Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-02 10:20 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: Guns and Pizza - watcha think?
Open carry gun issue
discuss
(note - be civil - some of us are related to some of them)
See http://tinyurl.com/ywueut

Gun rights group takes case to council

By ELISA A. GLUSHEFSKI
[email protected]
Tuesday, February 27, 2007

More than 50 gun rights advocates protested police conduct during an incident at a city restaurant with some calling for the firing of several of the officers involved at Monday night's Manassas City Council meeting.

The public outcry comes two weeks after Springfield-resident Russ Troxel filed a complaint against the police department about an incident involving him and six friends who were openly carrying their weapons while dining at Tony's New York Pizza on Mathis Avenue on the evening of Jan. 13.

A second complaint was filed Friday by Fairfax resident Mark Anderson who states that among other things the officers overstepped their authority by "coercing" the owner of Tony's to kick them out after they had already been there for nearly an hour.

Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League Inc., asked at the meeting that three of the seven responding officers - Tina Pannell, Chad Hyland and Rickey Clodfelter - be reprimanded or fired.

Van Cleave said that as the supervisor at the scene, Pannell should have taken control of the situation and told the other officers that they were legally allowed to openly carry their weapons there.

"If the police can't do this right then we've got a big problem," he said.

The incident started with a 911 call from an unnamed man who reported that the men's guns were making him uncomfortable.

It was the initial antagonistic attitude of Hyland, who demanded IDs from the men even though they weren't committing a crime, and the officer's ignorance of the law that Troxel's and others said is unacceptable.

Troxel, who was among those who attended the meeting, said the officers also refused to accept paperwork documenting the state's open-carry law.

Police Chief John J. Skinner said he would like to comment publicly but can't because the complaints are part of an internal investigation.

The timeline for the investigation could be extended if new information or witnesses is revealed, he said, adding that he plans to discuss the new complaint with the investigator today.

The men say they were within their rights because Virginia law requires that weapons be carried in the open in places that serve alcohol.

And while carrying a concealed weapon requires a court-issued permit, no permit is required to carry a gun in the open.

The manager of Tony's has said that the men were asked to leave because of several complaints the restaurant received from regular customers.

In Anderson's complaint, he also says that one of the officers cursed at him "repeatedly" throughout the incident.

At least two of the officers refer to the men as "assclowns" and "retards" in intradepartmental messages and e-mails that were obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request by Mike Stollenwerk, one of the founders of Opencarry.org.

In an e-mail Clodfelter sent five of the other officers the day after the incident, he copied the state code that prohibits patrons from carrying concealed weapons in any place that serves alcohol and concludes that they were legally allowed to carry their guns openly that night.

In the same e-mail, Clodfelter also wrote: "My guess is the over-compensating assclowns at Tony's were hyper-aware of all this, and that's why they started crying like little babies when their event got spoiled by the whole 'let's get the owner to tell them to get the f-- out' thing.

Troxel and the six other men are members of a forum on Opencarry.org.

Skinner said he would release the findings of the internal investigation when it is completed.

2007-03-02 10:25 PM
in reply to: #709911

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: RE: Guns and Pizza - watcha think?

I can't edit it to make it nicer format.....  

2007-03-02 11:25 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Regardless of what you think about gun ownership, they were did not violate any laws and it seems that the police are the "overcompensating assclowns" who have an issue with citizens who know more about the law then the police do.
2007-03-03 12:41 AM
in reply to: #709914

User image

Master
Colorado

In my opinion, the group with the guns had an obvious attitude that was never going to mix with cops that also had their own attitudes.  I see this as an "I'm tougher than you, you can't tell me what to do" macho power struggle rather than a gun issue.  Poor representation of gun owners I think and hopefully an equally poor representation of police officers.  There are some like that in every group of people, seems silly to jump to any conclusion or judgement on such a big issue based on a story like this one.  Ugh.

2007-03-03 5:40 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky

Hold the anchovies.

2007-03-03 8:28 AM

User image

Elite
I much prefer Guns N' Roses.

On topic, perhaps there's something we're missing here in the story. How were the men carrying themselves while displaying their firearms? Were any of them seemingly intoxicated? Were any of them ever in a position where a firearm could be separated from their person? Were the firearms loaded? I wasn't there. It did say that no permit is necessary to carry a gun in the open. I do find that ridiculous...but I don't live in Virginia.

2007-03-03 10:43 AM

Pro
Lots of pressure to get their orders right, I suspect.

My question is, why guns? Why not crossbows or trebuchets? "Officer, I have an open carry permit for this here trebuchet".
2007-03-03 12:08 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

i am sure the guns were loaded.  They were in their holsters on their sides.  This is a group that believes that is their right to do so.  I doubt any of them were drunk.

According to the opencarry.org guy, only 6 or so states have laws against carrying sidearms in this manner, so most of us live in a state where it is totally possible to go out for pizza and see people with holstered guns on their hips.  Concealed weapon permits are a different matter - permits are required.  But then, we won't be seeing them. 

2007-03-03 12:35 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-03-03 1:15 PM

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC

I'm just a county over from where the incident happened. The biggest problem we've had w/the open carry laws in Virginia the past couple years have been that the police were not aware of the open carry laws, and apparently in some jurisdictions still aren't.

We had a rash of incidents right in a row back in 2004 that got the Ffx Co PD up to speed on things, so it doesn't seem to be an issue in our county as much anymore, but I guess it didn't filter over to the next county.

Now, police officers are human and they can and will make mistakes. What is more disappointing to me is the attitudes displayed by the officers during and after the incident. It doesn't exactly make for a citizenry that respects, trusts or is willing to work with it's local police force.

2007-03-03 3:20 PM
in reply to: #710188

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
BodyCheck - 2007-03-03 1:15 PM

We had a rash of incidents right in a row back in 2004 that got the Ffx Co PD up to speed on things, so it doesn't seem to be an issue in our county as much anymore, but I guess it didn't filter over to the next county

that's right around the time a certain family member moved to FFx Co.... coincidence, I think not...

2007-03-03 4:13 PM

Master
Sachse
They had the right to carry them, but the owner of the Pizza place also had the right to ask them to leave. If the gun owners did not like it, they can take their business elsewhere. It sounds like there were buttheads on both sides of this conversation.

Guns will always make some feel uncomfortable. I love guns, but I would not want to draw that type of attention. Yes, you have the right to do it, but you better expect some reactions like this. And I do agree that the police in the area should know about this law......especially, since someone carrying a pistol in a tactical holster will cause phone calls to the PD.

I have my conceal permit and this would be the only way I would carry it. I wouldn't carry it in the open... saying "Look at me...I have a gun...and I am allowed to carry it"....I would rather people, never know..

Kenny

2007-03-03 7:54 PM
in reply to: #710263

Elite
Reno

houston-tri-mamma - 2007-03-03 3:20 PM
BodyCheck - 2007-03-03 1:15 PM We had a rash of incidents right in a row back in 2004 that got the Ffx Co PD up to speed on things, so it doesn't seem to be an issue in our county as much anymore, but I guess it didn't filter over to the next county...

that's right around the time a certain family member moved to FFx Co.... coincidence, I think not...

I thought the exact same thing.....

2007-03-03 8:22 PM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Not to get off topic, but this is the same thing when a cop decides to pull a cyclist over for legally riding in the roadway. 

I just hope that this incident causes some training to be conducted.  The last thing you need is a contest between two legally armed people.

2007-03-04 2:41 AM
in reply to: #710311

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
But regardless of where you come down on the open carry/concealed argument, they guys in question had done nothing wrong. The last link gives a better timeline of events and makes it clear that the guys had been there for 45 minutes before the police arrived. It was only after a suggestion by the police that the owner asked them to leave. Judging by the fact that they weren't arrested, it seems as if they complied immediately.

And as mentioned, this is exactly the same type of thing that we have to deal with when police who are ignorant of the law pull us over while cycling, something that to me is even worse than drivers who don't know the law. Picture the same attitude and treatment coming from a cop in that situation, and you might view this one differently.
2007-03-04 11:52 AM
in reply to: #710188

Extreme Veteran
Cornfield in Northern Iowa
BodyCheck - 2007-03-03 1:15 PM

I'm just a county over from where the incident happened. The biggest problem we've had w/the open carry laws in Virginia the past couple years have been that the police were not aware of the open carry laws, and apparently in some jurisdictions still aren't.

We had a rash of incidents right in a row back in 2004 that got the Ffx Co PD up to speed on things, so it doesn't seem to be an issue in our county as much anymore, but I guess it didn't filter over to the next county.

Now, police officers are human and they can and will make mistakes. What is more disappointing to me is the attitudes displayed by the officers during and after the incident. It doesn't exactly make for a citizenry that respects, trusts or is willing to work with it's local police force.

Its also disappointing to have citizens not realize that officers are human and can make mistakes, somehow "giving" them the right to be a-holes and the "Im better than you cause I knew something you didnt" attitude causing a confrontation that isnt good for either side. Been there done that with those kind of people.

2007-03-04 11:59 AM
in reply to: #710438

Extreme Veteran
Cornfield in Northern Iowa
Marvarnett - 2007-03-03 8:22 PM

Not to get off topic, but this is the same thing when a cop decides to pull a cyclist over for legally riding in the roadway. 

I just hope that this incident causes some training to be conducted.  The last thing you need is a contest between two legally armed people.

You are right, there is always room for training...........on both sides. When I was in Arizona all you needed to get a concealed permit was pay the fee, attend a 8-10 hr class, and shoot a "qualification" course that was so easy it was ridiculous. Next to nothing for training and education to carry. When I went through the Arizona Law Enforcement Academy we had to have at least 54 hrs before we could graduate.
2007-03-04 1:33 PM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Maverick, I completely agree with you.  Both sides need to be educated.  The reason I took the tact that I did was because I thought I read that they (patrons) tried to show the officers the law and they didn't want to see it.

But you're right, as long as training comes out of it and both sides see a path to better enforcement, then it was worth the 'confrontation'.

2007-03-05 8:37 AM
in reply to: #710555

Elite
San Jose, CA

dgunthert - 2007-03-04 12:41 AM But regardless of where you come down on the open carry/concealed argument, they guys in question had done nothing wrong. The last link gives a better timeline of events and makes it clear that the guys had been there for 45 minutes before the police arrived. It was only after a suggestion by the police that the owner asked them to leave. Judging by the fact that they weren't arrested, it seems as if they complied immediately. And as mentioned, this is exactly the same type of thing that we have to deal with when police who are ignorant of the law pull us over while cycling, something that to me is even worse than drivers who don't know the law. Picture the same attitude and treatment coming from a cop in that situation, and you might view this one differently.

in the article, the manager said he asked them to leave because several regulars complained.  I am one of those people that hate guns.  I probably wouldn't have complained, but I would have left the restraunt for fear. 

2007-03-05 11:05 AM
in reply to: #711411

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
I'm not arguing the manager's right to ask them to leave in the least. It's his property and he's free to decline their business.

Here in Texas, there is actually a sign that business owners can display prohibiting concelead weapons (open carry is illegal). Any concealed handgun license owner that carries can immediately be cited and possibly lose their CHL. Personally, I question the logic of posting a sign that lets any potential armed robber know that everyone inside is unarmed.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Guns and Pizza - watcha think? Rss Feed