General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles Tendonitis or something else? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-27 6:12 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Subject: Achilles Tendonitis or something else?

OK, since I've gotten the orthotics and started running again, I have this pain that extends from the back of my ankle up to the notch below the muscle-y part of the calf (just below the gastrocnemius, I suppose). It hurts while I'm running more and is just kinda achy and tight feeling the rest of the time. It's not really swollen that I can tell. One thing that is very distinct is that when I squat down all the way on that leg (like to pet my dog when he's laying on the floor) it hurts like a sonuvab*tch.

I was thinking it must be achilles tendonitis until just now, I was reading Runner's World's rundown. It says that if you pinch the tendon, it should hurt really badly. Well, it's slightly sore, but not what I would call "serious pain" like it says in the article. What do you all say?

2004-08-27 11:33 PM
in reply to: #54621

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Achilles Tendonitis or something else?
If it's just slightly sore, it might just be getting used to the orthotics. Since your feet will now be placed into a position that they aren't used to, a little soreness for a few days might be noticeable. However, if this gets worse when running, or persists longer than about 4-5 days, I'd go back and have them re-check your orthotics.

I read in one Runner's World article that almost everyone can benefit from some form of insole in their running shoes, but the vast majority of those people can get along just fine with an off-the-shelf variety insert.
2004-08-28 6:47 PM
in reply to: #54664

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Thanks Joe. I think it's definitely an injury, unfortunately. I had it before, too (had gone away with rest). I'll be talking to the podiatrist about it Monday, so hopefully she'll help me out. I have flat feet, bunions and I over provate pretty badly, so unfortunately, I needed real orthotics. :-P But, just as a tip, the podiatrist told me that something like 50% of the people who come in to see her can just use "Superfeet" inserts. They're like 25-30 bucks at REI or a running store. Didn't work for me though..... :-(
2004-09-27 11:56 AM
in reply to: #54621

User image

Regular
Marble Falls, TX
I did mine in during summer soccer season mostly not stretching good enough not enough warm up time, playing in 3 soccer teams(coed, mens indoor, mens outdoor and the practice to boot)..like I am 19 again.... Duh!!
I played with it hurting during warm up and after cool down and a little aggrivation during(not more than I could handle) that was not smart finaly after summer season and training for fall started hurting allot more all the time...stinging when trying to do activity..I thought...darn thats it surgery..etc
But I have stayed away from the soccer field and from running for 6 weeks and it has made vast improvements, I have been jogging with some stiffness and instability so I am slow jogging and walking/hiking as well at a nice brisk pace... I have run(pardon the pun) actually right now its more like walked into a site that has some excercises for preventative achilles injuries they have been helping me build strength in that area...

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/achilles-tendonitis.htm...

I am not sure if they completely work I have just started doing them myself, the theory makes sense along with the sources are very credible. I am doing these lightly while I am recovering....

I thought I would pass on my story and a link for information...hopefully no one neglects stretching and warm up/cool down like I did and hurts themself like I did.....Warm up....stretch....cool down..... everytime...

Tri Hard...Train safe...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles Tendonitis or something else? Rss Feed