General Discussion Race Reports! » Standard Chartered Hong Kong (Half) Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Standard Chartered Hong Kong (Half) Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hong Kong,
Hong Kong, SAR, China
Hong Kong Amateur Athletics Association
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 10m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, dressed, got my gear together. Headed down to the Baggage Check* area arount 5:30a to check-in my after-race change of clothes and nutrition (each runner is given printed claim check and race-length appropriate colored bag to check-in to a specific truck).

*-Note: I learned post-race to NOT use this service if at all possible in the future (see Comments below).

Event warmup:

None really, just walked to the start line. The weather was very warm and humid.
Run
  • 2h 24m 32s
  • 13.11 miles
  • 11m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was great fun through the city streets of Hong Kong, specifically the Tsim Sha Tsui area towards Cheung Sha Wan, then a turnaround back along the same course, under the Western Harbour Tunnel, through Central and ending at the HK Exhibition Center (Wan Chai).

While I did not particularly feel either element, be advised that there were many participants (of all 3 race distances) who commented on the high humidity and air pollution affecting their race. Fortunately, the half-marathon was run in the relatively cool 72F-range. Also, many stated that the "air in the tunnel" (referring to the Western Harbour Tunnel) was exceedingly poor (again I did not notice this problem--I think it was probably mostly psychological and many were simply 'gassed' by this point in the race).
What would you do differently?:

I would *NEVER* use the Baggage Claim service again. It was a NIGHTMARE retrieving your gear afterwards. Fellow BT'er, DK (Celeb_ithil), and I waited approximately 40 minutes to get our bags from the Wan Chai Stadium area; and when we were done there were still people backed up a quarter mile in cordoned-off sections who were looking at probably 90 additional minutes to pick up their bags.

Rather, next time I would be self-sufficient--run with a fuel/gear belt of some sort, complete with a small, lightweight space-blanket if staying-warm afterwards is a concern (hardly ever a concern in warm Hong Kong). Also, the post-race goodies bag contains a banana and a pear, large chocolate bar, chemically-activiated heating-pad, and disposable rain parka.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking along route to the after-run water & food areas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Did not plan to run an all-out 1/2-mary today. Wanted to enjoy the sights and pace with DK (Celeb_ithil).

But running through all the slow-runners and walkers (10km participants on the same course) would've been a challenge to any fast finishing time.

If you wanted to run all-out, it would behoove you to get to the race start very early; and to sprint away from the main pack. The RD had 3 separate 10K waves and the 1/2-mary all out on the same course. So you had alot of non-runners (outright walkers) on the course to circumnavigate (see Comments below).

Event comments:

If you're ever in Hong Kong during this race, this is a MUST DO. You will never be able to run through the city streets of a crowded urban area like Hong Kong elsewise.

Again, if you're going for an all out race or PR, definitely get to the front of the starting line and outrun the main pack--or you'll be dodging slow runner and walkers the entire race as evidence by the following news story.

The local English-language paper, The South China Morning Post, had the following Half Marathon story filed:

"Slowcoaches blamed for crush in tunnel, by Matthew Scott

While the 30,000 or so runners in the 10km event were delighted to be running the roads, their simple weight ofnumbers had a few temperatures rising.

For many in the half-marathon field, the sight of a wall of humanity straining before them was the last thing they wanted to see when steaming towards the Western Harbour Tunnel.

The staggered start fo the 10km event--runners took off at 5.30am, 5.50am, and 7.05am--meant that the course still had thousands of competitors of varying ability pounding the pavement when the half marathoners took their turn back towards the city from Kwai Chung. Once they reached the tunnel, there was mayhem. Many in the field said afterwards they had to push less serious athletes aside in the tunnel and during the race to the finishing line.

'There were simply too many runners out there, there was not enough space for us,' said blind Kenyan runner Henry Wanyoike, who runs with a guide and says he found his path blocked on countless occasions.

'I think they [the 10km runners] just didn't know they had to get out of the way.'

Half-marathon third-placegetter Kirk Sebean admitted the race winner--Shinsaku Sakanaka--was far too good but the chasing pack was at times more concerned with staying on their feet.

'We couldn't get through them,' he said. 'There were times when I saw Henry struggling and I know the big crowd affected final finishing times for the half-marathon field.'

Roberto Veneziana, who finished in the first category of the men's masters half marathon, had a siple solution to the problem.

'You entered the tunnel and you had to push people out of the way,' he said. 'People were falling over. The best thing organisers can do in the future is separate the lanes for the two races and then everyone will be happy.'"

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-03-02 12:00 AM
Running
02:24:32 | 13.11 miles | 11m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 146
Course: Undulating course, lots of slow rollers (overpasses, bridges, and underwater tunnels). Preparing on similar terrain would be advisable. Training on the flats will leave you unprepared for the challenge of this course. For map: enter following URL in your browser: http://home.comcast.net/~guncollector/pics/hkhalfmary.jpg
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-04 4:38 AM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
Subject: Standard Chartered Hong Kong (Half) Marathon

2007-03-04 10:32 AM
in reply to: #710557

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Standard Chartered Hong Kong (Half) Marathon

Great running with you, and nice pictures.  Would you please send me the ones with me in to my email?  Thanks. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Standard Chartered Hong Kong (Half) Marathon Rss Feed