Big Island International Marathon Association
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 152/249
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/16
Pre-race routine:

shake up at 0300, start was at 0600. Ate a cantelope and whole wheat bagel.
Event warmup:

Bus to start was late, only had 15 minutes at start and spent 10 minutes in line to portapottie
Run
  • 5h 04m 49s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I thoroughly enjoyed finishing my first marathon, even if it was 1 hour more than projected. Conditions were great, not a lot of support, but enough.
What would you do differently?:

I did no, let me repeat no hill work for this marathon. I figured it was my first and I just started running, so I just wanted to get speed back to my legs(I still know I can get faster than a 7:20 5K pace that I'm at now). I only drove the course the day before the event and thought I'd just absorb the hills. I was wrong. I physically bonked at mile 11. I started to cramp in both quads everytime I tried to run over a quarter mile. That said, at mile 12 I thought I wouldn't finish the race. I had no muscle buffers to counteract lactic acid and I thought I would go into heat exhaustions w/ intractable cramping. I kept going though and had a chance to break 5 hours if I didn't cramp up a bunch in the last 2 miles. Just wait until next time
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

No hill work and no compensating for it during the run. I should have just slowed my pace in the beginning to 10:00, and walked the hills.

Event comments:

I've been told by a lot of people who came here to run this race for the first time that this is the hardest race they ever did. Most of them got over 10 marathons under their belts.
The Kilauea Volcano Marathon is supposed to be harder...good thing I did this on first, and I'll also have the Kailua Kona Marathon under my belt by then too.

Last updated: 2006-10-18 12:00 AM
Running
05:04:49 | 26.2 miles | 11m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/16
Overall: 152/249
Performance: Bad
average heart rate 161 Did the first 10 miles at a 9:10 pace
Course: Very hilly, drops from 500 feet to sea level, but with 4 climbs in the first 10 miles that average 200 feet in less than a quarter mile.
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %2%
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No