Shelburne, Vermont
United States
35F / 2C
Total Time = 42m 1s
Overall Rank = 6/20
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Light breakfast, light stretching, light hydration. I had a gel pack about 45 minutes before race time. I also ate a banana. I got to the race about a half hour ahead of time so I could mill around getting ready. There were some serious looking runners there. One guy had just shorts and a long sleeved shirt on--BRRR! He scared me. There were other guys that I knew were uber-runners from the looks of them. I always wonder what I look like to other people.
Event warmup:

Just took my time and jogged a bit up and down the parking lot to get some blood moving. It was my first 10k race and I was a bit nervous. Also, it was way windy out and with it blowing over the snow in the fields, it felt a bit chilly to be standing around.
Run
  • 42m 1s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt OK, lagged a little in the middle. The first 2 miles were good. The hill didn't seem that big going down it, but when i hit the turnaround point and looked up, I was a bit dismayed. Attacked it as well as I could and was breathing pretty hard at the top. The other side was as bit of a downhill so that allowed for some breath-catching. And all those guys I was intimidated by? No need for intimidation--they are in a different league. I just keep telling myself that they don't have 3 kids under the age of 6....
What would you do differently?:

NOT hammer out 5 miles the day before. I didn't think I was going to do this race until Friday afternoon when I spur-of-the-moment entered it. I am trying to use it all for training for the couple of 1/2 marathons and sprint tri's that are happening this summer.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Again, the running the day before the race isn't such a good idea.

Last updated: 2007-03-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:01 | 06.21 miles | 06m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 6/20
Performance: Good
1st lap was 6:35, second was 5:51. I gotta figure that the mile markers were a bit off for that mile, although the wind was propelling me along at a good clip and it was downhill. If that's the case, then that was the fastest mile I have ever run. I kind of reserve my excitement though.
Course: Out and back with 1 major hill. The route was pretty, with minimal traffic for a Saturday morning. The hill didn't seem that big going down it, but when i hit the turnaround point and looked up, I was a bit dismayed. Attacked it as well as I could and was breathing pretty hard at the top. The other side was as bit of a downhill so that allowed for some breath-catching.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes