The Sporting Life
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 49m 19s
Overall Rank = 808/947
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 42/57
Pre-race routine:

This race didn't start until 1:20 pm, so the whole pre-race routine was different than normal. Did a few loads of laundry and painted the hallway. :) I left home at about 11:15 or so, knowing it would take me a good 45 minutes to get there, and wanting to have plenty of time to get my number and such. I was also hoping to watch the kids race.
Event warmup:

Well, in my infinite wisdom, I parked waaaaay too far away from the race start. I didn't have my trusty navigator Autumn with me, so I guessed as to how far away I was and just parked the car. Well, I got a nice warm-up in by jogging the 1.2 MILES between my car and the fieldhouse.

When I finally got there and go my packet, I met Quiana (BigGirlTri-ing) and we chatted a bit. Then I found Emily (BikerGrrrl) and her husband watching the kids race. We walked down to the start and also met Bryan (mndiver) and his wife just before the race started.
Run
  • 49m 19s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I was very happy with this run. I've only done one 8k race before and I had a time of 52 minutes or something like that, so this was an 8k PR (based on my sampling of 2 :) ).

I started with Emily (BikerGrrrl) and the goal was to stay with her for as long as I could. She was definitely pulling me along faster than I would have gone alone, so that was great. We were well under 10:00 miles for the first two. Right before the turn around, though, my IT band reared it's ugly head and I had to slow down. I tried to keep Emily in sight, but by the 3 mile marker she was gone. :)

I slowed a bit to give the knee a chance to recover, but that wasn't really doing a lot, so my choices were the limp run, or walking. So, limp running it was...for about 2.5 miles. Ugh.

Mile 4 was tough. It was a long slow incline and I was getting pretty tired and very hot at that point. I had left my outer layer jacket behind at the start (Thanks for holding it, Bob!) but should also have left one of my two shirts since I was just roasting by mile 4, but oh well. Not much to do but push on. This was my slowest mile, at 10:18.

The last mile (or .95, or whatever it is) was a long slow downhill--THANK GOD. It was nice to be able to feel better for the last mile. I tried to kick it in for the last half mile or so and was able to finally pass this lady who had been about 15 yards ahead of me for most of the race.
What would you do differently?:

Not aggravate the IT band. Leave another shirt layer behind. Not park so damn far away from the race start. Otherwise, not much. It was a good race for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around at the finish and watch Emily's pal Nikki finish. I figured my loooong walk back to my car would serve as a good cool down. As an added bonus, it was back out along the race course, so I was able to cheer for Quiana as she came in for the last mile!

I'm not sure how great of a warm down the walk ended up being because I was freezing by the time I finally got to the car. I think it did help keep my legs from totally cramping up though, and hopefully helped the IT calm down a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IT band, as always. General slowness, as always.

Event comments:

Nice race, nice shirts, nice course! I was very glad that I was able to average sub 10 minute miles even though I didn't have a pacer for the second half of the race. Thanks to Emily for dragging me along for the first half! :) My goal is to someday finish mid-pack for a running race, so 42/57 doesn't quite do it, but just the fact that 15 people in my age group finished after I did is pretty unheard of for me.

Very nice to meet Bryan and Kelly, and Quiana and her husband, and good to see Emily and Bob again. I didn't cross paths with Bridget (freckle face), though, which was a bummer. I'm sure she was long done and on her way home by the time I finished. :)

Last updated: 2006-12-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:19 | 04.97 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/57
Overall: 808/947
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 9:48, Mile 2: 9:39, Mile 3: 9:44, Mile 4: 10:18, Mile 5 (0.97 mi): 9:14
Course: Out and back on Summit Ave. Flat for the most part, with a few small hills.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-19 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: The Human Race

2007-03-19 8:26 AM
in reply to: #727931

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodbury,
Subject: RE: The Human Race
A PR is a PR! Glad to see the weather held, though a bit cool. Looks alike a good event, and good timing for getting ready for tri's to start. Nice job!
2007-03-19 8:35 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I really didn't drag you along at all! I enjoyed having the company for a bit and if I had known how close behind me you were, I would have rather just ran with you the whole way You did great!
2007-03-19 9:17 AM

User image

Elite
Great run.  It was a lot of fun yesterday.  Look forward to being able to talk a little more at some tri's. 
2007-03-19 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO

nice race! a PR is a PR! Incidentally, it was a PR for me too b/c I've never run an 8K before, haha.

Bummer that we didn't get to meet up. I was keeping my eyes peeled for everyone, too! I tried to stay out and watch for people coming in to finish but I was sweaty from the run and got cold really quickly with that wind whipping around. Brrr. Anyway, nice work and congrats on a good run!

2007-03-19 5:53 PM

User image

Expert
Congrats on the PR, Kelly! Well done! Excellent job finishing with an under 10 minute pace even though you had to dial it back a little with your ITB pain. Maybe I'll have to try painting and laundry for a pre-race routine someday

2007-03-19 6:15 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Great job out there yesterday

The 8k is a tough race to run. A little less intense than a 5k but feels a lot longer. Of course, folks usually chip away at their PR by a couple of seconds at this distance. To take 3+ minutes off of your PR is outstanding. (And I suspect that your current PR will only last until your next race)

Sounds like you had a great time meeting up with other peeps from BT which is always a plus.

Good On Ya
2007-03-19 9:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Way to go!  Someday you'll have a race with your ITB happy the whole way, I know it!
2007-03-19 9:47 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Awesome PR, Kelly! Way to fight through the pain. Speaking of which, have you ever seen a PT about your ITBS? A friend of mine who's a PT has really helped me keep mine at bay. It involves a lot of foam roller time but its totally worth it.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Human Race Rss Feed