Sarasota Marathon, Inc.
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 20m 3s
Overall Rank = 38/557
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/71
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00 and immediately drank 20 ounces of water. Took a shower and ate a bagel with peanut butter and drank 16 ounces of coffee on the way to the race (about a 45 minute drive from my folks' house in North Port. Arrived a little later than I would have liked and had only one chance to pop into a port-a-potty.
Event warmup:

Stretched. That is about all I do for a marathon as I will have 26+ miles to warmup!
Run
  • 3h 20m 3s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

The Sarasota Marathon was to be my first attempt at qualifying for Boston. My PR is 3:29:51 set back in May of 2005. I have run one marathon since then (NYC) but did not train enough and bonked soon after the 59th Street Bridge. Knocking 9 minutes off my PR was an aggressive goal but one I thought could be accomplished.

Here are my splits and associated thoughts:

Mile 1 (7:31 Average for first two miles): It is pitch black out and although the start area is illuminated, once we are out on the course it is very difficult to see. The weather is perfect and I actually needed a sweatshirt while we were waiting for the race to start. We are running through some neighborhoods that run alongside the bay but if the bay is out there or if these are nice homes I would never know. It is so dark that I miss the first mile marker.

Mile 2 (7:31 Average for first two miles): I see mile marker number 2 and after hitting the split button on my watch I determine that I have averaged 7:31 for the first two miles. I was concerned that I had gone out too fast as there were many more half marathoners than full marathoners and their pace got me a little excited. I determine that 7:30 is pretty good and, truth be told, I feel fantastic. With the exception of having to go pee, I believe that I can hold a 7:40 pace today.

Mile 3 (7:44): We are still running through some neighborhoods and it is beginning to get light. I am watching my pace on my Garmin satellite watch and I am holding an effortless 7:40 pace.

Mile 4 (7:44): We head out onto Tamiami Trail (better known as Highway 41) and this is easily the busiest thoroughfare in Sarasota. They have closed off the far lane of the highway but I realize that I should have taken care of my “issue” earlier because now I am in the wide open on a major highway. The pace still feels strong and I am happy with the split.

Mile 5 (8:07): I decide that it is time to “relieve” myself and I duck behind a sign that blocks me from runners and Southbound traffic (sorry Northbound traffic). After a quick stop I am off and running. I know that my split is going to be slow here but I attempt to make it up over the next several miles. The 8:07 is better than I anticipated but without the benefit of a pace band (still can not believe that I forgot to make one) I am assuming that I am behind schedule. I also know that the next mile is the “Bridge” mile.

Mile 6 (7:28): I know I have picked up the pace a little bit to make up for my stop but I can’t go too fast because the Ringling Causeway is coming up. This is the first of two hills on the course (the second being the return back over the bridge). I concentrate on leaning forward and not "braking" on the downhill section of the bridge. I think I make up all the time lost on the climb and this is a good mile.

Mile 7 (7:38): We are heading out on Lido Key now but it is geting very lonely as the half marathoners have peeled off and are heading back toward the start line. The crowd is sparse after the bridge and I know that I am in for a lonely run from here on.

Mile 8 (7:36): I am pacing myself with a couple of guys who appear to be running 7:40s. I pass one guy and he mentions that he has already qualified for Boston with a 3:19 and is running this as a tune up. He had hoped to hold a 3:20 pace but he did not feel it was in the cards. Too bad. I could have used the company. This is another good mile and I am happy with the splits.

Mile 9 (7:10): We pass through City Island Park where we would hang out as teenagers and imbibe (hope my Mom doesn't read this). This mile seems short because I do not believe that I was running 7:10s. Rather than slow down I decide to keep a consistent pace and see what the next mile says.

Mile 10 (8:12): Sure enough! Mile 9 must have been off by a little bit. There is no way that I ran an 8:12 at this point. That would have been 30 seconds off of my pace.

Mile 11 (7:40): We are out on Lido Key running along side of the public beach. I ran several 10Ks as a teenager out here and it brings back some fond memories. There is little crowd support but at least I am distracted by the beach and the occassional tourist. I am still running a consistent pace and feel pretty strong.

Mile 12 (7:30): The mile 12 marker is in the parking lot of South Lido Park. Our family would come here when my brother and I were kids. It was less crowded than the public beaches and there was some good snorkeling over in the "grass flats". I have been trying to pace myself with some runners but it seems like every time I find someone with a good pace they decide to walk the water stops. I am not a water-stop-walker so I just head on my way. It is during this mile that a guy who must be in his late 60s or early 70s passes me. I am impressed.

Mile 13 (7:29): Halfway home and I am feeling good. We are running by some nice homes that I have never seen before and my pace is strong. I wish I had my pace band because even though I know I am running strong, I still have no idea whether I am ahead of or behind my planned 7:35-7:40 pace.

Mile 14 (7:35): We are heading back toward the mainland and I know the bridge is coming again. I am not too concerned because I felt strong going over it. This is a nice mile.

Mile 15 (7:47): The 15 mile marker is at the top of the bridge. That means that I did not have the benefit of the downhill to temper the split but I was still able to kick out a 7:47. My confidence is building ... will it hold out?

Mile 16 (7:30): The next couple of miles we loop through a neighborhood and do a curl around the Harts Landing area (bait shack). Seems like the race director is attempting to add some length to the course at this point because we are not making much forward progress. I concentrate on my pace.

Mile 17 (7:36): We are now back on Highway 41 and it is the prettiest section of the highway. It overlooks Sarasota Bay and there are hundreds of boats in the marina and floating in the bay. The sun is shining and it is very pretty. I try not to get too distracted and manage to pump out another strong mile.

Mile 18 (8:01): Hmmm? This is a slow mile time wise but I do not feel like I have dropped off pace. I consider that there was a mis-marked mile earlier on and I decide to hold my pace and see if the next mile corrects it.

Mile 19 (7:11): Thank goodness! The last mile must have been mismarked by a little bit because I did not pick up my pace but still managed a 7:11 mile. We are on Orange Ave and Osprey Ave. This is a nice area of town and I am looking forward to hitting the 20 mile marker to assess my condition.

Mile 20 (7:33): Allez! I am at mile 20 and I have NEVER felt this good at this point in a marathon (this is number 6). I am not sure I have ever felt this good at mile 15 of any previous marathon. I even consider picking up the pace at this point. I think better of it and decide to stay in my zone.

Mile 21 (7:38 Average for miles 21 and 22): I do not believe that I missed this mile marker but I must not have hit my split button hard enough. The pace over the next two miles is perfect even though I feel like I could finish with some gas in the tank.

Mile 22 (7:38 Average for miles 21 and 22): We circle over by Harts Landing again and we run by the pier where my brother Brian and would fish as kids. I get passed by a second person. She is an attractive blonde who I had noticed earlier in the race and she has put the hammer down. Kudos to her!

Mile 23 (7:43): Uh oh! I am feeling "IT". My breathing has picked up and my legs are starting to get that dead feeling. I start telling myself "Pain is Temporary, Boston is Forever". I concentrate on the glory and start picturing myself running through the finish line having qualified for Boston. Pain is Temporary, Boston is Forever!

Mile 24 (7:40): Pain is Temporary, Boston is Forever! Pain is Temporary, Boston is Forever! Pain is Temporary, Boston is Forever! It is soooooo lonely at this point! We are running thru neighborhoods and no one is out. I am passing a couple of people who have bonked and have resorted to the run-walk-run shuffle. No way! Pain is Temporary, Boston is Forever!

Mile 25 (7:43): Pain is Temporary, Boston is Forever! Oh my! I am really feeling it. No crowd support and I have not idea where I am with my time. I have no ability to do math but I have a feeling that I am about 2 minutes ahead of my BQ time of 3:20:59. Pain is Temporary, Boston is Forever!

Mile 26 (8:56 for last 1.2 miles – 7:27 pace): DIG! DIG! Pain is Temporary, Boston is Forever! Pain is Temporary, Boston is Forever! My brother Brian sees me with about a tenth of a mile to go and he can not remember if I need 3:20 or 3:20:59. He had just finished his first half marathon about 90 minutes ago and he starts yelling at me as he runs beside me "you got it! Kick it Chris! Kick it Chris!". I cross the finish line and look at my watch ... 3:20:03! I did it! A dream I have had since I was a teenager will be realized in April 2008 when I toe the line at the Boston Marathon!
What would you do differently?:

I wish I had enjoyed the moment at the finish a little more. I had 56 seconds to spare and I was sprinting and grunting and groaning for the last 2 tenths. It was not necessary. I would have rather reveled in the moment. Also, I should have remembered a pace band.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched, stretched and stretched. Had a bunch of oranges and water and then Mom, Dad, Brian and I went to Philipi Creek Oyster Bar for a celebratory lunch! Brian completed his first half marathon in 1:44:47 and I qualified for Boston! What a great day. I just wish my wife and kids could have made the trip down from Atlanta for the weekend as well.

Last updated: 2007-03-06 12:00 AM
Running
03:20:03 | 26.2 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/71
Overall: 38/557
Performance: Good
Course: Flat except for the Ringling Causeway heading out to Lido Key and the same bridge coming back. The hill is about 1/3 of a mile and not tremendously steep (enough for tall boats to get under as this was a draw bridge when I was a kid growing up in Sarasota).
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-03-06 9:28 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Sarasota Marathon Grouper Run

2007-03-06 12:52 PM
in reply to: #713063

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Subject: RE: Sarasota Marathon Grouper Run
Great race report and congrats on the BQ!!!!
2007-03-06 7:23 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Boston Qualified!!! That is just awesome - One of the holy grail's of this endurance-sport business we're in. . Congratulations, that is a huge accomplishment.

c
2007-03-07 7:52 AM

User image

New user
Thanks! I was born in Boston and we have family throughout the New England area. It has always been a dream (one I never believed I could ever attain) to run Boston ... can't wait!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sarasota Marathon Grouper Run Rss Feed