2007-03-23 8:23 PM
in reply to: #735192

User image

Expert
Charleston, SC
Subject: RE: Q for Dems
run4yrlif - 2007-03-23 7:31 PM
bcotten534 - 2007-03-23 6:52 PM

run4yrlif - 2007-03-23 2:58 PM He may present as a sympathetic figure for people for people affected by cancer. He and his wife are going on with their lives, projecting an image of confidence that cancer is something you deal with and move on. I think that's positive.

I disagree because Edwards isnt effected by cancer, his wife is.

Oh, Im somewhat of a moderate/rightleaning independant.

My mom relapsed with cancer not to long after she married my stepdad, and from what I understand know (thankfully didnt know it at the time) is relapses are pretty much a death sentance. I saw the ever increasing sacrifices made by my step dad, as my mom grew sicker and sicker. I cannot fathom the disdain I would have towards him if he had been traveling all over the country trying to further his career instead. IMO, it is the cancer patient who should try to carry on, and those around should be there for support. Sure it seems doable now, but what about in 6 months or a year when she cant even get out of bed? I think if Jesus himself had made this same desision, Id lose respect for him based on my personal experience.

You think that a husband isn't affected by his wife's cancer?

I'll tell you that when my dad and grandmother died of lung cancer within a week of each other, I was affected pretty seriously. To say my mom wasn't affected, well, that's just inaccurate. She was immensely affected. Cancer doesn't just strike individuals, it affects families.

From what her doctor has said, even though it's incurable, it is treatable and apparently her prognosis is good. It definitely doesn't sound like a death sentence anymore than everyone is sentenced to die eventually.

Being strong and steadfast in the face of disease, and showing a willingness to just get on with your life, to me, is nothing but positive. This was clearly a joint decision by the two of them, and it should not only be respected, but applauded. But that's just my opinion.

For the record, I'm a liberal democrat. But had even GWB been in a similar circumstance, I would have respected him and his wife equally.

Cancer knows no political parties.

Of course JE is effected, it would be silly to think otherwise.  It was my understanding that she would make it 2 years if she was lucky, maybe she'll live indeffinatly with cancer (like Magic Johnson and AIDS) but that wasnt my understanding.  If thats the case, it may change my mind a little.  However, with cancer there will always be good days and bad days and I simply cant imagine leaving a loved one hit the campain trail while there is still so much uncertainty. 

If I was in the same position as him, my choice would be different and its not even close.  I would not wanna subject myself to so many days away, so many new responsiblities, and pressures of leading a nation while caring for my sick wife.   Hopefully everything works out for the best.

2007-03-23 8:37 PM
in reply to: #735235

User image

Giver
bcotten534 - 2007-03-23 9:23 PM
run4yrlif - 2007-03-23 7:31 PM
bcotten534 - 2007-03-23 6:52 PM

run4yrlif - 2007-03-23 2:58 PM He may present as a sympathetic figure for people for people affected by cancer. He and his wife are going on with their lives, projecting an image of confidence that cancer is something you deal with and move on. I think that's positive.

I disagree because Edwards isnt effected by cancer, his wife is.

Oh, Im somewhat of a moderate/rightleaning independant.

My mom relapsed with cancer not to long after she married my stepdad, and from what I understand know (thankfully didnt know it at the time) is relapses are pretty much a death sentance. I saw the ever increasing sacrifices made by my step dad, as my mom grew sicker and sicker. I cannot fathom the disdain I would have towards him if he had been traveling all over the country trying to further his career instead. IMO, it is the cancer patient who should try to carry on, and those around should be there for support. Sure it seems doable now, but what about in 6 months or a year when she cant even get out of bed? I think if Jesus himself had made this same desision, Id lose respect for him based on my personal experience.

You think that a husband isn't affected by his wife's cancer?

I'll tell you that when my dad and grandmother died of lung cancer within a week of each other, I was affected pretty seriously. To say my mom wasn't affected, well, that's just inaccurate. She was immensely affected. Cancer doesn't just strike individuals, it affects families.

From what her doctor has said, even though it's incurable, it is treatable and apparently her prognosis is good. It definitely doesn't sound like a death sentence anymore than everyone is sentenced to die eventually.

Being strong and steadfast in the face of disease, and showing a willingness to just get on with your life, to me, is nothing but positive. This was clearly a joint decision by the two of them, and it should not only be respected, but applauded. But that's just my opinion.

For the record, I'm a liberal democrat. But had even GWB been in a similar circumstance, I would have respected him and his wife equally.

Cancer knows no political parties.

Of course JE is effected, it would be silly to think otherwise. It was my understanding that she would make it 2 years if she was lucky, maybe she'll live indeffinatly with cancer (like Magic Johnson and AIDS) but that wasnt my understanding. If thats the case, it may change my mind a little. However, with cancer there will always be good days and bad days and I simply cant imagine leaving a loved one hit the campain trail while there is still so much uncertainty.

If I was in the same position as him, my choice would be different and its not even close. I would not wanna subject myself to so many days away, so many new responsiblities, and pressures of leading a nation while caring for my sick wife. Hopefully everything works out for the best.

I here ya, but I have to believe that she was a huge part of the decision. I can't think of a man alive who would, if his sick wife said "no", defy her. 

2007-03-23 8:40 PM
in reply to: #734897

Elite
Denver, Colorado
ChrisM - 2007-03-23 2:44 PM

Not a dem.... but then again, not really a republican.  There's not really a place for a pro death penalty, pro choice, pro stem cell etc. kinda guy.......

And free trade, and lower taxes.

It's called "independent."

If it were my wife, I'd drop out.

Edited by MikeTheBear 2007-03-23 8:43 PM
2007-03-24 3:35 PM
in reply to: #734857

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky

What will he accomplish by not running?

I would not want my loved ones to put their lives on hold because mine was ending.

Edited by tim_edwards 2007-03-24 3:36 PM
2007-03-24 10:57 PM
in reply to: #735588

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Tmwelshy, I share a lot of your sentiment.....I'm in NC and in my opinion, he definitely is using this to play on people's emotions. I have had little respect for him, long before this press conference. And no, I'm not a dem, but I call em like I see em.... not happy with Repubs either.

I said a prayer for his wife and for him and his family and I hope things will be as well as they can be for them.
2007-03-26 1:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Visalia, CA
conservative rep.
as long as her illness and death wouldn't effect his ability to run the country than i think he should run. not saying that she has a death sentance or anything, but something he should think about nonetheless. cancer, illness, death absolutely will effect his ability to focus on the tasks at hand. i cannot fathom running a campaign or being the president and attempting to be the supportive husband my wife deserves while she's healthy, let alone sick.

2007-03-26 1:06 PM

User image

Caught bits and pieces of the bobble head Couric interviewing the Edwards' last night, and I have to say I was impressed.  The thing that stuck with me was that she said "I could go on with my life or I could just get ready to die."  No idea what decision I would make, but I have a lot of respect for them from the little that I saw.
2007-03-26 2:08 PM
in reply to: #737223

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

ChrisM - and I have to say I was impressed...

I was impressed as well, until he talked about his six and eight year olds needing to learn to fly on there own. Those are really young kids who will probably live a large part of their childhood without their mother.

I've got a friend who's been living with stomach cancer for six years now. He's got a eight year old daughter. He and his wife are amazing. They also subscribe to the "get the most out of life" philosophy. He's a former pro soccer player. He was in great shape before the cancer, so it's helped a lot in his surviving this long. But I can't imagine them taking on anything extra in their life, not even an extra volunteer committee at their daughter's school, let alone a run for the presidency and possibly winning it.

He spends as much of his time with his daughter as he can. Some days that's not much because of his condition, other days it's a lot. She probably won't have him that much longer. Every hour is precious.

Six and eight is way too young to fly on your own. My wife lost her dad when she was two. Her siblings were older. It still is the most significant event in their lives. You just can't underestimate the effect of losing a parent at a young age.

Come to think of it, maybe no one with young children should run for president. Do it after your kids have grown up.

FWIW, I'm a Dem... 

Edited by dontracy 2007-03-26 2:11 PM
2007-03-26 2:27 PM
in reply to: #737355

User image

dontracy - 2007-03-26 12:08 PM

ChrisM - and I have to say I was impressed...

I was impressed as well, until he talked about his six and eight year olds needing to learn to fly on there own.

snip

Come to think of it, maybe no one with young children should run for president. Do it after your kids have grown up.

FWIW, I'm a Dem... 

Yes, I heard that quote too, and taken baldly, it's out of context.  She said they've discussed it and figured it out so that they could spend as much time as possible with the kids.  She didn't cavalierly say "well they'll just need to figure it out."  So I didn't take it quite that way.

Hell, I would have loved to have my mom home and not have to work when I was a kid, but that just wasn't the way it was.

As for the last comment, if that were true, two of the Democrat's heroes - Kennedy and Clinton -- wouldn't have been president

2007-03-26 2:34 PM
in reply to: #737376

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
ChrisM -

She didn't cavalierly say "well they'll just need to figure it out." So I didn't take it quite that way.

Yea, you're right.  I don't want to misrepresent.

Thing is, unlike your mom these folks don't need to work.  Edward's says that he's running out of a desire to serve.  Just seems out of place to me, given what the next several years have in store for their family.

I get that anyone who seriously considers running for president has a large measure of unbridled ambition.

As for the presidency and children, maybe the constitution should be rewritten so that you can only run if your children are over 35. Gosh, JFK was three years younger than me when he died.  (and yes, I remember where I was and what I was doing )

2007-03-26 3:01 PM
in reply to: #737390

User image

(and yes, I remember where I was and what I was doing )

Sorry, still just a gleam in my mama's eye

2007-03-26 3:13 PM
in reply to: #734879

Elite
Livingston, MT
CitySky - 2007-03-23 11:34 AM

Dem.

Hafta admit, I'm struggling with it. Your wife has stage-4 metastatic breast cancer, and you're going to focus your time and energy for the next year and half on what?

Of course, there is plenty i don't know about the situation - see above. But as much as I'd rather not sit in judgment of someone else's priorities, on the surface this seemed nuts to me.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

2007-03-26 5:03 PM

User image

Buttercup

My take is that I'm not going to second guess their decision.

I've known too many people who have been treated for cancer; probably half of them died. They all dealt with it differently. Some march on and behave as if this is just a blip on their screen; others have retreated to home and made the most of their remaining time with family. Who's to say what is best for the Edwards family, better than the Edwards family?

Does not change how I see his run for Presidency. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Q for Dems Rss Feed  

of 2