Australia
30C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 42m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was supposed to be doing a 100k hills ride today so after i was talked into doing this sprint race I reorganised myself. got up early rode down to the race start. 25k ride. my legs were tired when I got on the bike but after 10k's it was great I really warmed up and loosened my legs up.
Event warmup:

First race I've ever done a proper warm up. think 25k's is a great way to warm up for a short race! skulled half a bottle of carboshotz set up my gear, froze while we were waiting for the briefing. my toes went so numb.
Swim
  • 04m 10s
  • 250 meters
  • 01m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

I knew I had to start right up the front in the middle to be able to get anywhere on this swim. being only 250m's. I just put my head down and sprinted off for the first 50m's to get some clear water. I didn't even check the direction I was swimming just put the head down and swam.

it was an awesome swim, the water was warmer then outside and it was clear flat and perfect.
I rounded the bouy and started heading into shore when I realised that I was swimming completely by myself. I did a quick check behind me and realised that I was well in front in my wave. (Ohmigod!) I did see a swimmer in front of me but caught them very quickly and realised that they were swimming very slowly so must ahve been in the wave in front of me.

Yes I came out first in my wave!
What would you do differently?:

um not much, it was only 250m's
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

there was a seriuosly long run from the water to the transition it was probably around 700m's my feet were completely numb which was great because I couldn't feel all the gravel under my feet.
threw on my helmet and shoes and grabbed the bike out. in the process my bike computer flew across the ground. crap had to stop pick it up and put it on the bike

fix my computer so it can't fly off.
Bike
  • 17m
  • 10 kms
  • 35.29 km/hr
Comments:

I jumped on the bike and felt great, it was a pretty hard to hammer it on this course with soooo many people out there. 3 laps for 10k's with 1000 odd people there made it a bit scary. with so many new people out there.

I hammered it as much as I could. was talking the whole way to people bike right bike right. can ya move over please. I didn't get passed by any girls on the bike and I lapped a few from my wave. `

ride faster, drink something. It was only 10k's and I was concentrating so hard the whole time to not hit anyone when I was passing people that I forgot to drink. didn't seem to make too much difference on that distance though
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

had a good transition, I didh ave to put socks on though. it sucks having orthotics I can't run without socks. so for 2.5ks it was a bit silly putting socks on but I had no choice

find a way to run without socks and still wear orthotics in short races.
Run
  • 13m 30s
  • 2.5 kms
  • 05m 24s  min/km
Comments:

I got a stitch as soon as I started running but thought oh well its only 2.5k's just keep running you'll be finished before you know it. I ran as fast as I could. I'm so not a runner but was very happy that I could push it a bit harder then I normally do.
the stitch disapparead after about a km and then my calves started cramping up. just kept running.
I got passed by one girl and a few guys. got to the railway line and new the finish line was round the corner so put in a bit of a sprint!

run faster
Post race
Warm down:

I actually think I came second in my wave! oh my god!
I grabbed the race bag and had some water and jelly beans. waited for my team to finish and cheered them down the chute.
did a little bit of stretching wiating for the rest of my work teams to finish.
we hung around for the presentations and yep you guessed it they messed up my category's results. No fair. the only race I think I'm ever goign to have a chance at a place and they mess it up. I think my team possibly might have won a place! hopefully they sort it out this week.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me :)

Event comments:

Its a fun race to do with so many new people doing their very firs tri. and it was alot bigger then when I've done it before. the organisation was again not great but I think it was better then some of their other races!
I was pretty disappointed with the presentations being messed up!
waited around when I could have been on the bike riding back home. Oh well.

Last updated: 2007-03-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:10 | 250 meters | 01m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: straight line along the shore
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0C / 0F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:17:00 | 10 kms | 35.29 km/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 3 laps of a flat out and back course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:13:30 | 02.5 kms | 05m 24s  min/km
Performance: Good
Course: a lap of freo out on the jetty as well
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-03-25 9:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: Corporate Teams Triathlon

2007-03-25 9:32 PM
in reply to: #736440

Perth
Subject: RE: Corporate Teams Triathlon

Good fun that distance...nice race...

Shame about the crowded nature of it (the cross over on the run was a bit annoying), you should enter the Corporate Male cat next year , we had an empty course prety much the whole way.

2007-03-25 10:48 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Hey Kool sounds like you had an awesome race! I agree with people being all over the road and not knowing what they were doing, I rear ended some girl on a MTB after she missed the bike exit when I was on my second lap and then she just stopped dead in front of me! Scary! Somehow I managed not to fall off

I also wear orthotics and need to put socks on ... it is annoying and slows me down in transition but I don't think there is much you can do. I had a friend who ran without orthrotics and she got plantar fascitis which has been a problem now for a few years, I'd rather lose a minute in transition than get a permanent injury! I use those little cute running socks that finish just at the ankle 'cos they're quick to put on, thats the only time saving thing I can think of

Good luck for your HIM training!!!

2007-03-26 1:57 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney
Congrats on your place - even if they did mess it up! Sounds a bit like dogem cars but fun fun fun too!
2007-03-26 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Mel,

Great race and congratulations on being first out of the water.  That must have been an awesome feeling.  Did you double your Vegemite intake?  

Ernie 

2007-03-26 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
How much fun are the shorter races???
Sounds like you had a ball out there.
Congrats on a super fast swim time too!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}