Chico Running Club
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m 41s
Overall Rank = 145/401
Age Group = 45-50
Age Group Rank = 15/31
Pre-race routine:

Usual toast with peanut butter, bananna, and coffee and water.
Event warmup:

Walked to the race venue, walk to the bathroom. My right foot just didn't feel right, I was afraid that somehow my orthodic has gotten messed up. Took my shoe off (now about 5 minutes till race time) and what do I find - an Airsoft BB in my shoe. Really glad I found that before the race began
Run
  • 1h 52m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Just a little over my goal - I was shooting for 8'30" miles across the board. My finish puts me about a minute and 6 seconds slower than my goal. However, this still is a Personal Best, as my previous time on this same course two years ago was 1 hour, 53 minutes and 37 seconds - So I cut almost a minute off my time. It's nice to see I'm still getting faster (at least in the longer races) even if the improvements are pretty hard-fought. I went from 158th overall down to 145th overall.
What would you do differently?:

Work issues (Snow and EOC activation really messed with my taper). I lost a few long runs due to a short race right before this one - I still need to get my body more comfortable running at an 8:30 pace for longer distances (I did really well until the 6 mile mark).
Post race
Warm down:

I kicked it the last few hundred yards, as the was another runner trying to pass me. I dropped him, but in the process REALLY ramped up my heartrate. Warmdown consisted of finding a quiet spot, in case I "lost my lunch". Anyway, everything worked out OK, and just took a few minutes to get my stomach settled down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I believe this was one of my poorer "mental efforts". For some reason I was not really able to get psyched up for this - and I believe that hurt my speed once I started to get a little tired. I was hoping my brother would be running with me, so we could resurrect the whole "runner vs triathlete" competition we've had going - but he was out of commission by a cold that he can not shake.

Event comments:

Alan, Susan and the Chico Running Club did a fantastic job - the chip timing was a great touch, and really simplified the awards and time-keeping.

Last updated: 2007-02-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:52:41 | 13.1 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/31
Overall: 145/401
Performance: Good
I seem to be mathmatically challenged this afternoon - I can't seem to get the lap splits to add up to the total - close enough, I guess. Mile 1 - 8'17" 2 - 8' 3" 3 - 8'11" 4 - 8'6" 5 - 8' 12" 6 - 8' 20" 7 - 8'52" (can you tell most of my races/training are 6 miles or less) 8 - 8'58" 9 - 9'02" 10 - 10'03" 11 - 7'37" (Where the hell did that come from???) I did find a pace- bunny about that time...... 12 - 8'51" 13 - 10'25 (Way to kick at the end!!!!) 13.1 - 46"
Course: Two loops around Bidwell Park - no traffic, and a gorgeous day
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-03-03 8:57 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Subject: Bidwell Classic

2007-03-04 2:35 PM
in reply to: #710452

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Bidwell Classic

Congrats on the personal best, especially with a poor mental effort.  I guess sometimes we do better when we don't put pressure on our selfs.  Good catch on the BB.

Ernie 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bidwell Classic Rss Feed