Tri-Tucson
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 46s
Overall Rank = 149/180
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 19/23
Pre-race routine:

I got a late start to the night and went to bed near mid-night. So the alarm woke me partially excited to get to the race. I frantically ran around the house making sure I had everything. I went to put my bike on the new bike carrier on the rear of our car and realized I put it together wrong and had to do some quick fixing. We got everything going and out the door we went with only my Labrada shake in me for food.
I decided to try something other than Gatorade as it wasn’t doing the trick for the muscle cramps. I grabbed a bunch of different Vitamin Water drinks especially with potassium. More on this later.
We got there around 5:20 (T1 opened at 5) and most of the really good spots were already taken. I did get a spot over near the end of a rack. I did all the regular things. I set out and planned my transitions, pumped up my tires to 120 psi, and continued to hydrate. While standing around waiting for my swim start a guy from the Elite section walked over and asked if he could borrow my tire pump. He went on to explain he just had a flat riding his bike from the car to the transition area. I quickly said sure no problem. I saw he was pumping the tires on a brand new Cervelo P3C and I wandered over to check out his bike. He looked up and said,” I’ll bring it back quick!” I realized he thought I was stalking my pump and let him know I was just admiring the ride. We had a little laugh about that. He finished up and handed me the pump and introduced himself as Emilio De Soto. I asked if there was any connection with the clothes. He said it was his company and proceeded to give me his card and told me to drop him an e-mail and he would send me a code to get his clothes at a discount! Sweet, I met Emilio De Soto.
While watching the first waves of swimmers the crowd was informed of a celebrity in out midst. The second wave was the wave where all the relay teams started. The one thing no one expected was Michelle Jones in the water, RACING. But there she was killing the pool. She did the swim with an average 1:11/100 yards! She was doing the swim and bike while someone else was doing the run. By the time the third wave had started we saw her on the bike from the high deck. She was chasing down a motorcycle at an incredible speed.
Swim
  • 14m 45s
  • 825 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was excellently organized as usual for the Tucson Tri series. At minute 67 our swim wave started. The effort felt like Wednesday’s swim. It felt fast but with little effort. Before I knew it I was out of the water and running down into T1.
What would you do differently?:

It was a great swim. No times yet...
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Judge Susan Bacal had set up her transition area next to mine and she was cheering me on through transition. I had a little balance issue trying to get my socks on. But I got out and riding fast. I even did a BMX style jump to the saddle!

T1 and T2 Lumped Into Bike Time

Slow DOWN and concentrate on the task at hand and stop worry about what to do next.
Bike
  • 37m 36s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.15 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out and had the straw of my aero-bottle whipping around. The roads were very smooth except for Euclid, as usual. This time the little yellow mesh covering the fill hole of the aero-bottle popped out and of course ¾’s of the Vitamin Water in the bottle began to cover me. I placed my left hand over the hole and tried to steer with the right. That was fun. I finally got back to smooth road and decided to drain the rest of the bottle before getting back to Euclid on the second lap. The rest of the ride was uneventful and fast.

Get a better solution for a top on my aero-bottle.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

The second transition was quick. It was nice not having to deal with the Camelback. Nothing really held me up and it felt fairly quick.

NADA
Run
  • 30m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started nice enough. I started slow expecting the calves to cramp and the started to. But by ½ mile the cramps went away and the legs started moving with less effort. My pace got quicker and few people were passing me. By mile 3 I was in full stride and kicking hard.
I went into this race treating it as a C race. I didn’t go in expecting to break any personal records. That being said I was astonished when I came across the finish line and saw the total time clock was at 2:29:30, meaning I finished approximately 1:22:30 a full two minutes faster than October’s race! I finished faster and it felt like a lot less effort. Of course being about 10 pounds lighter helped!

Nothing, the best tri-run to date.
Post race
Warm down:

FOOD as much as possible and more Vitamin Water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't push my self as hard as I could have. If I had really pushed there is no doubt I could have been under 1:20:00.

Event comments:

Another great Tucson Tri Series race. The new sponsors and the shindig at TriSports were great.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-01-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:45 | 825 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/180
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-Shorts
Course: Hillenbrand Pool at the University of Arizona
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:36 | 12 miles | 19.15 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: Mostly flat with some up-hill and some down-hill. The streets were great except for Euclid Ave. again.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:24 | 03.1 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Course: Flat run through UofA campus.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-03-12 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Subject: Holualoa Tucson Triathlon

2007-03-12 1:26 PM
in reply to: #719967

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas
Subject: RE: Holualoa Tucson Triathlon
Hey! What a great way to start the season with a PR race!  Pretty cool that you got to rub shoulders with 2 celebrities.
2007-03-12 1:50 PM

Pro
AZ
Awesome job!! And riding down Euclid with the sponge out of your aero bottler....I can't even imagine! Riding down a rail road track would be smoother than that road! I bet you got totally covered!  Very cool that you had a PR!!  Great job!!!
2007-03-12 2:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Great job buddy. Now let us all know when we should put our orders in for De Soto gear.
2007-03-12 2:32 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Congrats on a great race! I was there as a lap counter volunteer, so it was cool to see the race from that perspective. I agree that Euclid is horrible! I've heard some folks use a small shower puff in place of the yellow mesh donut on the aerobottle.

Congrats again! You did awesome!

2007-03-12 2:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
AZ
What a great race report.  I can almost see you smiling as you write it.  Way to go on the PR. 

2007-03-13 4:22 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Awesome race report, You did great. That was a longer swim than usual for a sprint.
2007-03-20 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Great race and congrats on the PR! Keep up the great effort and enjoy the rest of your season!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Holualoa Tucson Triathlon Rss Feed