United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Was much more careful about what I ate/drank the day before and morning of the race. Had a Clif Bar and Gatoraid on the way downtown. I must've had some nerves going, because I ran a red light and got lectured by a cop while trying to find parking (no ticket!)

Event warmup:

Jogged, stretched, peed, stretched peed.
Run
  • 1h 21m 30s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my longest run to date. Previously my longest was about 6 1/2 miles. I have a tendency to start out too quickly, so I made an effort to try to maintain about 8 1/2 minutes/mile. By halfway, this was not really that hard to do.

I thought I might take some breaks to walk, but managed to run, slowly, the whole way. The last couple fo rises were brutal.

My right knee started wacking out on me after the halfway point. This has not previously been a problem, so it kind of took my by surprise. The knee was probably more of a factor than anything else.

Toward the end I got passed by a lot of people. I wanted to turn around and yell "ok, everyone needs to slow down now. Nobody else may pass me." But really, for my first longer distance race, I was mostly focusing on my own endurance, and finishing.
What would you do differently?:

Wear a knee brace on my right knee.
Train some longer distances/times.
Post race
Warm down:

My knee and legs were killing me. Stretched a bit. Had a couple of bananas and some water and walked around Fountain Square. The only "plain" water was right in the finishing chute, and all the water on the Square was fancy, flavored, water, or heavy juices. I just wanted plain water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience w/ longer distances and a wacked-out knee.

Event comments:

Very well organized. So many volunteers. All the folks handing out water were cheering the runners. Not a ton of spectators, but those who were out there were vocal and very supportive.

And finally - perspective. The local paper featured a story today about two men who walked the 10k... one had received the heart of the other's 21-year-old son who died last year. I am just thankful for my sore knees and healthy body, as well as humbled by these two guys who have faced some of the worst things imaginable, and yet come together on a sunny Saturday afternoon for a walk.. and to give something back.

Last updated: 2007-03-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:21:30 | 9.32 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Columbia Parkway out and back with a quick, steep diversion up a side street. The course is lots of long, slow, ups and downs. Never flat.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes