General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So, what'd you think about the MAP? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-10 1:25 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: So, what'd you think about the MAP?
This was the first time I had done the race at the new location, so here are my thoughts:

1. I thought that the "packet" for the race was horrible. I got nothing but my tshirt (which I guess is fine since thats all that matters). I was talking to the Rudy Project guy after the race and he said they had special discounts for participants for the packets. I didnt get one though, did those of you who picked up packets on Friday get one?
2. I thought the volunteers were helpful but overwhelmed. Many times I had no idea where to go and just had to kinda figure it all out. There werent many on the bike course at all, which was surprising to me.
3. I dont like the run for this tri at all. Almost got taken out by a car on the gravel road piece during my second lap. I dont mind being hit by cars on the bike, but on the run? Craziness.
4. The swim went very well, very fluid. I thought they did a good job of moving people through.
5. The aquatic center was actually pretty nice. I had never been there before but I was glad to see a lot of restrooms
6. The final turn on the bike really sucks. I actually got stuck in traffic and it cost me maybe a minute or more overall. I didnt like that at all.

Overall I wouldnt do this race again because of the run and craziness of the overall course but I do think I will volunteer next year as that seems like a need.

2007-03-10 1:33 PM
in reply to: #718425

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: So, what'd you think about the MAP?
I agree that there was a need for more volunteers. There weren't any thru the business park which might have slowed down those unfamiliar with the course. I also got stuck in traffic on Statesville Rd. That sucked, but I don't know that there is a solution. Short of closing the road to traffic--which I don't think would happen.

The run was miserable. I don't mind the variety of terrain but the uneven-ness (is that a word) was rough on the legs. They did do a good job of flattening out the off-road section behind the HAC. We ran it two weeks ago and it was horrible. Much better today. There is a 5k road run course that leaves from the HAC. I've run in twice for 5k's. If they could get the town to shut down northbound Mt Holly Huntersville at Statesville, you could substitute that for the current run.

I think the guys at Set Up did a great job with the hand they are dealt for that site. It's a great swim location. I didn't meet my own expectations for the race, but I enjoyed myself none the less. Way to go BT'ers. We had a lot of first timers finish today!!
2007-03-10 1:41 PM

Veteran
Greensboro, North Carolina
I agree about the volunteers. The ones that were there were trying to be helpful there just wasn't enough of them.

I thought there was too much traffic for the bike course. At one point I had to stop because there was a car that was turning left onto another street and there was no room on the right to pass the cars so I had to wait until the car was able to make a left turn to before I could continue on.

Not sure about having one young girl at the turnaround for the second lap on the run. I was coming to that point with nobody else around and heard her say second lap to the left first lap go around the tree then she turned away I guess. Because with nobody in front of me I couldn't tell I was suppose to run around that 1 inch thick tree. So I kept going up the sidewalk until a spectator yelled out to turn around.

No complaints about the weather though!!!
2007-03-10 1:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
Yup, weather was great. I too didnt hit my times based on what my watch said but I am happy nonetheless. I can say this was the first triathlon I have done where I passed people on the run, so, I must be doing something right in training

Great job all!
2007-03-10 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
As one of those "first time" BT'er's I had a blast! As a long time spectator and first time competitor somethings I noticed:

* not enough volunteer's. I heard a few people say that the Corporate Cup had taken up the majority of "volunteer"s.
* The swim was far better than I expected for a pool swim
* The "facilities" were great inside the swim - plenty of bathrooms to care for those pre-race jitters.
* I did not like the "shoulder of the road" running section. Way to rough and uneven - tough on the knees and hip flexors.
* The weather was AWESOME!
* Bigger water cups at the finish line - or fill the ones they had with Jello-shooters!

Overall I had a great time and now I looking for more races to do than the three I already signed up for

- Slick - I walked around looking for you but did not catch ya before the start...maybe another race.
2007-03-10 6:32 PM
in reply to: #718548

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
I had a blast too...hey, are the times posted ? Didn't see them when I quickly browsed the setup site.

2007-03-10 6:37 PM
in reply to: #718625

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
We asked Bill about 'when' will the times make it on the site, he said it would be around 9pm tomorrow. Maybe sooner - but it will be tomorrow.
2007-03-10 6:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
Yeah they had prelim times going up at the Setup tent every 20mins or so, other than that, tomorrow night they should be there.
2007-03-10 7:02 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC

TOMORROW???? WTF?

I had a blast today!  Great event.  Yeah I noticed the lack of volunteers, but I guess it didn't phase me since I knew the course.

I'll write up more later.

Good job everyone!!!!!

2007-03-10 7:10 PM

User image

Veteran
I think that I'm just now starting to feel human again (8pm). I guess I never quite realized how tough this sport is. Really disappointed in my swim, but had a great time overall. Met a lot of really great people and enjoyed bonding with all you BTers! I've got some pictures of a few of you that I will either email to you or post somewhere for everybody to look at.
2007-03-11 6:54 AM
in reply to: #718642

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
I can claim stupid rookie mistake #1:

If you're gonna buy a race belt to use for bib #.... IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO ACTUALLY USE IT AND PUT IT ON IN T2....LOL.

Bet I got penalized for that.

Will post more later.

2007-03-11 9:46 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC

Did you all hear about the guy that was running with his bike helmet on?  hehehehe... sorry Eric.  Glad you caught it before you got on to Statesville, though.

As for the course, I was never a fan of that run course.  The hill was the dumbest part.  I'm suprised they didn't just shut down Verhoff (or limit it more) and have the run out and back on that road.  Half run, half bike route.

I liked the bike course.  But since I've been on it a few times, I didn't notice the lack of volunteers.  But I can see where people would have gotten lost.  At some intersections, they should have at least marked the turns (particularly the business park).  Oh... and I almost saw this a-hole driver run over a rider in front of me in the park.  He came over behind her and almost rear ended her.  Idiot.  It was right before Mt Holly and I was hoping he'd still be stopped by the cop so I could yell at him. 

I thought the pool was great!  And I have to say, for my first tri, this was a cool deal.  I really liked being able to watch the speedy people swim, and then watch them in T1 (heck... some in T2) before I started.  And it was great for socializing with all sorts of people.  It helped to calm any fears.  (but I really wasn't nervous... I think the Aidan ordeal cleared me of all that)

Yes, the race bag stunk.  I thought there'd be a lot more.  I've seen a lot better stuff at 5k's.  Strange.  Although that wasn't top of mind either so I really didn't care.

Overall, since it was my first Tri, I had a blast!!! Great to see everyone and I'm sorry I didn't meet up with others.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So, what'd you think about the MAP? Rss Feed