The Austin Marathon Foundation, Inc.
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m 58s
Overall Rank = 2935/5122
Age Group = M40-45
Age Group Rank = 273/349
Pre-race routine:

Shivered in the cold wind waiting for the start.
Event warmup:

Huddled with other people shivering in the cold wind waiting for the start.
Run
  • 2h 16m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I arrived early to meet some friends with the Round Rock Fit Marathon training group. Unfortunately, we never saw each other. So, I made my way to the starting line via the porta-cans. I stood with the Marathon 4:30 pace group, expecting to run about that pace for the Half. My goal was to have a nice, casual training run. I was not going to push this run at this point in the season. Plus, I have only had 2 runs of 10 miles since November. I was not trained-up to race a Half Marathon. The weather could not have been better, 40 degrees and clear. No wind, sunny and cold. The first 2 miles are all up a slope and tough but it was nice to be in control when the gun went off. This is a course were you can't get out too fast with the uphill start. I spent most of the run talking to people that I knew and some I didn't. The miles just kept ticking by and I felt great, even with all the hills. At the 10 mile mark, the Half and Full Marathon courses split. At that point, the run started to get hard for me. There were 2 significant hills and the fact that we had already run 10 miles. Once I turned towards the Capital and started downhill to the finish line, I was able to open my stride and cruise down Congress Ave in style. I finished strong and comfortable and 10 minutes faster than I told my family, so I finished alone.
What would you do differently?:

More Hill and volume training
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around looking for the family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Size and genetics

Event comments:

I love the new course! It's hard and hilly and will be a beast if the weather gets bad. However, there is a sense of acomplishment after running this course that was missing with the old downhill course. If you want an easy race, do a 5k. Marathons and Half Marathons are supposed to be hard.

Last updated: 2007-01-09 12:00 AM
Running
02:16:58 | 13.1 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 273/349
Overall: 2935/5122
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling hills through nice neighborhoods. Tough, tough hills at mile 7 and 11 after a slightly uphill total course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-02-27 2:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: Austin Half Marathon

2007-02-27 3:09 PM
in reply to: #705259

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Austin Half Marathon
Nice job!! Hills are always tough, especially near the end.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Austin Half Marathon Rss Feed