Trievents
33C / 91F
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 255/495
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 68/118
Pre-race routine:

Registered the day before. Ate a big pasta lunch then toast & a banana for dinner. Got everything packed & ready the night before. Had a checklist that I double & triple checked! in bed by 9pm. Got up at 5am, breakfast of porridge plus a Berocca. Then I fed and dog & cat and left at 5.30am. Drank lots of water on the way there. Transition area was chaos! Lots of girls on mobile phones talking to other girls about how stressed they were!!!
Event warmup:

Made sure I did this properly this time! Jogged about 500m, lots of stretching, got in the water a paddled around a bit before my wave start.
Swim
  • 04m 16s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

This is by far my best swim ever! I was smokin'!!! I tried out drafting for the first time and it was amazing, I was just dragged along! It seemed like I'd only just started and was suddenly at the finish. The swim squad training is definitely working!
What would you do differently?:

Pretty happy, I find though that when I'm going flat out I only breathe unilateral so need to work on that.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I'm getting pretty quick at this. Got some dirt inside my socks but it wasn't an issue in the end.

Not much, happy.
Bike
  • 25m 3s
  • 10 kms
  • 23.95 km/hr
Comments:

My best cycle time ever. The time includes T1 & T2 so I think I was actually going something like 25-26km/hr. I passed heaps of girls, but its not hard when they're on MTB's! Went down on the lower bars for a large portion of the ride and it really helped with my speed. I'm thinking about getting tribars. I got yelled at a bit by the officials because I wasn't keeping left enough, but it was because there were girls all over the road and I was trying not to draft anyone (I was going so well I didn't want to get disqualified!!!). I was going faster than a lot of them anyway. Oh well. I also dropped my water bottle, was really annoyed because it was my official Rosie's one! Luckily I had a back up bottle on my other cage so didn't get dehydrated, although I reckon I should have drunk more.

Can't really complain but increase fitness, get quicker on bike, get tribars?? Don't drop water bottles!!!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I thought I had memorised my place on the rack pretty well but I still went past it. Luckily didn't lose much time over it though.

Happy.
Run
  • 17m 59s
  • 3 kms
  • 05m 59s  min/km
Comments:

OK so I had an excellent swim and a good ride, but the run was seriously shithouse. I am just a really bad runner. Not surprising really, I'm 27 years old and had never run a km in my life until about a year ago! I think if I improved my running I would become quite competitive because I make good time in the swim/bike, then everyone passes me on the run! I have noticed subtle improvements though, I run with higher knees and cadence than I used to. My posture is a lot better too. Plus I used to do 7 min kms and now looks like its 6 min kms so I shouldn't complain too much.

Buckle down over winter and do some serious run training (my 2 month Europe trip is a slight hitch in this plan!!!).
Post race
Warm down:

Water, Carboshotz drink and apple. Chatted with friends, yelled support for my friends who were doing the long course :) Mum came to watch me for the first time which I was really chuffed about.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness. Running ability. I'm getting to the point where I feel like I could do a longer swim & bike leg but the run is always a struggle, so if I work on that then hopefully I'll do some long course tris next season!

Event comments:

By far my best tri ever performance wise. I feel like I'm getting to the point where I am becoming competitive. It was a great feeling to come middle of the field instead of almost last. Competing against complete novices helped no doubt :) Everyone was so supportive, it was all so girly :) Everyone cheered when the first swim wave started off. Definitely a tri that I am going to do again. Might aim for the long course next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-03-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:16 | 300 meters | 01m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/118
Overall: 203/495
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Deep water start. Swam parallel to short before making a right turn into shore.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:25:03 | 10 kms | 23.95 km/hr
Overall: 175/495
Wind: Strong
Course: Out & back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:17:59 | 03 kms | 05m 59s  min/km
Overall: 349/495
Performance: Bad
Course: Out & back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-05 4:43 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: Rosie O'Grady's Women's Triathlon

2007-03-05 7:19 PM
in reply to: #711262

Perth
Subject: RE: Rosie O'Grady's Women's Triathlon

Nice work...best swim and ride...the running will come.

Your regular training seems to be working...keep up the good work.

2007-03-05 8:16 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Nice job! Looks like it was a fun race. You are doing great with the run, keep up the hard work!

Congratulations!

Bill

2007-03-06 11:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

great race report

Rosie's race is a great race with so many people doing their first race I would have liked to do that one again this year.  maybe next year I'll fit it in.

bummer about dropping your water bottle I know all about that.  its not fun at all!

2007-03-07 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Thanks for the support guys!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rosie O'Grady's Women's Triathlon Rss Feed