General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildman Triathlon Festival - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wildman Triathlon Festival - Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Orlando, Florida
United States
Buttar
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 24s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Wake up, drive to race...didn't eat anything this time...
Event warmup:

none...I was freezing...the winds were blowing about 20 mph...
Swim
  • 14m 44s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

water was nowhere near as cold as I thought it would be...temperature was decent, even comfortable which was nice because the air wasn't...but I had only swam 3x since November...so that was...bad!
What would you do differently?:

Practice swimming more...dont forget earplugs!!
Transition 1
  • 09m 45s
Comments:

Everything about this was horrible...everything...I was so cold I could barely feel my hands, I had to warm up my hands just so that I could get my socks on...I have never felt so completely out of control of my body before...it scared me...

Do a triathlon in warmer weather!
Bike
  • 45m 18s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.46 mile/hr
Comments:

I can barely describe how bad this was...I would not go outside to ride if it was cold out, becaues I can not handle cold...at all! I was absolutely miserable, I couldn't feel my hands or my feet...on top of that, I turned at the wrong place, had to stop completely, unclip, and then restart after doing a u-turn...then, there was a 20 mph wind THE WHOLE WAY, which seemed to ALWAYS be going against me...there were about 2 miles of the entire thing where I felt like there was a tail wind...thats it...it was so so bad...

not do a triathlon in these weather conditions!

Transition 2
  • 00m 4s
Comments:

The time on here is completely WRONG! I'm estimating that it was actually around 4 minutes...but I really dont know...it was horrible!

This was even worse than the bike...I am from S. Florida, and I am NEVER out in cold weather...I dont handle it well at all, it makes me really sick...by the time I got off of my bike, my hands were so cold that I couldn't feel them at all...they were also cramped into "claws"...literally...I couldn't get my shoes on because I couldn't squeeze the spring thing on shoelace fasteners because I couldnt feel my hands...I rubbed my hands on my towel for about a minute, took me about 5-8 tries, and was finally able to squeeze them...them I tried to unfasten my helmet...again, I simply couldn't do it...I couldn't feel my hands at all...my husband had already finished at this point, and I was about to completely break down, as he came into transition, I asked him to unfasten my helmet...once he did that off I went...

not do a triathlon in these weather conditions!
Run
  • 30m 8s
  • 2.75 miles
  • 10m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Did I mention that I couldnt feel my hands or my feet...it was bad, I was slow...I wasn't even really all that tired, no cramps which was a good thing...I just couldnt do it in the weather...the only thing positive that I can say is that I never walked, I never stopped, I kept going the whole thing, and I didn't give up!

Though, I do think it was faster than this, obviously my transition was not as fast as it says, and I dont think this was as slow as it says...WHATEVER!

not do a triathlon in this weather!
Post race
Warm down:

putting on all the clothes that I had with me...I had a total of three hats and three shirts on...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the COLD and the WIND!

Event comments:

I'm a bit depressed about this race, I'm more than 10 minutes slower than the last time I did it, and it would have been even more slow, if the swim wasn't short...I trained all winter, and feel like I went significantly backwards...instead of forward...everyone who I knew that was there had BETTTER times than they did last time, even with the cold and wind, so I dont really even have an excuse...

I am throwing myself a bit of a pity party right now...if you can...I really need an inspire - I haven't had one in weeks :(

PS-I put out a sign for beginner triathletes to meet up, it was there for about an hour near where they had the pancakes and eggs after the race, but I didn't see anyone from here:(

Last updated: 2007-02-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:44 | 820 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
I was going super easy at the beginning because I was at the back of the pack and blocked in all the way out to the first buoy...was ok to the second buoy, then was ok getting back to shore...or so I thought...
Suit: Promotion
Course: triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 09:45
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:18 | 12.43 miles | 16.46 mile/hr
Wind: Strong
Course: Tweo squares, the furthest one was first...
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:04
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:08 | 02.75 miles | 10m 58s  min/mile
Course: two loops in the woods through a campground
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-03-17 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
Subject: Wildman Triathlon Festival - Sprint Triathlon

2007-03-22 1:09 PM
in reply to: #726731

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Wildman Triathlon Festival - Sprint Triathlon

Hey Tonya...sorry you had such a challenging day that day.  It was very windy out there, I raced that day too in St. Pete, so I feel your pain.  Next one will be better.  At least you didn't quit, you didn't give up, and you kept your wits about you.  We all have bad days...you're allowed!! 

Go get 'em!

2007-03-22 9:49 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Some days just aren't the day.  Way to actually finish and NOT give up, it woulda been easy to throw in the towel I think.

Throwing out some advice here, but I would think the sucky swim set you up for the rest of the race to be bad.  I don't know so much as I'd blame the cold (although that would certainly be a factor) but if you haven't been swimming and then try to race - coming out of the water is NOT a good experience.  I've gotten dizzy and almost sick just from not enough time in the water and then racing.  Just a thought.

2007-03-23 6:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
Looking back on it post pity party...it was probably the best thing for me...cause it finally got my butt in gear!

Cadreamer, you are right, for 2 months I was telling myself that I should be swimming, but I just ignored the voices in my head (pesky voices!), BUT, 2 days after getting back from this disaster, I signed up for a master's swimming program, and I went to my first one THAT SAME DAY! After that, I've been swimming 2 more times, so 3x just this week...that's what I should have been doing all along, but it took this to get me to do it...

I also got the gold membership on here, and got a training plan, which I plan to follow through St. Anthony's...then I'm going to try to do an intermediate plan during the summer in preparation for my "A" race - the HOT...SEE YOU THERE Q!

(but I still hate cold and wind, don't mind getting used to the wind, but I will NEVER get used to that cold!)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildman Triathlon Festival - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed