Set-up Inc
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 37s
Overall Rank = 5/114
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6am and ate two bagels with cream cheese and drank two cups of coffee at the motel's Continental Breakfast. Drove to the base and set up transition area. I didn't bring any sweats or pants of any type. I was freezing! It was really cool to watch all the Marines doing their drills and formations. These guys are great!
Event warmup:

Stayed in the pool area for the hour before my race start. Swam off and on in the warm-up area to keep limber and warm.
Swim
  • 08m 25s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was very warm. I felt good and calm, but had trouble passing at the 250 mark. I think folks were getting tired and I was just getting warmed up. I know it is still early in the season and I haven't done my anaerobic swim drills yet. I'm not complaining about my performance, I just know there is an opportunity for improvement here.
What would you do differently?:

Enter a faster swim time to minimize congestion. Do more anaerobic drills.
Transition 1
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

I had a really good T1. I decided not to pull on a long-sleeve jersey and just go for it. Everything went smooth.

Nothing
Bike
  • 33m 46s
  • 12 miles
  • 21.32 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was supposed to be 13 miles, but most of my friends with computers said it was 12, so I changed that in the race report. I had an awesome bike! I stayed down in my aerobars, kept my cadence high and boogied! My Cervelo is a wonderful bike. I love it!

Practice turns in the aerobars, not fill my aerobottle quite as full so I won't get splashed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

My hands were so numb with cold that I couldn't unsnap my helmut or snap my number belt. I also had difficulty pulling on my running shoes. I ran with the right shoe tongue stuffed into my shoe. Luckily my feet were so numb from cold that I didn't even notice it.

Race on a warmer day?!
Run
  • 22m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I am ecstatic! This is by far the fastest 5K I have ever done! And I didn't feel like I was going that fast. When I crossed the line, I was already thinking that I didn't run fast enough because I wasn't breathless and gaspy. So I was incredibly shocked when I saw my time split.

Run faster!
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and cheered for my hubby and my friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I can't believe I performed this well at such an eary season race.

Event comments:

Very fun race. My friend Justine placed second in our age group. We go to the same tri clinic. Greg (our clinic coach) will be so proud!! I had a blast with my friends and met Rus (De Cracker) for lunch afterwards. It was a great way to unwind after the race. Scott, Reuben and I really enjoyed talking with Rus and look forward to doing more events in the Beaufort area.

Last updated: 2007-01-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:25 | 547 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/14
Overall: 10/114
Performance: Average
Suit: Sugoi trisuit
Course: Two-way traffic serpentine in a 25 meter portion of the Marine Corps. training pool. Started out good, but got congested half-way through. Very difficult to pass with the two-way traffic.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 88F / 31C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:46 | 12 miles | 21.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 3/114
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: A 12 mile loop around the military base. The wind was strong. When I first came out of transition, I went into my aerobars just as a strong gust blew. Next thing I know, I'm riding in the grass beside the road. I brought Sir Velo back on the asphalt and we were off! I picked gears that I could push with a high cadence and switched frequently to ease any fatigue. This course was flat as a pancake. It was fabulous. And being on an aero machine like the P2C, the wind didn't really mess with me. This is a PB for me on the bike. I average over 21 mph! Woot!!!!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:22:14 | 03.11 miles | 07m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 18/114
Course: Flat out and back loop on base.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-18 12:06 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: Parris Island Triathlon

2007-03-18 12:18 PM
in reply to: #727143

Veteran
Charleston, SC
Subject: RE: Parris Island Triathlon
awesome race, congratulations on the run!! I had the same problem coming into T2 with the numbness...I thought it was suppose to be warm on the coast this time of year.

Edited by pfusc 2007-03-18 12:18 PM
2007-03-18 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Awesome race...we were doing a preview ride of our next tri (Cane Creek) yesterday so I can sympathinze about the wind. That would be a great race for me at any time during the season, let alone to start! Way to go!
2007-03-18 3:54 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Fantastic race and to read it, still some areas to improve.  Keep it going!!!!
2007-03-19 8:20 AM

User image

Regular
Greenville, SC
Congratulations on a great race! I wish my report was this positive! I hope I didn't hold you up in the pool (I'm 84). I knew you and Joe Hammond would pass so I tried to stay against the lane line when I saw you coming. I hope I didn't slow you down too much. Justine was a swim coach with me years ago and I was so excited to see her! Good luck on a great season!
2007-03-19 8:47 AM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.

Pam, you and Scot are awesome athletes. It was great meeting you both. Keep it up and soon we will all be seeking your autograph. I'll be able to say "Hey I knew her before she turned pro".

Congrats again and Keep Tri-ing!!

2007-03-19 3:46 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Wow you are fast. I wanna be like you when I grow up

Seriously, do you think if I stand next to you at the Clemson Tri some of that fastness will rub off on me?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Parris Island Triathlon Rss Feed