General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildman Triathlon Festival - Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wildman Triathlon Festival - Olympic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Orlando, Florida
United States
buutar.com
47F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

It was 47 degrees! In mid-March in Florida! What is going on here :-) Normal, register, try to stay warm, getting setup, try to stay warm.
Event warmup:

try to stay warm :-) Actually got in the water because the 69 degree water was warmer than standing on the beach. Did a few out and backs to get loose. I know some of you from up north are laughing, but for use, 80 degree water is about the lower limit!
Swim
  • 34m 26s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was terrible. Could never keep my breath. Even breast stroked some, couldn't breathe. Tried some back stroke, couldn't breathe! Sinuses were stuffed, but didn't seem like that was the problem. I could breathe out fine and was breathing in through mouth. Halfway through first lap I see some people getting in a boat! Was very tempted to join them. I was not having fun! I had many thoughts to walk out of the water after the first loop. Made myself swim around the lap bouy and keep going calling myself a moron :-) Finally when halfway through second lap I unzipped my wetsuit half way and instantly I could breathe and swam good the rest of the way. Wish I would have realized it during the first lap! Time was slow from all the trying to catch breath and breast stroke. I am thinkning all the breast stroke might have started the groin problem.

What would you do differently?:

Realize wetsuit was tight. Did use it earlier in week without problem though. More OWS in cold water.
Transition 1
  • 07m 45s
Comments:

This time included a very long run from the beach. Probably like a 1/4m or so. Was wet and freezing. Teeth were chattering by the time got to actual transistion area. The actual get wetsuit off, dry off and put on long sleeves didn't take too long. Put full finger gloves on while on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 26s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was pretty good considering. Thighs were numb for about 10m. Could feel the blood going through warming them up! Feet were numb until about a few miles to go. Wind really picked up the second loop. Started feeling the groin about the last 5m. On the bike it was just annoying since it was staying stretched out. Felt like I did the bike about right. Drank 2 bottles of gatorade, 2 gels, kept cadence up with lots of switching gears. Stayed in aero position just about the whole way. Felt 19mph was good effort in the wind for running 10k afterwards.

Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

As soon as I got off the bike I could feel the groin bothering me. When I stood up in T2, groin locked up on me. Wouldn't stretch out. T2 would have been faster if not trying to stretch groin some.

Run
  • 00m
  • 6.21 miles
  •  min/mile
What would you do differently?:

not have a pulled groin!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

groin. What really sucked was the swim was so bad, that if I was going to pull out, I should have joined some people on the boat and not went through that part! Of course I didn't know it at the time. So, to push myself through that swim and still not finish makes all the worse!

Event comments:

The race was a nice event. Not too crowded. Looked for sign for BT get together, but didn't see it. Went home early with head down :-)

Last updated: 2007-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:26 | 1640 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: sleveless wetsuit
Course: 2lap triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:45
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:26 | 24.85 miles | 19.01 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: 2 loop winding course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 06.21 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Groin really hurting at start of run. Gave it a go and only made half mile. It kept getting worse. Tried to stretch it out but wasn't happening. When I turned in my chip guy asked if I wanted to walk it! I wasn't walking 5.5m at that point!
Course: 2 loops through the camping area.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-19 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: Wildman Triathlon Festival - Olympic Triathlon

2007-03-19 9:55 AM
in reply to: #727963

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Subject: RE: Wildman Triathlon Festival - Olympic Triathlon
Sorry I missed you yesterday.
2007-03-20 1:20 PM
in reply to: #727963

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Subject: RE: Wildman Triathlon Festival - Olympic Triathlon

Sorry to hear about the race Cameron.  NO WAY I would've done an outdoor swim (even up here in the Great White North) if the temperatures were in the 40s.  That's indoor tri material (indoor pool, outdoor bike and run).  69 degree water temp!  Anyone get hypothermia?

Wow!  Tough race.  Good to hear you're O.K., though...

No reason to hang your head low, consider it a learning experience.  I DQ'd in my 1st tri of last season (yeah, couple minutes penalty, not quite the same as your situation).  I felt horrible, but it taught me to slow down and stay within the cones for restricted corners.  You can bet I will be cautious in any future races.  I'm sure you came away from this with lots of 'learning' opportunities.  You've got a great base.  Race on!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildman Triathlon Festival - Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed