General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Liquid Nutrition/training/racing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-28 8:13 AM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
Subject: Liquid Nutrition/training/racing

lets see here, I'm a "beginner" in this area. 

I don't really like gels anymore.   I have force myself to eat them. 

I"m thinking of switching to liquid fuel.  From the websites, Infinit and Hammer or eFuels would do it for the races I do right now which are Sprints and Olys.   I see a Half IM next year and that's a whole different story....

Problem is, I don't want to order a 35 dollar thing and then find out my tummy or taste buds don't like them, do they offer sample packs?? 

Did I say I don't really like gels?  Or do I just have to suck it up and suck them up? 

2007-02-28 9:03 AM
in reply to: #705941

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Liquid Nutrition/training/racing

I have just started looking at Infinit and am going to give it a try. You can buy a smaller size for around $18 I think.

Bill

2007-02-28 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Seattle, California

I personally don't think that you are going to find much of a better solution then gels for that distance. Unless you want to get a special formula from Infinit and carry it with you on the run. On the bike it is not a big deal because you can control your fluid better, but not so for the run (again unless you want to wear a fuel belt).

For sprint and Oly I think all you really care about are calories from carbs. So you have 3 choices.

1) Water, Sports Drink and Gels

2) Sports Drink (but you may not get enough calories here for an oly unless you add protein to your drink which could cause stomach issues)

3) Sports Drink , Water and Solid Food. I'm pretty sure this would be the worst of the 3 options. I can't imagine eating solid food given the intensity of a sprint or Oly.

Option one probably requires that all you carry are gels on you, option 2 mean you need to carry your own drink on the run or hope that what is provided will be ok for you, and option 3 means you are carrying a bar or something.

Edited by Global 2007-02-28 11:17 AM
2007-02-28 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

Hammer sells single serving packets of their liquid fuels.  You can mix them as your nutritional needs change by distance as they meet different needs.  HEED is mostly carbs while Perpetuem has some protien for longer distances.  If you need to carry your own nutrition, you can also mix them into a paste consistency and fit a lot of calories in a hand flask.  The flavor is more intensified in a more concentrated mix, though. 

Another thing you could do for those distances is mix your favorite flavor of gel (or your least un-favorite flavor) with water either in a hand flask or a bike bottle.  I find them a lot more palatable when mixed with water.  One gel in a 5-oz hammergel flask for the run portiion of a sprint wouldnt' be too bad.

2007-02-28 1:25 PM
in reply to: #706274

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
c_cic - 2007-02-28 12:28 PM

Another thing you could do for those distances is mix your favorite flavor of gel (or your least un-favorite flavor) with water either in a hand flask or a bike bottle.  I find them a lot more palatable when mixed with water.  One gel in a 5-oz hammergel flask for the run portiion of a sprint wouldnt' be too bad.

This is also a great idea because you need the water to digest/absorb the carbs from the gels.

I use Hammer Perpetum and Hammer gel for long distance (1/2 IM, IM) and Accelerade and Honey Stingers for shorter races (oly and sprints) and training. HEED makes me ill. ick! Can;t stand it.
2007-03-16 7:52 AM

I used to use Accel Gels for my 24hr mtn bike races. They were great! And they had the 4:1 carb to protein. They then had some problems and pulled them for the majority of the year last year. I switched over to GU. They were good and didn't hurt my stomach. But I liked the Accel Gels better they are more liquidy (not a word I know). I was just able to purchase my first box of Accel Gels since they were pulled.

Has anyone tried accel gels for Oly length races? I'm curious about the stomach issues.

2007-04-28 7:01 PM

Lakeland, FL
I normally stick with carb-BOOM.

I think that it might be worth a try to try Boost. They come in all different flavors and nutritional needs. They are extremely easy to digest (Believe me I know). Plus they are a little less expensive than buying a large bucket of some other product.

Normally, I drink a boost after my workout and that seems to work very well. This product offers a lot more nutrition than does the other sports drinks.

You can find them at most food stores. I believe that Wal-Mart has them the cheapest.

I hope that this helps some!
2007-04-29 4:43 PM

New user
Hammer gives a refund if you don't like a product for any reason.
2007-04-29 8:56 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Hmmm.....Boost. I've never thought about using them as a recovery drink, but that's a great idea! I have a bunch of them around left over from a time when I couldn't eat after an accident. 

As to the original question, I've begun using Cytomax.  I use it for workouts and rides up to about 2 hours. I'd want to take in some real food  (or at least a bar) for workouts much more than 2 hours.  I certainly don't think that gels are essential.  A good drink mix is the equivalent of gels. When you need more, a bar or some easy-to-carry foods are warranted.

2007-04-30 9:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chatham. Ontario
I use Boost for my Ironman race.  I also pack a peanut butter and jam sandwich.  I usually freeze 5 boost in a large drink bottle and use that during my race.  I wash it down with water.  Works good for me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Liquid Nutrition/training/racing Rss Feed