Columbia Track Club
28F / -2C
Precipitation
Total Time = 26m 15s
Overall Rank = 199/783
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 19/43
Pre-race routine:

I ate 2 waffles and a glass of milk for breakfast. I dressed warmly because it was cold (came back to hurt me later)
Event warmup:

I ran a few times around the block and stretched a bit. I tried to stay warm until the race started.
Run
  • 26m 3s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

The start was mad house. There was 700 people on a narrowish downtown street. It took about 1/4 mile for me to actually get to my pace because I had to weave in and out of slower people up to that point. Everything calmed down at the 1/2 mile point and i settled into my pace. I had never been on this course so I didnt really know how far it really was to the turns. I just kept running and steadily passing people. The course was marked at every 1/2 mile so I decided that I would kick push it after I hit the 2.5 mile mark. At that point as I began my kick, I figured out that I had severely over dressed. I started running faster and I got really dizzy and felt really hot, so I had to slow down alot. About 1/4 mile later i gathered my self and thought that I would kick when I could see the finish line. I thought that we were ending where we started so I waited a long time to start going faster. I then realized we finish way before where we started, so I didnt really speed up at all until about 100 ft from the finish.
What would you do differently?:

I would have dressed a little more lightly. I didnt anticipate how much i would warm up. I would also know the course a bit better so that I could have done a kick at the end
Post race
Warm down:

jogged over to water station and got water. I stretch a bit then went home and worked on my house

What limited your ability to perform faster:

over dressing, not knowing the course

Last updated: 2007-03-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:03 | 03.1 miles | 08m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/43
Overall: 199/783
Performance: Bad
Course: The course was somewhat hilly. Nothing too terrible, but several long gradual hills. This course is has more hills than other 5ks I have run. The weather is worth mentioning, it was really cold and snowing!!!!
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-03-19 1:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, MO
Subject: St Patricks Day 5k

2007-03-20 8:46 AM
in reply to: #728712

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: St Patricks Day 5k
Nice run... this was my first 5k ever back in 2000. You did a lot better than I did!
You learned a good lesson, too - know the course. That'll definitely help in the future.
Good job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St Patricks Day 5k Rss Feed