Sunny
Total Time = 30m 36s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Light breakfast consisting of oatmeal.
Event warmup:

A few laps back and forth between Jefferson and Runnymeade.
Bike
  • 30m 36s
  • 9.7 miles
  • 19.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Entered the Eddie Merckx (non) aero category.
What would you do differently?:

This was my first TT on a relatively flat course. Last year, I rode hill climbs exclusively, so this was new to me. I definately need to work on my time trialing more.
Post race
Warm down:

Nice easy spin southbound on Canada Rd. Ate a small snack, then finished the remainder of yesterday's training ride.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've been sick since last Friday, and was running 101.2 degree temp on Monday night. I'm on the mend, though. Definately not 100% for this race. Also, I'm still in my base training mode, so I haven't done any training at this intensity. This race will be held again in May, so I'm going to take another shot at it to guage my improvement.

Last updated: 2007-03-09 12:00 AM
Biking
00:30:36 | 9.7 miles | 19.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HR DATA: Mile 1: 166; Mile 2 169; Mile 3 168; Mile 4 168; Mile 5 168; Mile 6 169; Mile 7 173; Mile 8 171; Mile 9 168; Beyond: 169
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back on Canada Rd. Flat by bay area standards. I felt very strong for the first 4 miles. However, there was a strong headwind coming off the reservoir in the northbound direction, and most pronounced on the short uphill portion nearest the turnaround point where Canada Rd comes closest to the water. The wind was far from being gusty though, but it certainly put a damper on some of my northbound performance. With that said, I'm pleased that I hammered out the incline at the 3 mile point (north of Pulgas Temple), maintaining my cadence and speed. By the time I passed Filoli Center heading southbound my legs were experiencing a cold/burning sensation, though I worked through it and held my concentration on maintaining my cadence. The up portion of the southbound leg was were I lost the most time.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-03-18 9:08 PM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Subject: Beat The Clock Time Trial Series

2007-03-18 9:33 PM
in reply to: #727647

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Beat The Clock Time Trial Series

Sounds like you learned a lot and being sick did good.

TT is hard to figure out how to pace yourself?

So what type of bike racing are you doing this year TT and hill climbs? I want to give it a go this year and am excited/nervous to try.

Nice work!

2007-03-18 10:01 PM
in reply to: #727674

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Subject: RE: Beat The Clock Time Trial Series
KathyG - 2007-03-18 7:33 PM

Sounds like you learned a lot and being sick did good.

TT is hard to figure out how to pace yourself?

So what type of bike racing are you doing this year TT and hill climbs? I want to give it a go this year and am excited/nervous to try.

Nice work!

Thanks!  It's interesting learning about pacing yourself in races like this.  This TT was definately a different animal from the local hill climbs.  I love both types of races, though.  It's nerve wracking to get out there with folks who show up with the fancy gear....guess I don't take it serious enough to own a skin suit or aero helmet.  Heh! ;-)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beat The Clock Time Trial Series Rss Feed