General Discussion Race Reports! » Timp Tri Club Icebreaker Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Timp Tri Club Icebreaker Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
American Fork, Utah
United States
Gold Medal Racing
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 16s
Overall Rank = 108/330
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special. Ate Oatmeal and Peanut Butter toast. Packed up my junk and headed to the race. Transition area was a little tighter than I am used to, so it was hard to get my stuff set up like I like.
Event warmup:

Swam a few 50s. Stretched a little. Peed at least 10 times :)
Swim
  • 05m 51s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

I did really well at pacing myself and swimming strong for the first 100m. Then I got stuck behind someone and pulled hard to pass 3 people on the 3rd 50m lap. I think I spent too much oxygen on that pass move. I was pretty tired for the last 100m. At the wall turnaround for the last 50m stretch, I stopped and let 3 people pass because they were right on my tail. I ended up getting stuck behind them for the last 25m. This probably cost me 15 secs.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. It is tough to keep perfect pace when you have to worry about passing people in the lanes (or being passed. Also I did not kick turn. I need to get good at kick turns for the next pool Tri. The swim ended up being my best event, which is funny because I got almost last place in the swim at my last race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

T1 went WAY better than last year at this same course. I was about half the time overall. If I'd skipped the socks, I could have saved another 20secs, but I still don't like the idea of racing without socks. Maybe I'll practice it some more. I ran out with my shoes on the pedals this time. It dropped my t1 time, but may have cost me on the bike time. It took longer than it should have to get my feet in the shoes.

Practice getting in the shoes on the bike faster. Consider going sockless.
Bike
  • 38m 15s
  • 11.3 miles
  • 17.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I was pretty winded after the swim. It didn't help that the first half of the bike loop was all uphill. I was doing pretty poorly for the half of the bike. I had a hard time getting into rhythm. About 4 miles in on the fast downhill part, I finally caught my breath and started feeling OK. I was able to keep my speed up OK after that. I still did pretty weak on the hill the second lap.

I just couldn't get too comfy on the bike today. I haven't been able to ride much since it has been winter, so I think I will be better by the next couple of races. I wish I would not have taken so many 20 second coasts to drink. I was about the same time as last year on this course, but I haven't ridden much this winter, so I guess I have just maintained my fitness, not improved.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

This went almost perfect. I got out my shoes on the bike, and rode the last 100 yards with my feet ontop of shoes. I hopped off at the dismount line and ran with my bike. I managed to keep my shoes at 9 and 3 o clock on the cranks so they didn't drag. Racking went perfect. Then I went to put on my shoes and they were already tied! I slipped them on, but they were too loose and I had to untie them and retie them.

Get some quick laces or at least make sure my shoes are untied and ready to go. I would also like I race belt, because I wanted to change my shirt but couldn't afford the time to unpin the race number and put it on the SS shirt
Run
  • 26m 59s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Had the usual jelly legs for the first half mile. As soon as I felt like my legs were coming back, I hit the big hill. I ran half and had to walk half. This dropped my first mile to 10:00 pace. Ran the second mile at okay pace, just trying to stay strong while regaining my breath. Last mile was a pretty good clip and I had some downhill. It band started rubbing on knee about 1/2 mile from finish thanks to the downhill. IT bands hate downhill running! I tried to keep my form in check and was able to finish strong. As I entered the finish chute, I heard someone sprinting up behind me. There was no way someone was going to sprint past me at the finish line! I went into a full sprint and we had a little head to head 100y dash to the finish. It was a pretty fun way to finish the race

I need more bricks to get used to the jelly legs. There isn't much I can do for run performance because I have been injured. Just need to keep building slowly and I think I will be OK. Run could have been better, but I pretty much started from zero again in January. Still beat last years time by 2 mins. I was hoping for a 25:00, but a 27:00 is acceptable given the big hill. The other problem was that I was overdressed. I was cooking in my long sleeve thermal jersey because by now it was almost 60 degrees.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing much. Walked around, at some snacks. I got a free massage from a sponsor, so that was nice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It is march, so not enough time since winter to get my bike legs back. I died a bit on the run. I also think my too-warm shirt held me back a bit mentally. I ended up at 2nd place in my AG, so I can't complain too much. I was less than 20 seconds being the 1st place AG, so it hard not to beat myself up over all the places I think I could have made up that time.

Event comments:

This was a great race. Lots of people showed up, it was well organized, and they had a lot of nice little touches. Unfortunately, the timing company had a major malfunction and was unable to get our times at the race. So we didn;t have an awards ceremony. Kinda stinks, since I won 2nd in my AG! Can't really blame the race company for a glitch with the timing, though. I am told I will get mailed my medal, so it is all good. I am impressed with the new GOld medal racing company that put on this event. I think I will do some more of there events in the future.

Last updated: 2007-03-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:51 | 300 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 72/330
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Shorts
Course: Snake style pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:20
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:38:15 | 11.3 miles | 17.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 95/330
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Pretty strong hills first 1.5 miles of each laps. Steady slight incline for another 1.5. Fast downhill back section to finish each lap. Some traffic on back section, but police were doing a good job keeping it out of our way.
Road: Potholes  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:59 | 03 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 157/330
Performance: Average
Course: Pretty significant hill for first mile. Flat second mile, downhill 3rd mile. Asphault the whole way.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-24 11:04 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Subject: Timp Tri Club Icebreaker Triathlon

2007-03-25 10:04 AM
in reply to: #735826

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Timp Tri Club Icebreaker Triathlon

Good race and congratulations on the hardware! The timing chip company had my run time off by more than six minutes buy my timing so I'm still not sure about my official times. I hope they fix it.

How did you get the m.p.h. for the bike course? Are you going off the distance on your GPS? 

Edited by yojimbo 2007-03-25 10:07 AM
2007-03-25 4:47 PM
in reply to: #735929

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

Thanks! I was a little weak on the run and bike, but I ended up doing OK. THe timing issue kinda sucks, but what are you going to do?

The race site said it was 12.3 mile bike course. I think it must have been a little shorter, because I probably didn't avg 19.5 mph. I think it was more like 11.5 miles, which would put me at 18ish. I just filled in the race report with my time and it auto calculated it for me.

Edit:  I just looked again and it was actually 11.3 miles.  The averages listed on the results are based on that.  I adjusted my report to reflect that. 

Edited by tkbslc 2007-03-25 4:57 PM
2007-03-25 10:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kuna, Idaho
Way to go on the bling...  Nice race and report. 
2007-03-26 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Hardware!!! Sounds like the run went well after you got up that hill!! Great job!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timp Tri Club Icebreaker Triathlon Rss Feed