United States
Premier Event Management
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 11m 4s
Overall Rank = 1038/1084
Age Group = 45
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up early ate a bagel and half a cliff bar. Drank a coke and a gatorade. Went to the race site and met up with some friends.
Event warmup:

LONG porta potty line. Not enough potties, we were in line after the start of the race, again. Decided to potty one more time since official time is chip time (We got to the start line about 3 minutes late).
Run
  • 6h 11m 4s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

We started late, because of the potty line it was LONG. Everything was outside the Superdome this year. It used to host us inside which was pretty cool. Dylan left us at the start, we didn't see him again until we got to mile 13. BEAR walked the first 10 miles with me. He was lucky, I had music, so I didn't talk too much. I also eat alot of red hots, sweet tarts, peanuts, and chew gum the whole time. (I carry a full fanny pack, so the more I eat, the lighter the pack gets.) It was cool to walk together. We met a friend during the first mile and again around mile 6. We walked at a good pace.

Around mile 8, I called to check on Dylan. My phone rang-it wasn't him. It was my best friend, Tammy, from Houston. She asked what I was doing. I said walking a marathon in the middle of New Orleans, she said to call when I finished-that could have taken a WHILE. BEAR left me at mile 10 to see if he could run in, so I called Tammy back and talked for about a half hour. My phone was dying, so I had to hang up-it did make time go by faster-and my walking slower.

The route was a lot 'happier' this year. People are remodeling, rebuilding, and cleaning up. The damaged cars were gone and more people were home and outside. There is still a lot of work to be done in the city.

Dylan called to say that he was finished. He did it in 2:12. I ordered a water and gatorade from him when I'd see him at the dome near the half way mark. He met me at mile 13 with a cup of that old nasty yellow gatorade. (There were no bottles of anything at the finish line.) BEAR was there to cheer me on. I turned toward the marathon route and headed down the wrong road. {Happens often, so don't follow me!} They called out me to turn and go the other way, DUH!!! I crossed the half timing mat and continued on my way. I was still pumped up and excited! I thought I'd be sad to not stop at the dome, but I was ready to continue on.

The next water stop had "MEN DRESSED IN RED DRESSES!" They did a great job cheering us on and enjoying themselves. I talked to the police and encouraged the runners coming back. It's cool to cheer people on and see their expressions. There were still alot of smiling faces and some that were in severe pain.

At mile 16 and on the return route so I saw a TNT recruiter from Mississippi. Travis is so nice! He walked along with me for a while and offered me gummy candy and some other food. I hate gummy candy-but enjoyed his company.

Going through the Audubon Park was neat. The park was full of families, animals (even a fat pug-that I had to stop and pet), and bikers out for fun. I talked to a lot of people there. The path was smooth and clean. (The roads had some BIG pot holes.) BEAR and Dylan were coming to meet me in the park, but I was heading out of the park before they got there, so they met me around mile 21. Dylan had a water, a RED gatorade, and another pack of gum for me. I gave him my fanny pack and made my load lighter. He laughed, they went on to mile 22 and I'd finished my gatorade. I never drink that much, but it was HOT and I was thirsty. They went back to the Superdome to wait for me.

Mile 23 is near Touro Hospital. There were a bunch of dead birds smashed on the road, must be a rough area for birds! I was tired, but there were police at each street so I entertained myself by talking to and thanking them.

Returned to "MEN IN RED DRESSES." I knew the end was near, so I picked up the pace and passed a few people. It was great to see the Dome again. I decided to run in the finish line area. The man that cut my chip off told me to: "go stretch, walk around, walk up the ramp of the dome to eat and drink." (I guess I was so slow he thought this was my first mary.)

I had problems remembering my watch-these may differ from BEAR's. Miles: 13:20, 14:11, 13:08, 13;28, 13:18, 13;42, 15:03, 14:09, 13:52, 13:54, 15:08, 13:29, 14:10, 14:12, 14:00, 13:30, 15:03, 13:55, 14:35, 14:20, 14:29, 15:31, 14:35, 14:46, 14.42, 13:52, 2.36.

More aid stations and porta potties would be great! It got hot. The volunteers at the marathon were very nice and cheered us on enthusiastically. Thanks Ya'll!
What would you do differently?:

TRAIN MORE!!!! Go in the right direction. Finish under 6 hours.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked afterwards-to the car and went to the West Bank for a Subway sandwich. (I figured after 6 hours of food being out, it would be nasty.) Then we headed home. I took a cat nap for about a half hour. Dylan slept until we got to Morgan City. I always worry about Bear falling asleep, I knew he was tired, too. But he did a great job driving all the way home. Thanks Bear-for walking with me, cheering me on, checking on me, and driving home. I appreciate all you and Dylan did.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. BEAR leaving me at mile 10-I walked faster with him.

Event comments:

I enjoyed the route. I've done the half several times. I decided in December that I wanted to do the whole marathon. I am so glad I did it. It's my tenth marathon in ten states. Forty more to go to join the 50 States Club!!!

I liked seeing other people on the out and back routes. Great support from BEAR and Dylan!!! My thighs are a little sore today, nothing major. Poor Dylan is suffering-his calves are killing him and he had basketball practice for a long time tonight. I hope he feels better soon.

{Laurie, I worked backwards today. I came home and cleaned after the race. I was full of energy. :):):) We missed you all this year. Didn't see any BTers, but Dylan finished a few minutes after Lane.}

Last updated: 2007-02-10 12:00 AM
Running
06:11:04 | 26.2 miles | 14m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1084
Performance: Good
Course: Great course in New Orleans! Out and back several times. From the marathon site: "The 2007 Mardi Gras Marathon and Half Marathon will once again offer a great tour of one of America's most beloved cities. Our course takes you through the picturesque French Quarter, Esplanade Ridge, Bayou St. John, Garden District, Uptown, Audubon Park. Flat and fast, no need for a course elevation map. New Orleans is below sea level, with the exception of one overpass, you're below sea-level the entire time on the course. The exciting finish is at the world famous Louisiana Superdome, host of the Allstate Sugar Bowl and numerous NFL Super Bowls"
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-02-27 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana
Subject: Mardi Gras Marathon

2007-02-28 4:56 AM
in reply to: #705726

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Subject: RE: Mardi Gras Marathon
Great job and excellent report. Glad to hear that NO continues to get well. Loved the part about the post manned by Men In Red Dresses. Only in NO! Next time try handcuffing yourself and Bear together. That should keep him in check.
2007-02-28 6:47 AM

User image

Champion
Great race, Angel!
2007-02-28 7:50 AM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX

HA!!!  DId it feel weird not to have a dishwasher to empty pre-race?  Wish we could have served as the official pre-race hotel again.  Can you believe we only met ya'll a year ago???

I am so proud of you and your splits are AWESOME!!!  Wish we could've been there

2007-02-28 8:25 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Great race report!  Nice job!  You are a FAST walker- I don't think I could walk that fast!  I've always wanted to do this race- hopefully I'll be able to meet up with ya'll sometime for this.  Way to knock out another state!  There's no doubt you'll be able to do a sub 6 hour marathon next time!

2007-02-28 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Dang, your marathon walking pace is about the same as my 10k race pace Excellent job!!!

-Frank

2007-02-28 3:31 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
impressive job! and a very fast walking pace, good on ya!
2007-02-28 9:20 PM

User image

Expert
Great race!

I was probably one of the ones who looked like I was in pain, but I was still having a great time! You Louisianians sure know how to throw a party!
2007-03-04 5:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA

Hey Angel,

Great Race Report .  That is a very fast time for walking.

2007-03-06 7:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La

Angel -  Your race time is insane!  You walked that pace?  Did you have those tennis shoes with the little roller balls in the heels like all the kids have these days? 

Great run and race report.  Sorry we didn't see you there.  Still nursing some injuries from Disney and trying to recuperate in time for CCC.  So we'll see the Bear gang soon enough!

2007-03-08 8:27 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great job! Congrats on your 10th marathon.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mardi Gras Marathon Rss Feed