General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To upgrade or not to upgrade Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-22 11:11 AM

User image

Tulsa, OK
Subject: To upgrade or not to upgrade
Any advice would be great on this...

Not only did I just get into triathlons in the past year, but I also just got into shape. I bought a Trek 1500 (105s all around), replaced the seat and added aero bars and Ultegra pedals. I'm getting tech fever here and would like to upgrade, but will I notice a difference? At what point do you stop getting part upgrades and just get a new bike?

I'm looking at a Felt 55 or 3C, both all Dura Ace. Both pretty well-rated by roadbikereview.com. Can anyone give me advice on things to consider?

Also, it looks like I could save hundreds if I just order online. Local LBSs don't ever seem to have deals, and aren't really interested in fitting me well unless I buy a $5,000 bike. So it's not like a good guess at a size online would be much different from the "too good for me" LBS merchant.

2007-03-22 11:29 AM
in reply to: #733136

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: To upgrade or not to upgrade
I'm not a big fan of upgrading components, not a whole lot of bang for your buck there. If anything, maybe consider races wheels, but my preference would be to just save the money and put it toward a new bike, if that's the direction you want to go.
2007-03-22 12:05 PM

User image

I rode an old Trek 1200 for 2 seasons, upgraded basically what you did, clipless pedals, aero bars, new saddle.  Other than that, there' not a whole lot you can do that's worth the money as far as upgrades go (not a bike weenie, so take it with a grain of salt)

The only thing to consider is fit.  The Felt may get good reviews and be in your price range, but if it doesn't fit, might as well be your old bike.

I bought my bike on line but I had a friend that had the same bike, riding his and sending measurements to the dealer I figured out I needed one size larger. 

2007-03-23 3:07 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

It seems to me that there isn't anything wrong with the bke you have. Of course, if you want a new bike and can afford it, buy it (and post pics!).

Just don't forget that YOU still have to ride it.

For most folks , better equipment will cause them to realize some gains, TRAINING, on the other hand is where most gains are made.

You have realistically maxed out the potential of the 1500 as a tri-bike, save putting some killer wheels on it. 

I'd say, put iin another season on the bike you have now, but do some real soul-searching about what kind of riding you want to do in the future and ask yourself if a tri-bike is an option as well.

2007-03-23 3:30 PM

St Louis, MO

• ..but will I notice a difference? At what point do you stop getting part upgrades and just get a new bike?

• where you will notice a difference is in rolling weight (wheelset) or shifting/braking. You will not notice saving weight with cranks/stem/seatpost,etc. If you do not have the money to upgrade bikes, consider upgrading components that you will take to the next bike, such as a wheelset.

I'm looking at a Felt 55 or 3C, both all Dura Ace. Both pretty well-rated by roadbikereview.com. Can anyone give me advice on things to consider?

• ...if DA bikes are in your budget, then by all means, get on the upgrade bandwagon and start pricing out a new bike! Sell your 1500 to someone looking to get into tri Like I said before, although DA is much lighter than 105 (maybe ~1-2lb) you will probably only notice a difference in shifting/braking. The shifting will be much crisper with shorter throw, and the braking will be much more solid and easier to stop.

• Also, it looks like I could save hundreds if I just order online. Local LBSs don't ever seem to have deals, and aren't really interested in fitting me well unless I buy a $5,000 bike. So it's not like a good guess at a size online would be much different from the "too good for me" LBS merchant.

its a shame that some shops arent as helpful as others. Generally I try to treat all customers equally regardless of what they are buying....(unless they are talking on their cell phone, then I really dont care). it is true you will spend more at an LBS, but the extra you spend comes with a professional build and maintenance. Im sure you can imagine, but shop employees generally treat their true customers better than ones who bring in online parts or bikes they would like to have asssembled/repaired.

Edited by Redline1 2007-03-23 3:39 PM
    2007-03-23 4:34 PM

User image

Tulsa, OK
    Thanks to all for the replys. I'm maybe a little too skeptical spend that much online for something I haven't tested. But if I test them at a LBS, I need to buy from them too. Kind of a catch 22.

Fortunately, I have a friend who worked at a bike shop for years offer to build one for me if I got the parts. He loves that stuff. I'd get to watch and learn as well.

I appreciate the note about getting another year of training in before upgrading. I think that is what I will do. At my skill level (I am on beginnertriathlele after all) I may not notice great difference yet. Thanks again to all.

P.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To upgrade or not to upgrade Rss Feed