Stanford Tri Team
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 12s
Overall Rank = 70/441
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/24
Pre-race routine:

Got to transition really early, got a great spot, plenty of time to get ready.
Event warmup:

1 mile run, 300ish yds swim.
Swim
  • 08m 59s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Holy crap - it was a battle in the pool. More fighting than swimming. Went much harder than I would have otherwise, but didn't overdo it. Mostly just fighting to get some space to move, stroke and breathe.
What would you do differently?:

Punch harder.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Very fast transition, but still need to work on getting my shoes on faster - it's consistently the worst part of my transition.
Bike
  • 34m 49s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 21.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt great on the bike, except for mechanical difficulties - wheel was rubbing on fairing whenever I pushed hard (ie: out of the saddle climbing) - luckily didn't have to climb much, but I came to an almost complete stop on the one short climb... then it was all smooth sailing, a bit of rubbing, but I doubt it cost me too much time.

Had a great time chasing people down on the downhills - really used the PT to spur me on to push hard while others were recovering.

More thorough pre-ride check. I put on my race wheels, checked the gears and did a few laps around the parking lot - need to get out for a couple of miles at least and open it up, push hard, make sure everything is working.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Very fast T2 - I rode for about 1/4 mile with my feet on my shoes since I didn't know where the entrance to T2 was exactly and didn't want to be caught by surprise with my feet still in my shoes.

Pre-ride the course.
Run
  • 23m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Mediocre run - felt like I was giving it my all, but I wasn't very fast. The limiting factor seemed to be oxygen - my HR was surprisingly low - around 162, compared to 180 on the bike, but I couldn't get it higher due to inability to get the air I needed. Legs were tired but could have gone faster. Maybe a bit of exercise induced asthma? It's not really allergy season, but the warm weather might have started some things blooming - time to get out the inhaler. I suppose it's also possible I went too hard on the bike, but my legs weren't too tired...

Seeing Zipp on the run really helped me to dig as deep as I could.

Asthma medication?
Post race
Warm down:

not much.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

mechanical issues, training, asthma (??)

Event comments:

Excellent race - well organized, on time, good volunteers.
Pics: http://public.fotki.com/scottf2/triathlon/stanford-treathlon-2007/

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-03-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:59 | 547 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/24
Overall: 171/441
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:49 | 12.43 miles | 21.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/24
Overall: 17/441
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:24 | 03.11 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/24
Overall: 197/441
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-06 10:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
Subject: Treeathlon

2007-03-06 1:48 PM
in reply to: #713180

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Treeathlon

Nice race!!

2nd in your AG...sweet...seems like the PM helped you paced well and push harder on the bike...awesome! Like that 17th OA on the bike...nice!

So what power numbers did you aim for? your FTP as it was a sprint? I wonder how it will correspond to the Allen/Coggan book's estimate of % of FTP folks can hold for tris?

Congrats!

2007-03-06 2:47 PM
in reply to: #713559

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

Thanks Kathy!

I was shooting for about 105% of my FT - I generally try to push about as hard as I think I can on the bike for sprints - I've found that it doesn't effect my run much (this is only for sprints, MUCH different for longer races...) So I was shooting for around 280-290 watts. (FT right now is about 270). This was a really short and easy bike course, with only one or two minor hills that come in the first 1/3 of the course, and the rest is flat or very gradual downhill, so I knew I didn't have to hold anything back.

I looked at the race data last night - I think my normalized power was 278, so right about what I was aiming for. I find that I have to pick a slightly higher "target" number, so that when I look down at the PT display, I can try to push a little higher than I actually want to average, and then when I'm not looking, it probably sneaks down a bit...

This is my first full season racing with power (got the PT at the end of last season) so I'm still working out the kinks, but I really like it. It helps me focus and takes my mind off the pain a bit.

I'm really enjoying using the PT, but my real goal for this season is to get better at running - last year I worked hard on swimming, and moved up quite a bit in the rankings, and this year I hope to do the same with running.

Thanks again for the kind words and good luck with the powermeter.

Scott 

2007-03-10 9:21 AM
in reply to: #713180

New user

Nice race! I was wondering who's P3 carbon that was. Now I know sweet bike. Where did you pick it up at? I was in your AG. I hear you about the start of the swim. I had planned to draft my buddy but that plan went right out of the window, when I got pummeled on the first turn. Burned way too much energy trying to flee the melee at the start. Was like 15 seconds behind you on the swim. Lost track of how many laps I had done and had to ask my brother who was watchcing how many laps had gone by...How embarassing Then cramped on the bike...limped back for the run

I thought that the race was well organized and given the number of heats...went really smoothly. Congrats on the finish. That was an amazing bike leg. I live in Palo Alto and do that portion of the ride all the time. To be able to sustain that speed is impressive especially on the back end with those rollers. You must have been flying on Alpine Road! Looking at the pics you posted...awesome Was thinking about the UC davis race next. We shall see. Take care.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Treeathlon Rss Feed