Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Flint Hills Tri
2007-06-01 12:16 AM
in reply to: #705703

User image

Veteran
Roeland Park
Correction: I will be out of the race due to knee injury.
2007-06-01 7:01 AM

User image

Manhattan, Kansas
That sucks....what happened KCGUY?
2007-06-01 9:03 AM

User image

Manhattan, Kansas
Tidbit for everyone coming to the Flint Hills Tri this weekend. I went out to the course last night to check things out and test the water. Here is a little report:

1. The Corps of Engineers is releasing 17,000 CFS of water and they project that to continue through the weekend; therefore, I'm guessing we'll be using the alternate transition area and swim course.
2. The new transition area is about 1000 yards west of last years transition area. It is closer to the water, and is all grass (versus pavement).
3. The entry into the water is grass. Once in the water, the first 15 feet is a little muddy...and here is my "tip"....for the first 15 feet the water is about 2 foot deep, however, there is a drop-off to about 4 foot rather quickly (the original bank of the lake). There is an overhead power line directly above the drop-off. When running in, you can dive in for your swim stroke at the power line. Same thing applies coming out of the water, stand up when you reach the power line. 20-25 ft. out it is 6 feet deep.
4. Although the Corps of Engineers site says the water is 66 degrees, it felt warmer than that. I didn't think it was cold at all. Last year, the water took my breath away...but I thought it was pretty comfortable when I was out there last night.

Everyone have a safe trip to Manhattan.
2007-06-01 2:40 PM
in reply to: #825140

User image

Veteran
Roeland Park
purpleapple - 2007-06-01 7:01 AM

That sucks....what happened KCGUY?

I'm on a softball league for work and went out for a pop fly to center field. Needless to say, the grass was a bit slick and I went one way and my foot and knee went another.

Doc says its just a major sprain, but no race for me.

Good luck to all those participating this weekend. Hopefully I will see you all at Shawnee Mission.

Edited by kcguy 2007-06-01 2:40 PM

2007-06-01 2:45 PM
in reply to: #826089

User image

Expert
Kansas

Danny, I'm glad your not seriously hurt.... this might be a little late.... but hang up your cleats.....

kcguy - 2007-06-01 2:40 PM
purpleapple - 2007-06-01 7:01 AM That sucks....what happened KCGUY?
I'm on a softball league for work and went out for a pop fly to center field. Needless to say, the grass was a bit slick and I went one way and my foot and knee went another. Doc says its just a major sprain, but no race for me. Good luck to all those participating this weekend. Hopefully I will see you all at Shawnee Mission.

Edited by ott13979 2007-06-01 2:52 PM
2007-06-02 8:54 AM
in reply to: #826104

User image

Veteran
Roeland Park
ott13979 - 2007-06-01 2:45 PM

Danny, I'm glad your not seriously hurt.... this might be a little late.... but hang up your cleats.....

kcguy - 2007-06-01 2:40 PM
purpleapple - 2007-06-01 7:01 AM That sucks....what happened KCGUY?
I'm on a softball league for work and went out for a pop fly to center field. Needless to say, the grass was a bit slick and I went one way and my foot and knee went another. Doc says its just a major sprain, but no race for me. Good luck to all those participating this weekend. Hopefully I will see you all at Shawnee Mission.

I think I will need to get a pair of those, that was most likely the cause of it all...slick grass and no cleats.
2007-06-03 9:09 PM

User image

Olathe, KS
WOW - What a great race today!!  Blue Hills Adventures produced a VERY well run event.  This was my 2nd year for Flint Hills, and I'll definitely be back next year.
2007-06-04 9:08 PM

I second that! This was my first FH Tri but definitely not my last. Did everyone hit their goal times? I did on my "personal" clock but not the "official" time. I got a little sidetracked about mile 9 of the bike portion as the woman in front of me went down...HARD. I was the first one on-site as I was about 50 yards behind her. She was out cold for about 3-4 minutes. Thankfully a triathlete by hobby and EMT by trade stopped also. We stayed with her for about 15 minutes until some race officials showed up and took over. I didn't see what caused her to go down but I looked up just as she hit pavement. The only thing I can think of is she got hit by a gust of wind (she probably weighed 105 pounds soaking wet), overcorrected and got out of control. I also don't think she had her helmet strapped on tight enough. When I first got to her it was practically sideways and by the time we left her she had a knot the size of a golf ball just above her eye. Can't imagine that would have happened if her helmet was on correctly. Moral of this story...TIGHTEN THAT CHIN STRAP as it can happen to ANYONE!
2007-06-05 7:31 AM
in reply to: #829710

User image

Expert
Kansas

was she an older lady?

tdstewKC - 2007-06-04 9:08 PM I second that! This was my first FH Tri but definitely not my last. Did everyone hit their goal times? I did on my "personal" clock but not the "official" time. I got a little sidetracked about mile 9 of the bike portion as the woman in front of me went down...HARD. I was the first one on-site as I was about 50 yards behind her. She was out cold for about 3-4 minutes. Thankfully a triathlete by hobby and EMT by trade stopped also. We stayed with her for about 15 minutes until some race officials showed up and took over. I didn't see what caused her to go down but I looked up just as she hit pavement. The only thing I can think of is she got hit by a gust of wind (she probably weighed 105 pounds soaking wet), overcorrected and got out of control. I also don't think she had her helmet strapped on tight enough. When I first got to her it was practically sideways and by the time we left her she had a knot the size of a golf ball just above her eye. Can't imagine that would have happened if her helmet was on correctly. Moral of this story...TIGHTEN THAT CHIN STRAP as it can happen to ANYONE!

2007-06-05 7:39 AM

yep...60 years to be exact. Born in 1947. It was weird but her long term memory was great but she couldn't remember anything just before the accident. The EMT was asking her questions just to test her and one was her birthday which she rattled off immediately. But asked what happened and she couldn't remember. She didn't even know she was doing a triathlon. I'm going to email Clay and find out if he knows a status on her. But man could she ride. We had been leapfrogging each other up until that point and any hill she just zoomed right up it. Keeping my fingers crossed it was just a concussion...
2007-06-05 7:44 AM
in reply to: #829996

User image

Expert
Kansas

we met this older lady on Saturday night that I thought looked like her (I went past the scene when the EMT's arrived) she had done a ton of tri's.....

tdstewKC - 2007-06-05 7:39 AM yep...60 years to be exact. Born in 1947. It was weird but her long term memory was great but she couldn't remember anything just before the accident. The EMT was asking her questions just to test her and one was her birthday which she rattled off immediately. But asked what happened and she couldn't remember. She didn't even know she was doing a triathlon. I'm going to email Clay and find out if he knows a status on her. But man could she ride. We had been leapfrogging each other up until that point and any hill she just zoomed right up it. Keeping my fingers crossed it was just a concussion...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flint Hills Tri Rss Feed  

of 2