Opelousas, Louisiana
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 54m 27s
Overall Rank = 102/105
Age Group = 45
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Up early, ate, fed dogs, did dishes, and cleaned up. I tried to get Dylan up, he's not a morning person and took awhile. The twins got out of bed, ate, crawled in the car and went back to sleep.
Event warmup:

I was sitting with the twins when someone from the tri club suggested I warm up. The 'NERVE' of him! :):):) So, Dylan, the twins, and I went walk around the parking lot. Then I got on my bike and rode a while.
Run
  • 25m 55s
  • 2 miles
  • 12m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Dylan stood with me at the start. {I encouraged him to go in the middle. He said he was trying to pace himself. He did great!!!} I threw BEAR my long sleeved shirt and took off. I was with a few people and then there were two. Keith and I did most of the walk together. He said he was fast on the bike. I lost him during the second mile. The twins were handing out water and gatorade at the transition stop and telling me I was almost last and I'd better hurry up! BOYS!!!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Did not time my transition, but it was better than my last DU. It helps that my hands weren't frozen. Dylan was there to encourage and cheered me on.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 03m
  • 16.23 miles
  • 15.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Left transition with a smile! Yelled encouragement to all the riders as they passed. There were 3 girls ahead of me. I passed the first one before mile 3. Keith passed me after mile 4 and I later passed him. The two girls ahead of me rode together and drafted throughout the race. (One was an official's girlfriend-I don't think they check on the BOP group.) Anyway, I followed them until mile 13 then I passed them up a hill and hurried to the end!

RIDE LOTS!!! :):):)
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

The twins were still egging me on. They couldn't understand why more bikers didn't take a drink. Time and coordination are a must at this time. :):):) The transition area was full. I asked some if they were through. DUH!!! I did remember to take off my helmet this time. My shoes were put on quickly. I didn't bring a water, but it was cool, so I decided to wait for the water stop.

Nothing.
Run
  • 25m 24s
  • 2 miles
  • 12m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I was still moving...Keith caught up with me then dropped back. The two 'biker' girls passed me up after mile one. They ran in 30 seconds before me. I offered to take the photographers pictures. There were two and they took plenty pictures. Turned the corner at the end of the race and ran in. The boys were there to cheer me in.

MOVE FASTER!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the bathroom. Went to meet Tri-a-betic (James) and Cassie. They are new to BT and live in the New Orleans area. A very nice couple. Ate a little bit of jambalaya and salad, went to take pics with the Cajun Tri Club, picked up my stuff, and watched the award ceremony. BEAR and Dylan got "FIRST PLACE" for their relay. I am so proud of them. Many of our friends including Tri-a-betic got awards. Congratulations to all! :):):)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I guess I should train more.......

Event comments:

Great race, great friends, and I am so proud of the BEAR GANG! Dakota and Dante' worked hard and Dylan and BEAR did GREAT! It was good to meet another BTer and his girlfriend, Cassie.

I also met ERN. He and his family were there. He, his father, and brother also got awards.

A Cajun Tri Club member was taking pictures. Dylan is in many of them with his short sleeved blue shirt. BEAR is in some and I am the "JUMBO SHIMP" #50 in some. These can be seen at www.tri-cajuns.org.

I was almost 3 minutes faster than last year. I did better on the walk, but the route was a little shorter this year. We turned a block earlier this year.

We missed you today, Matt, Chris, Brandi, and John.

Last updated: 2007-03-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:55 | 02 miles | 12m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 4/105
Performance: Good
Course: Flat through neighborhoods. Well shaded and great weather.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:03:00 | 16.23 miles | 15.46 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Much better than last year. We followed I 49 for a few miles, then turned off on country roads. Hilly and windy but FUN!!!
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:24 | 02 miles | 12m 42s  min/mile
Course: Same as the first route.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-18 8:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana
Subject: Opelousas Duathlon

2007-03-18 9:27 PM
in reply to: #727624

Veteran
Subject: RE: Opelousas Duathlon
Good job Mama Bear! Your husband and son were pretty fast in the relay. Cassie mentioned she would like to participate next year. We need to get her a bike first. Thanks for showing us a good time.
2007-03-19 1:12 PM

Expert
New Orleans, LA
We missed being there! But it sounds like you guys had loads of fun. That's so cool they won!
2007-03-20 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Angel, you did so great!!!  3 minutes faster!  YEAH!!  Can't wait to see you in 10 days!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Opelousas Duathlon Rss Feed