Canada
Vancouver Island Runners Association
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 15m 7s
Overall Rank = 447/489
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 20/22
Pre-race routine:

After our ride on Saturday, James and I drove up to Qualicum Beach with Adam and Stephanie to stay at Adam's cabin for the night. We had a great sleep, and since the race didn't start until 11:00 am, we got to sleep in until 8:00! We got up, had breakfast and coffee, and drove up to Courtenay for the race. I was worried I had eaten too much food (energy bar, oatmeal, soy yogurt with strawberries, coffee), but since the race started late, I figured I could eat more than normal. It turned out to be the perfect amount of breakfast. I had some race tummy, but otherwise felt good.
Event warmup:

Most of my "warmup" entailed chatting with friends between trips to the porta-pottie. I did a little light jogging before the race started, but figured it was a long enough course that I would warm up soon enough.
Run
  • 2h 15m 7s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 24s  min/km
Comments:

My longest training run so far this year was only 15k, so my plan for this race was to treat it as just another training day and to run the whole thing well within my comfort zone. I planned to keep my pace above 6:00/km to be safe.

This was a pretty small race, and I started out at the very back of the pack. When everyone took off at the start, I let them all go and settled into about a 6:20 pace to start warming up nicely. At one point, I was one of the last runners in the very back, and I could hear the sweep car right behind me. I couldn't help but think of the Steven King book The Long Walk, where walkers who fall below a certain pace are shot from behind by a tank, and I had visions of being blown up for moving so slowly. They were fleeting, though, because sure enough I started to pass people after the first kilometer.

I kept everything nice and comfy and just ticked off kms to the turnaround. I loved that it was an out-and-back course and that I got to see all of my friends in the last couple of km before the turnaround. I zoned out a bit and almost missed some of them, but with the small field and my hot pink vest, they at least saw me!

At the turnaround I felt absolutely great and wondered if I should pick up the effort a bit as the course turned downhill. But I reminded myself that I would be adding quite a bit of distance on this run, so I made a deal with myself: I would continue running at least a 6:00/km pace until the 16 km mark, and if I still felt like going faster after that, I would. Kilometers 14, 15, 16 were the fastest ones of the day as I anticipated allowing myself some speed, but I was still feeling cautious, and sure enough, I started to hurt around 18. Mostly because the road surface was angled and the course marshals were forcing us to run on the terrible shoulder of the road to allow cars to pass (it wasn't a closed course). My left hip, knee, and ankle were in a lot of pain through the end of the course due to the uneven running surface. So I decided to keep it in cruise control and maintain a steady pace to the finish. I focused on slowly passing people, and continued to do so right up to the finish line simply because they were slowing down while I wasn't. I also made a mental note to see my chiropractor pronto about my left side!

For nutrition, I took one gel right before the race, then one at 30 min, 1:00, and 1:30 (the last two were caffeinated), all chased with water. I have realized that a full gel is too much for me at one time, so I only took about half of each gel and discarded the rest, except for the last one because I knew I had more than half an hour to go. In previous races, I have eaten full gels and had some tummy discomfort and bloatin, but 1/2 a gel was perfect today.

The combination of race tummy and having just started my period produced some really uncomfortable cramps, and it was a difficult decision to run right by the only porta-pottie on the course -- twice! But I really just wanted to keep moving forward, and there were plenty of bushes around if the situtation had progressed to emergency status. Thankfully, it didn't!

I started to get really emotional in the last few kms. I was thinking about my grandfather, whom I watched die a slow, painful death from heart disease and diabetes and stroke complications, and who is a huge source of inspiration for me. I thought about how far I've come with my training and how much farther I hope to go. Though certainly motivational, I think these thoughts are best left for after the race, because I started to feel like I was going to cry and it was messing with my breathing and I had to talk myself down a bit.

Running down the homestretch, I was in quite a bit of pain on my left side, but I was happy to see James waiting for me by the finish line. The last few km had been painful, and I was overcome with relief at getting to run straight toward him. What was especially great was having so many friends cheering for me at the finish. That's one really nice thing about being a slowpoke -- all of my friends are already done and are waiting for me at the end!!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I paced myself beautifully, focused on my own needs, and paid attention to what my body was telling me. Even at a comfortable pace, I knocked about 14 minutes off my 1/2 marathon time from last fall, which is a huge improvement for me. I'm very happy with this run.
Post race
Warm down:

I tried to walk around a bit and ate some bananas and OJ. Since we were carpooling and had a long drive home ahead of us, we elected to get going early rather than stroll and stretch. We did stop for a very welcome veggie burger and fries on the way home, though! I could have really used an ice bath, some self-massage, and a bucket load of Traumeel, but it just wasn't in the cards today.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I hadn't run this distance yet this year, but I think I still managed it well. I started my period the night before and was dealing with some painful stomach and lower back cramps throughout the race, as well as a bit of period fatigue. We also did a ~100 km ride the day before, and my legs weren't feeling as springy as I would have liked. I think the only thing I could have done better would be to more actively encourage recovery from the long ride the day before.

Event comments:

Overall, this was a very good race for me. Given the easy effort, I'm very pleased with a 14 minute PR and I had a great time. The VERY best part was how easygoing I got to be about the whole thing. Last fall, running a 1/2 marathon felt like an epic journey, but this time it just felt like...well...Sunday. I suppose that's what Ironman training will do for you! :)

Last updated: 2007-03-13 12:00 AM
Running
02:15:07 | 21.1 kms | 06m 24s  min/km
Age Group: 20/22
Overall: 447/489
Performance: Good
First 10k in 1:04:49, second 10k in 1:03:47 for pretty even splits.
Course: Course wasn't especially scenic and was all country roads through the farmland of Courtenay. The great part was that it was mostly a slight uphill on the way out, and mostly a slight downhill on the way back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-19 12:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
Subject: Comox Valley Half Marathon

2007-03-19 1:23 PM
in reply to: #728564

User image

Master
Seattle, California
Subject: RE: Comox Valley Half Marathon
Awesome race babe!  You shattered your PR and had a big smile on your face when I saw you .  Your progress is amazing and you are going to rock Ironman this year.
2007-03-19 3:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Kristi,

Way to rock this one! I am so proud of you and that husband of yours! It certainly is nice to train and race with your loved one. I am truly lucky that Karen trains and races with me.

take a bow!

2007-03-19 4:54 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Wow. Great race. And you were 14 MINUTES faster this year after having done a long ride the day before. Awesome.

Congratulations!!
2007-03-19 6:32 PM

User image

Tra la la.. there's Kristi, running a half marathon as a training run.. cramping, in pain because of the shoulder, and after all that, she flashes her trademark smile!

You ran a fabulous race.  You should be very proud.  Not only did you conquer some physical issues, but you also worked through some mental stuff.  I probably would have kept dwelling on it and started bawling my eyes out half way through the run.  Good on ya.

Now rest up and heal up!  Next challenge is just around the corner.......

2007-03-19 8:22 PM

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
Nice work Kristi.  Your progress is quite admirable

2007-03-20 5:56 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Thats great, a 14 minute PB and you weren't pushing it too hard. Congratulations, you should be in for a great season.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Comox Valley Half Marathon Rss Feed