General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Under Armor? Yes or No? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-08 11:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Subject: Under Armor? Yes or No?
Although this goes against my entire being (I merchansides U.S. cotton worldwide), I have read the benefits of synthetic fibers to retain precious body heat during cool/cold weather workouts. Unlike Soloflex commercials, my body doesn't look good in skin tight garments, or leotards for that matter. Is this overpriced underwear or would someone be better served buying Starter or Russell synthetic tops and bottoms at K-Mart or Wal-Mart?

2004-01-09 12:22 AM
in reply to: #3454

Subject: RE: Under Armor? Yes or No?
i think synthetic fibers are pretty awesome. the cycling clothing you can get for the winter is amazing and the running gear is sweet too. its all about layering. my fiance works at nike so i have a lot of their drifit stuff which is great, mizuno also have a really sweet running suit that isnt skin tight. basically - the dri fit allows you to put on a base top that wicks the sweat away from your skin so you can run/bike in the hot or cold and stay dry and comfy. i wear a long sleeve dri fit top (not too tight) in the winter with dri fit running tights and a vest to keep my chest a bit warmer, all u need are gloves and a hat and youre good to go in the worst conditions. the problem with cotton is that it a) gets soaked with sweat b) doesnt move the sweat away from your skin - thus you feel too hot or too cold and your shift, trackpants, whatever, just gets heavier the more you sweat. there are also a lot of niche companies that make some really good wicking gear. craft is another good base layer brand. happy hunting!
2004-01-09 2:32 AM

User image

Expert
England

I'd second that view - I use dri-fit tops and tights from Nike, Adidas etc and they are excellent in winter and summer. I also have a Concurve Gore jacket that is totally wind and rain proof and also very breathable. It's great running in windy days or sub-zero days with just a single layer beneath it. I really notice the benefits of the fabric at the moment as I tend to wear thin running gloves and an earwarmer headband (fleece) due to the cold. When I get back these are usually both soaked in sweat while my tops and tights are dry and warm!

My tip is try to find a jacket with zip-off sleeves as you get so much more wear from it on cooler spring/autumn days as a vest and when colder/wetter with the sleeves on!

2004-01-09 5:34 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
I received for Christmas some Under Armour long sleeve tops and love them. Would I of spent $50 for each, I doubt it but the do keep me nice and warm with only a long sleeve shirt covering and I haven't needed a jacket yet. Temps in the 30's mostly. I haven't ran in the 20's yet. I hate the cold.

I would also say that I don't look anything like Michael Vick in those commercials wearing the skin tight stuff but I am smart enough to cover myself. I also have some running tights, which my son calls my ballerina pants, that again I don't look great in but I wear a pair of shorts over them.

The UA summer shirts are a lot more reasonable in price and since I like the winter clothes I may purchase a shirt or two for then. They are like 1/2 the price. I can say that this is the first time I have even thought about clothing for anything. When I trained in the past I would just put on my cotton shirt and take off, or put on several layers of cotton shirts. Either way I was always soaked and if cold outside then I would be freezing. With the synthetic material I have been soaked/heavy or cold. I would imagine that the Russell or Champion shirts work just as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Under Armor? Yes or No? Rss Feed