Enviro-Sports
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 05m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:00 and got my stuff together. Ate a Clif Bar and drove over to Lafayette where I was meeting friends to carpool over to the race. Went to Safeway and got some OJ and a bagel, cause I was still hungry. The race didn't start til 9:30 and since it was just before 7, I knew I'd have plenty of time to let the food settle.

Along the way to getting to Lafayette had the usual pre-race routine of having to go potty like EVERY 1/2 hour. I guess it saves me from issues in the event, but man, it's also kind of a pain.
Event warmup:

This event is VERY COOL. It's a trail run on Angel Island, so MY event warm-up consisted of us getting on the ferry over to the island and then standing around and chatting to my friends. This is a LONG distance for me, so I figured I'd be putting out enough effort on the course. Walked around a little bit and tried to keep warm, put on race belt w/ number (YAY me, I finally remembered to bring it to an actual race!) and tried to stay warm. I should not have left my sweatshirt in the car. Listened to pre-race talk. Events put on by EnviroSports are low key and so there wasn't a lot to say as the course was marked with orange ties, and there were no aid stations. Enjoyed the talk though, it was fun and humorous. A great send off to the race. The 25k group (doing two loops) left around 9:45 and the 12k people left 15 minutes later.
Run
  • 2h 05m
  • 7.46 miles
  • 16m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I was cold when we started off but that changed pretty quickly. The first section is going uphill all the way to the top of the island. It is never hellishly steep but a definite uphill grade all the way. As a hiking trail, it's pretty easy. As a running trail, it was HARD. I just tried not to let all of the walking people pass me (especially the guy pushing a stroller.) Avg. HR for this section was 160 - so I put out a very good effort here. REALLY trying to stay ahead of one group of walkers. I don't hike (or run) fast AT ALL so it was hard, but I did it, then I left them behind for good once we got to the top and I could actually run in some fashion. (The first 25k runners were coming down for their first lap as we were hitting the fire road.)

Once you're at the top you run along a fire road for a while, and then back around on some other trails. Fairly flat through this whole section with a few rollers and some steady low-grade stuff going up and down. I'm in a sorta no-mans land as far as speed right now, I'm slower than the runners but faster than the walkers, I was pretty much by myself most of the time. Totally scenic and 99% on dirt which was great. We ran through a couple of meadows w/ wildflowers, through stands of trees, through the forest, around the edge of the island, so you could see the bay - too bad the fog was in - cause the views would have been spectacular. My only complaint is that you couldn't see anything from the island across the bay. Seriously, just RUNNING here was a reward for doing the race. Just pristine and wild.

Once you finish that off - it's back down the hill. This part was really fun for me, the fastest I've run in YEARS. Just trying to let it go and practice running fast. The biggest thing I had to pay attention to here were all the 25k people who were passing me. It was hard to find places to let them by. All singletrack trail and not really steep, although there were a few sections that I walked cause I didn't feel the footing was that good.

Finished with a sprint to the finish with official chip timing. "My name is Chip, and I will be your timer." - Actual quote from pre-race talk. They actually keep the times on paper - that's how low key they are.

Nutrition: I didn't take the gels I had with me, I just drank one bottle of sports drink w/ extra salt added and one water bottle. They were both empty by the end, and it seemed like just the right amount of fluids/calories for the amount of effort and time.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing much - I pushed pretty hard the whole way. My HR monitor was either above 160 or at 160 most of the time (except going back down the hill.)

There was one part that was slightly uphill and I wasn't moving very fast and I kinda got stuck behind these two girls. I was worried that I would pass them, and then I wouldn't be able to stay ahead of them. I shoulda just went for it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around slowly and tried to remember how, as my legs were instantly sore and very stiff. Stretched a bit, and ate some food, and then we got back on the ferry and enjoyed the ride back over to Tiburon. The sun had finally come out for good, and all the sailboats were out - just way cool. Had lunch in Tiburon by the bay and then headed back home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well - duh. Some of it is genetic (I'm just not fast) but another part is that I just weigh too much and it slows me down. A LOT. Going uphill limits my ability to perform faster.

Event comments:

This is a LOW KEY event. If you want to run in a location with totally awesome scenery and be self-sufficient this is for you. You HAVE to carry your own aid, there are NO drink stations on the course. If you want lots of support and lots of other racers this is not the race you should choose.

Update: Ok, I uploaded a photo - and I will just say that I do NOT like pics of myself, especially racing, cause I look so DAMN fat. But I think I will like it more later on...

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-02-13 12:00 AM
Running
02:05:00 | 07.46 miles | 16m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: UP to the top of Angel Island on a hiking trail, then a mix of fire road and trail around the island. Then back down the way you came up. AWESOME run. Course was WELL marked and easy to follow.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-03-17 6:57 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: Romancing the Island 12k

2007-03-18 3:38 PM
in reply to: #726783

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Romancing the Island 12k

Great race!  Sounds like a really nice venue, too...though a challenging course!  First race of the season is always so exciting...

2007-03-18 5:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Great job!!   Looks like a fun race.  Gotta like the 'chip'  timing  
2007-03-23 9:24 PM

User image

Regular
Central Illinois
This sounds like a lot of fun and a great run.  The hills would kill me.
2007-03-24 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis, IN
Way to go Cad!!!!! Sounds like you had a great race and some beautiful scenery to free your mind.

Keep it going!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Romancing the Island 12k Rss Feed