. to the Preston Trail entrance at Assiniboine Forest. • South on Preston Trail through the Forest to Shaftesbury Rd • South on Shaftesbury Rd-crossing Wilkes Ave. • South on McCreary Rd to EarthShare Road entrance • Runners will proceed on the EarthShare Road to FortWhyte’s new forest trail. • South on forest trail to Carolyn Sifton Trail • South on Carolyn Sifton Trail, over the Bison Viewing Mound to the Alloway Centre Finishing back in the overflow parking lot at Fort Whyte Center
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-02-26 8:31 PM

User image

Regular
Winnipeg
Subject: Hypothermic Half Marathon

2007-02-27 7:37 AM
in reply to: #704292

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Hypothermic Half Marathon

Congrats on getting it done!! Dinner the night before sure sounds great!!

those directions for the race got me dizzy!! sheesh... 

2007-02-27 8:17 AM
in reply to: #704292

User image

Regular
Winnipeg
Subject: RE: Hypothermic Half Marathon
I was glad there were enough volunteers to show me where to go!  Freezerburn and Laerka are good cooks.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hypothermic Half Marathon Rss Feed