United States
CAPRI Events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 44s
Overall Rank = 124/176
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 15/24
Pre-race routine:

What a great decision to stay at my aunt's house. She has like a separate apartment/house downstairs. Made tea and coffee, ate cheese stick and yogurt, relaxed and headed out for nice drive with DH and DS sleepy but not too grumpy.
Event warmup:

Set up T, the usual. Talked to rack mates about wetsuit or not. Decided to try it. Met Betsy (HEY BETSY - hope you had a great race!) and found my friend Gina. Talking with Gina really kept the nerves away. We got in and I got to try the wetsuit a few strokes before the start. Then some deep breathing and we were off.
Swim
  • 17m 37s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

Dh said it took 10 minutes of my swim to round the first bouy, then 5 minutes to do the rest + exit water. 2.5min to get into transition.
What would you do differently?:

Well, doing a first swim in a wetsuit wasn't the best decision, but I did ok. I got a little queazy, I think because I was floating higher in the water, so I didn't really get a groove going, but had to keep breathing deeply to keep my tummy in check. Managed to pass a few backstokers and someone having an axiety attack, but that was about it. Waves in the ocean are just hard on the seasick prone folks like me!
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

It seemed like a long way to the T area, and then they made us go sideways and by a water stop to add several yards to that. Ouchy on the feet. I did get the hat and goggles off and wetsuit down to my waist as I ran off the beach. Got it most ways off with a spectator on the other side of the fence using me to demonstrate to a friend how transitions are done (imagine someone doing a running commentary on your transition while it was happening). He was forgiven when he saw me struggling with my last foot of the wetsuit and pulled it off for me. (What, no strippers?, he said!) I was in a pile of dusty dirt that stuck to everything, but other than that it was ok.

Not much, practice wetsuit foot removal more.
Bike
  • 36m 13s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 17.40 mile/hr
Comments:

I love to ride my bike, it gets better all the time. There was a headwind for most of the way (which I'm still trying to figure out). Played leapfrog with a few of my age group but knew it wouldn't matter, they'd get me on the run. Just enjoyed a fun fast ride on a beautiful morning. It's always such a treat to get to ride fast without worrying about cars.

Well, there were still times I think I could have pushed harder - some day I will pick a race to just go all out no holds barred, but this one was still pretty fun and fast.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Just ran in and switched shoes, grabbed water and a snack to take with me, and headed out.

Remember my running cap. Had to use a spare from the car. My rack was WAAAAAYYYYYY down at the far end, so lots of running with cleats on. Maybe a little faster if I could learn that shoe on the bike trick.
Run
  • 33m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

It was gorgeous, and nice to have the out and back with lots of encouragement from others along the way (First names on the bibs was cool). I pushed more than I usually would on the run, but still got passed by a lot of folks. Saw Gina while I was running.

Eh, I still would like to improve my running times. I think it's where I could make the biggest difference, but I just haven't had that focus yet this year.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bagel and water and some grapes for DS. Stood around hoping to win a prize (I didn't) or a slot for St. Anthony's (I didn't), headed home with DS and DH - my amazing cheering section! We stopped at my aunt's for a shower (for me) and then ate at the most yummy hole in the wall Puerto Rican restaurant on the way out of town back to the land of the big black rat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Seasickness and new wetsuit, slow running plodding along.

Event comments:

Well, Nicole DeBoom won the race - was cool to see her there and she did the first timer's talk at the Expo. I just feel so lucky to be so supported by all my friends and family and most especially by DS and DH - they really made my day today and cheered me on and gave me good advice and lots of love. Whahooooo! I'll be back to this venue in August for the Publix Family Fitness weekend - which is a FUN FUN race, too!

Last updated: 2007-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:37 | 820 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 0/176
Performance: Below average
Suit: new-to-me sleeveless orca one
Course: swim against current almost halfway, then back parallel to shore and in. Longish run up beach and around to side of transition area on ouchy pavement.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:20
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:13 | 10.5 miles | 17.40 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Right turn out and back then past start and out and back - sort of a boomerang shaped course. Flat and fast and fun with some wind. (ok, course was shorter than previously thought - was 16.9K or 10.5miles) Didn't think I really was doing 20mph! I wish the bike was longer)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:30 | 03.11 miles | 10m 46s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on running path/sidewalk.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-03-25 5:48 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Subject: Subaru US Womens Triathlon Series

2007-03-25 6:11 PM
in reply to: #736244

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Subaru US Womens Triathlon Series
what fun to see Nicole deBoom, oh yeah, and betsy too!  Holy CRAP you are a speedster on that bike!  Great race!
2007-03-25 6:37 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Wow...great kick off for the season!

You were smoking fast on the bike. You will get there with dedication on the run...but I'm right there with you.

Very cool you have supportive love ones...makes it all the sweeter to race! 

Congrats on a awesome race! 

2007-03-25 7:18 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great Job hope you had a fun fun timer!! sounds like you did
2007-03-25 8:55 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-03-26 5:19 AM
in reply to: #736262

Expert
Orlando, FL
well, thanks for the congrats everyone! Possum and KathyG - I was NOT that smokin on the bike, see the updated distance. (was only 10.5miles after all).

One of these days I will get to be in a race where they do not cut the bike short - sheesh!

2007-03-26 5:39 AM

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Ann,

Great race!  It sounds like you had a lot of fun and did well in the race.  I like that term "ouchy pavement".  I have to remember that one.  I guess the wetsuit was a learning experience and bummer about the seasickness.  That must have been hard.  Congratulations on a good start to the race season.

Ernie 

2007-03-26 12:30 PM

Elite
South Florida
Way to go!  Thta's cool that Nicole DeBoom was there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru US Womens Triathlon Series Rss Feed