Houston, Texas
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 48m 31s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 15-19
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:35 and again at 5:45. Got ready and ate 2 Nature Valley bars with milk. Went to pick up Nick and head downtown. Her alarm hadn't gone off, so she woke up to me knocking on the door. We got away from her house at about 6:30. I downed a gel with water at 6:50 and 7:20. We arrived at the race site at 7:25. 10 minutes before the start and I still had to register! Difficult morning and things weren't looking up. They'd run out of shirts (not that I really race for the shirt), so they said they'd mail them out after they ordered more.
Event warmup:

Got my number pinned on and headed out to the start to try to squeeze in... with out any luck. So I'm standing in the grass loosening up, and I look to my right to see if there's any space for me to get on the concrete and not three feet from me is a girl from my running class doing her first 5k, so we talked for a few seconds and I wished her luck, then the starters gun went off.
Run
  • 48m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

The course was 2 5k loops (really a 1.5 mile out and back) through a neighborhood near the medical center. This was the first race I wore my Garmin in. The first mile was good. Just trying to sort out who needed to be where and all that jazz. Really, despite the fact that I was on the grass, I picked a good place in line for people running a similar pace as I was. The sun started to finally break through the morning clouds and 15 minutes into the race was shining brightly. They had water at the turnaround point but I was feeling good and didn't take any. The run back to the start was uneventful, apart from a poor kid who didn't know any better doing the 10k and who'd headed out way way too fast suffering at mile 2. Coming back to start the second loop, I made eye contact with one of the volunteers handing out gatorade and then he looked away and started talking with another volunteer, so the handoff of the cup (me ripping it from his hand) was anything but smooth (I ended up with gatorade all over my hand and in my eye of all places). This race was another first for me: I drank while running, which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be for me; no cramps or anything. I thanked every police officer I ran past on the second loop, not so much for them as for the boost it gave me. I wasn't tired, just bored. Took water at the last turnaround and ran with an older guy who'd been behind me the whole race and passed just after the last aid station. I kicked it up a notch to pace myself off of him until the last half mile when he started to run out of gas. His breathing got really ragged and he started struggling. I passed him but slowed down so he could stay on my shoulder. I could've sprinted the last part of the race, but would've felt bad for leaving him behind. We crossed the finish line at pretty much the same time.
What would you do differently?:

It was a better than expected time, and I had a lot left over at the end of it all, so I would've gone a little faster throughout the race. Other than that...maybe get to the race a little earlier or make sure I was pre-registered (though I didn't register early because of my 20 miler last week, I wanted to make sure I didn't hurt myself on that run and have to cancel on another race like I did the Beach Run)
Post race
Warm down:

They didn't have chip timing, so I had to go through the little age group sectioning thingy made of PVC pipe, and the girl manning it had a hard time spelling my name (me: its R-a-f-e, her: R-e-f-y?). Nick brought me a diet coke and a silly baloon hat, which I dutifully wore long enough for her to take a picture of it. Had a kolache (bad idea) and later a banana. Waited around for the awards. I got first in my age group and they gave me a little picture frame with a clover on it and it was anounced that the photographer would send all age group winners a picture to put in the frame for free.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My own lack of knowledge of how fast I could go for that distance.

Event comments:

Kind of a dull course, and no chip timing, but other than that, it was great.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-01-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:48:31 | 06.21 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 7:49 Mile 2: 7:45 Mile 3: 7:48 Mile 4: 7:42 Mile 5: 7:58 Mile 6: 7:32 Mile 6.2: 1:55
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-18 2:52 PM

Regular
Spring, TEXAS
Subject: Lookin' Good 10k

2007-03-18 4:57 PM
in reply to: #727257

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Lookin' Good 10k
Congratulations on the hardware!!!    Nice baloon hat too.   
2007-03-20 1:57 PM
in reply to: #727257

User image

Regular
Katy, TX (west of Houston)
Subject: RE: Lookin' Good 10k
Outstanding job on your race!  I wish I could maintain that pace.  Cool pics too
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lookin' Good 10k Rss Feed