Stadium Tri club
35 +C / 95F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 30m 50s
Overall Rank = 151/160
Age Group = 25 - 29
Age Group Rank = 11/12
Pre-race routine:

Made the long journey down to Karri Valley the night before. had a bit of a late night by the time we got there and ate dinner. Had an average sleep as I was sharing a room with 3 snoring boys. I swear they rotated through snorers just to keep me awake. one would stop and then another one would start.

Had a lovely sleep in till about 8 it was wonderful, had a nice lazy swim in the lake before breakfast. I absolutely love Karri Valley its a beautiful place to have a race.

Once again I remembered that I don't think I like afternoon races. I dont think my body does either.

got our gear together left the water bottles in the fridge cooling. headed down to the race start and racked hte bikes registered etc. went back to our chalet to stretch suncream and get the drinks. (its fabulous staying at the race venue!)
Event warmup:

Milled around chatting to people waiting to hear the verdict on wetsuit or non wetsuit swim. did a bit of stretching, it was a wetsuit swim and decided to wear a wetsuit. we all walked down to the swim start and I did a few strokes just to warm up a little.
I really wasn't amped up for this race, was feeling tired and lazy. (need to do morning races I think)
Swim
  • 15m
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

I put myself second from the front to start with. next time I'm going at the front and fighting for some space that way. I really got boxed in very quickly and swimming in the lake seems to be more constricting on my breathing then in the ocean. I got boxed in and then got a great big kick in the face smacking my goggles right into my eye socket. it hurt so badly.

but I just kept swimming trying to get the water out of my goggles as I was going. It really did hurt for the entire swim, the pressure of the goggles was hurting the newly formed bruise I htink.

I rounded the first buoy and found some free space. Had a good swim after that. I don't like swimming in a wetsuit my neck feels a bit constricted. I warmed up fully by the second lap and was passing people in the wave above.
What would you do differently?:

not get kicked in the face. put myself at the front of thew ave start. and just swim like crazy for the first 200m's to get some clear water.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

there is a really long run from the swim finish to the transition area. I think someone said it was around 700m's so ran out of the swim and stopped on the road bit to take my wettie off there instead of in transition. got it off in record time! (glad I wore it now good practice for the half) ran carrying the wettie to transition.
shoes and helmet on really quickly and flew out of transition

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 17m 11s
  • 30 kms
  • 23.32 km/hr
Comments:

I knew the minute I got out on the road on my bike that I was going to have a long bike ride, my legs just didn't have anything in them. I felt like I had concrete blocks for legs. not really sure what was wrong I just had a really off day. and this course is tough so nothing in the legs combined with hill after hill after hill made for a slow race.

I somehow rode the ride without any back brakes as well. flying down hills with no back brake.

It was long hot and hilly and I really just couldn't get any speed up. thank god I wasn't the poor guy that came off his bike and broke his collar bone though.
I was very glad when I was coming down the last hill and ready to turn into transition and out on the run.

check my back brakes. ride faster! try and figure out why ther was nothing in my legs.

I think I should have had more gels or eaten more. not really sure waht nutrition I need for that distance tri.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

All I remember about T2 was running in racking my bike and hearing the commentator announcing the winner of the race and the ssecond place guy was sprinting down the hill to finish. it was very demoralising.
I did put my shoes on as I was taking off my helmet, think i had a fast transition

concentrate on me not on the winners
Run
  • 55m 50s
  • 8 kms
  • 06m 59s  min/km
Comments:

headed out on the run just as my friend came running down the chute in third place. again very demoralising. I had a stitch from the word go on the run. I just couldn't run any faster then I was going as the stitch prevented that. it hurt. but I just settled down and ran whatever speed the stitch let me. (which was slow as)
As much as I sucked and was going slow as, its an absolutely beautiful course so I just enjoyed running through the bush tracks and out through the resort. It did suck a fair bit when on my second lap of the run I could see all these people in the lake cooling down, all cheering for me when I went past but they were finished in the cool lake and I was still running like a very slow turtle.

the water stations on this race were brilliant I don't know how they kept the water so cool but they had plenty of ice cold water, one cup for drinking and one cup over the head as it was sooo hot.

the stitch eased by the second lap and I actually negatively split the last lap. yes it was still slow but faster then the first lap.

it was such a relief to see the finish line and sprint down the hill to the finish ilne and to some cold water

more run training. Run faster I suck at running
Post race
Warm down:

chatted for a little bit collected all the gear and then ehaded down to the lake to cool off, stood in the lake up to my waist for ages talking hopefully that helped the legs.
Its a brilliant race and its made even better that its my clubs race so there are so many familiar faces to talk to and play with :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure why I had such an average day but that really limited my ability to go faster, I just had nothing in the legs.

Event comments:

I absolutely love this race venue and being my clubs race its even more fun! I love the party after the race, as i said its great being on the same venue as the accom so we can all walk back afterwards.
I just didn't have the ability to go fast today. but the scenery and course at Karri Valley well and truly made up for the nearly last placing. at least I got my money's worth :)

Last updated: 2007-03-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:00 | 1000 meters | 01m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 59/160
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: two laps of a triangle course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0C / 0F Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:17:11 | 30 kms | 23.32 km/hr
Overall: 155/160
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 laps of a hilly out and back course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 70
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:50 | 08 kms | 06m 59s  min/km
Overall: 154/160
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 laps of a bush course, through the resort
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-03-19 12:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: Karri Valley Tri

2007-03-19 6:21 AM
in reply to: #727789

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-03-19 6:12 PM

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: RE: Karri Valley Tri

Reads like a tough race Mel.

I'm not a big fan of hills either, whether it be cycling up them, running up them, or swimming (sometimes I'm sure I'm so slow that it feels like I must be swimming up hill)

but hey, it sounds like a really cool social event and if they were handing out silverware for parting ability I'm sure you would have been given the gold medal!!!!

2007-03-19 6:38 PM

Perth

Sounds like a tough day at the office...a couple of friends said it was a tough race this year (heat)...

Still sounds like it was a good weekend though (other than the drive home) I think its the drive that put me off that race, sounds like a good event though, maybe next year...

Good luck at the corp tri on the weekend i'll look out for your bike amongs the ~1000! others there...

2007-03-19 7:00 PM

Champion
Sydney

Well at least the location was good!

Sounds like you had a tough day - maybe you can convinve them to have a morning race next year

2007-03-20 8:18 AM

Master
Perth, Australia
Sounds like a tough race, especially with the heat. Its such a nice area down there though I hope you enjoyed the scenery & lake!

2007-03-20 8:34 PM

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Mel,

I agree with Chris about the swim.  That's a fast time even without getting kicked in the face.  I think it's great that you stuck it out and finished.   A lot of people would have just quit after the bike and jumped in the lake.  Good thing we do this for fun and it sounded like you had a great weekend with your friends (that's American for mates).  Congrats on the race and partying.

Ernie 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Karri Valley Tri Rss Feed