General Discussion Race Reports! » Jackrabbit Sports Indoor Triathlon Championships Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jackrabbit Sports Indoor Triathlon Championships - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log
New York, New York
United States
Jackrabbit Sports
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 10/30
Age Group = Men-all ages
Age Group Rank = 5/14
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race routine? Well, since the race didn't start 'till 3pm, pretty much the entire day became the pre-race routine. Tried to stay hydrated all day, and drank a banana pb smoothie around 12:30.
Event warmup:

No warmup, really. Walked to the site, met Emily (Nekton), who was nice enough to stop by even though she wasn't able to race. Got the tour, got bodymarked (race start time--3:00 on my hand) and then went to the pool deck, since my heat was the first one.
Swim
  • 10m
  • 575 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

wish I knew how to flip turn. The girl in my lane was swimming at exactly the same speed as me, but every time we got to the wall, she'd jump ahead by 20 feet or so. Annoying. Just like last time, started a little too fast, then settled down, and found a good pace that left me with enough left at the end to push out an extra 1/2 lap just before the whistle.
Good swim for me.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to do a flip turn, but otherwise, I think this is about as fast as I'm capable of going.
The guy with the top score swam at a 1:10/100 pace. Holy sh1t!
Transition 1
  • 15m
Comments:

How could you f-up a transition where you had 15 minutes between events? Good question. Yet somehow, I forgot to bring a towel, and forgot to put my HRM on.
I think I rushed out of the pool and rushed upstairs to the bikes, and then, seeing that I had more time than I thought, I took way too much time getting the bike set up.

Be more organized.
Bike
  • 30m
  • 20.02 miles
  • 40.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on the bike, clipped in, cranked up my ipod, and spun the cranks like a gerbil on crystal meth.

Obviously, the distance isn't real--it's what the cateye that was mounted on the spinbike said. I was pushing hard to get to 20miles, b/c that meant a 40mph average, which was a very fast cadence. Seemed to be one of the fastest in the room. Having bike shoes this time seemed to help.
What also helped was that I preprogrammed my ipod with a mix of really uptempo stuff (Oakenfold, Dirty Vegas, Fatboy Slim) for the bike. Definitely kept me cranking. Other selections included Kid Rock, Third Eye Blind, Black Eyed Peas.

Nothing. I don't think I could have gone much faster. Bike was, as I suspected, my best event. I even beat the guy who won the whole thing.
Transition 2
  • 05m
Comments:

Had a drink, changed my shirt, put on my HRM, ran downstairs, got assigned to a treadmill, got on.

Hmm... cold liquids taste better than warm liquids. Something to keep in mind in the future.
Run
  • 20m
  • 2.41 miles
  • 08m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to beat my last race distance (2.35) while running at 3.0 (as opposed to 2.0 in the last race), so I'm pretty happy with how I did. I had to slow down to a jog a couple of times, and it was really hot in the room. My accellerade was lukewarm at this point. The heat really started to affect me. Again, the ipod mix was a huge morale-booster (I seem to run better when I'm a little agro, so rap seems to help. Tupac, Ice Cube, NWA, Public Enemy, and of course, (this one's for you, Courtney) Mama Said Knock You Out).

I wish I could have kept up the pace I set, but realistically, I don't think I could have gone much faster than I did. And I beat my goal distance with a 50% higher incline than last time, so no complaints at all.
Post race
Warm down:

Thanked the RD and the vols, then had to bust outta there, hustle 11 blocks south, pick up my MTB, and shlep it home on the subway. Stopped for a second to have some frozen yogurt on the way.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm pretty happy with how I did. I wonder how I would have done if the race had been first thing in the morning, instead of after nearly a full day of chasing a 2-yr old around.

Event comments:

I'm pretty happy with the end results. I don't think I could have done much better than I did in any of the events. Top 5 is a nice place to be!

I think the race was fine for what it was. Not to be a swag whore, but I think, for $50, which isn't a lot less than you pay for some real races, a t-shirt and a water bottle is a little cheap. A couple of other racers said that, given that it was "The Championships" that they could have made a bigger deal out of it. There really was nothing to distinguish it from any of the other races that led up to it, other than that it says "Championship" on my shirt.
But overall, it was a fun event. I'm not 100% sure I'd do it again, but I'd consider it.

Last updated: 2007-01-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:00 | 575 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/14
Overall: 10/30
Performance: Good
I swam 23 laps, or 575 yards in 10 minutes. Which is pretty fast for me, so I'm pleased.
Suit:
Course: 25-yard pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 15:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:00 | 20.02 miles | 40.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/14
Overall: 4/30
None. Dummy.
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:00 | 02.41 miles | 08m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 15/30
HR got way up there--up to 185 at one point, and had to back it down a little.
Course: Treadmill run at 3.0 incline.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-18 9:49 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Jackrabbit Sports Indoor Triathlon Championships

2007-03-19 9:15 AM
in reply to: #727700

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Jackrabbit Sports Indoor Triathlon Championships
DUDE! I'm so happy I was not there......you would've made me look like like a gerbil on crystal meth..........GOING THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION.

You totally rocked man! Well deserved rest today. I'm curious what you did for the swim. I'll be looking out for those results tomorrow. NICE WORK!

2007-03-19 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
I'm trying to imagine you as a gerbil on crystal meth, but I gotta say I've never seen a gerbil on crystal meth...we live out here in the country..all we do is go cow-tippin'.  Awesome performance, especially on that bike!
2007-03-19 11:45 AM
in reply to: #728310

Master
Brooklyn, NY
1st Timer in NY - 2007-03-19 11:50 AM
I've never seen a gerbil on crystal meth
Makes two of us. I guess we should've been there to find out. HILARIOUS! Any pictures?

2007-03-19 12:29 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
They look kinda like a hamster on crystal meth, only brown and with a tail. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jackrabbit Sports Indoor Triathlon Championships Rss Feed