General Discussion Race Reports! » Fallen Officer Biathlon Time Trial Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fallen Officer Biathlon Time Trial - Biathlon (run/bike)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Cape Fear Cyclists
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 1s
Overall Rank = 35/38
Age Group = Novice
Age Group Rank = 18/20
Pre-race routine:

After waking up constantly throughout the night I finally got up at 7. Wandered aimlessly trying to figure out what to do. I had packed and pumped up my tires the night before. Got dressed, had a slimfast shake and some water. Loaded the bike and somehow ended up scrambling and not leaving until 7:45. I should have worn a watch, because I stayed with a friend I the only clock I saw was on the microwave, so I didn't keep good track of time. I was extremely nervous about forgetting something.

We signed in with no trouble, but that was a lot of numbers to put different places. The race belt I bought had snaps that weren't the right distance apart for the holes on the number, I dropped one of the snaps in the leaves and lost it, so that belt is trash.
Event warmup:

My warm-up was riding around the park for less than 5 minutes. Mostly it was just an excuse to go to the restroom for the 4th time that morning. I really didn't drink that much!
Run
  • 31m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

The run came after the bike, but it is reversed on this form. We did not have split times for our transition, so I subtracted a 3 minute guess for that. The run was great, I was wearing shorts, a t-shirt, a fleece jacket, and a baseball cap. I was surprised how much energy I had left, I probably should have run faster.

Even though I had gone to the restroom 4 times, I still needed to go even before I started the run, but it was too far from the transition area, and there were so many police around I decided to just suffer rather than hit the tree line. I was wearing tri shorts, they're quick drying, right? :) I thought I would have to rush past my family and friends, but by then it wasn't so urgent.
What would you do differently?:

Run faster and next time in this kind of event I will wear a watch and keep my own time.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

I had sweatpants on the bike (I have a chain guard), so when I took them off for the run my sock came off. I had no confidence I had everything I needed. I wore the helemet until the last second, Ican easily see how people forget to take it off. I tried to stretch my hamstrings while I changed shoes.

Hurry more
Bike
  • 43m 45s
  • 10 miles
  • 13.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I was dead last on the bike, but that's okay. I only saw one other hybrid, the rest were road and tri bikes. And I beat the guy on the other hybrid overall.

The headwind on the way out had me really depressed, I was down under 10 mph for several portions. After the turn around I felt much better, I got over 20 mph pretty quick on a slight downhill. The 1st 5 miles took 27 minutes, the next 5 took just under 15. I had been wondering how I was going to have anything left for the run. The cadence sensor on my new computer must have been bumped, so it didn't work. I still tried to keep my legs spinning over 80 by feel. Sometimes I feel so slow when I do that, but it really does save my strength for the run.

I had to pull up the leg of my sweat pants because it was hitting something, but by then my legs were warm enough.

Be rich and buy a tri bike!

At least check my computer before the start, learn to drink more while riding. It was cool enough that I didn't sweat too much, so the lack of drinking didn't hurt me.

Rebuild my engine, I need to be as fast as I can be on the bike I have.
Post race
Warm down:

I just walked around. I picked up my son, hugged him and my wife, shook hands and hugged other friends.

I think I'm a little stunned it wasn't harder. I would definetly like to lower my times, but I could have gone farther. At the end I thought I should have been much more tired. My hamstrings are killing me, but that's it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My bike, especially the wind resistance. My lack of confidence, I was so worried about failing to finish that I didn't push as hard as I could have.

Event comments:

This race it what it is, a charity event that serves as practice. It was perfect for people like me. I liked that they started the novices first, it kept everyone finishing closer together. They started a bike every 30 seconds, I started about 10th and only 3 people finished behind me. If the novices had started last, all the support may have left before I finished. Although these organizers would not have let that happen. They were really focused on making this a positive experience for everyone.

There were plenty of police to help calm car traffic. Running in the righthand bike lane was strange, but I see why they had to do it.

Last updated: 2007-03-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:16 | 03.11 miles | 10m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/20
Overall: 30/38
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 03:00
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:43:45 | 10 miles | 13.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/20
Overall: 38/38
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back, mostly flat, strong headwind for 1st half.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-19 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: Fallen Officer Biathlon Time Trial

2007-03-21 11:02 PM
in reply to: #728463

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Subject: RE: Fallen Officer Biathlon Time Trial
Congrats on your finish and thanks for choosing a race that honors my fallen brothers. Keep it up, confidence comes with experience.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fallen Officer Biathlon Time Trial Rss Feed