General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympics - what a great advert for triathlon! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-26 7:15 AM

User image

Expert
England
Subject: Olympics - what a great advert for triathlon!

I watched the mens and womens races in full, live on the BBC (lucky me, working from home with live coverage!!!) and what great races!

IMHO both events highlighted the endurance, technique and tactical nature of the sport at top level as well as producing some memorable finishes. On the BBC nobody would make any predictions on the result until about 20m from the end. The commentators really talked up every aspect of the sport and I have no doubt it will really boost the sport in the UK and no doubt other countries too. Already they have announced full (but not live) coverage of the British Champs on Sept 5th in Liverpool - I'm even tempted to go and spectate but its a long way for me!

Congratulations to all the competitors for such great performances. I have to highlight the UK performances with Andrew Johns in the lead group for almost all the cycle and Marc Jenkins carrying his bike while running after a mechanical failure. He even made it to a mechanic and got back on to finish last but to the huge cheers of the crowd - how many athletes would continue after a disater like that? Of course the US, Canada and NZ athletes (and all ther rest...) also deserve praise for their performances.

I taped the entire race and will no doubt watch the transition coverage carefully and marvel at the 'foot in bike shoe' moments shown clearly today, as well as drooling over the vast transition areas and racking etc. I only wish our freezing cold, murky and weed covered lakes were as warm and clear as that sea!

Now, where's my training plan........

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympics - what a great advert for triathlon! Rss Feed