Deepwood Foundation
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 27m 29s
Overall Rank = ?/?
Age Group = F 46-50
Age Group Rank = 3/?
Pre-race routine:

The usual. Up at 5am. Feed cats, chickens, dog. Feed me (egg, cheese, english muffin sandwich and OJ). Was in a dilemma over how to dress. Morning temps were below freezing, but was expecting temps to be in the 40's at race time. So I wore my lightweight running tights, t-shirt and an old threadbare zippered hoodie. My hobo look! As it turned out, this kept me a perfect temperature. Pulled on some warmer clothes overtop for before and after the race, but didn't need them at all afterwards.

Met Sue and her house and she drove to the race site.
Event warmup:

Walking, then jogging, then some light stretching. I had a nice warm-up today. The biggest dilemma at the start is always where to place ourselves amidst the crowd. Almost always Sue and I stay to the back, but today we were in the middle. Not a bad place to start. I think our hard work improving our running has earned us a place in the middle.
Run
  • 27m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

My achilles has been feeling really good the last 2-3 weeks. I decided that I wanted to push the pace IF everything was feeling good. Everything did feel good!

Lost Sue right off the bat. She was listening to her mp3 player and I didn't want to intrude on that. She was really right behind me the whole race. The first 1/2 mile or so was the typical everyone sorting out their position. Sue and I mostly run at the same pace. She has got one heck of a kick at the end that I can't match if we race side by side. So I tried getting ahead of her at the beginning.

I did not know anything about the course, but was told it was all uphill to the turnaround and then of course, all downhill back. Well, as soon as we got on the main road, the course went downhill. LOL! I decided to try and make up time on the downhill because I seem to always slow on the up. After the first mile, the course did start up the hill to the turnaround. I felt very good running up this hill. It wasn't too steep and I passed a number of people.

Hit the turnaround and started stretching it out some on the downhill again. Wanted to keep my pace up because I knew I had to go uphill at the end. I felt VERY good in this section. Still passing people. Then the uphill started. This is the first time in a race that I started to feel a little like puking. I knew I was working pretty hard. Passed a few more people, turned the corner to the finish and ran as fast as I could. Which is never very fast. heehee! The puking feeling had left me at that point so I could just feel happy at the end. Turned and watched for Sue who finished less than a minute behind me. She is THE WOMAN! She has been training for a spring half mary and just finished her biggest mileage week to date and then ran this 5k. Hats off to her!
What would you do differently?:

I don't think I would change much of anything. I do want to do a race where I go out a little faster at the beginning, but I knew today was not the day due to my achilles issue. I really needed to run the first part of the race semi-conservatively to see how I felt. So I really am happy at how I did, especially the last mile which was half uphill and I did it in under 9 minutes.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking, walking, walking. Ate a donut. Drank water. Stretching, stretching, stretching. Stayed for the awards/doorprizes. Placed 3rd in my age group. Yay!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My achilles injury, relatively new to running, middle aged, uncoordinated, clueless as to how to actually run a race.

Event comments:

A new PR today!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy I could spit. (Whoever came up with that saying?)

Last updated: 2007-03-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:29 | 03.11 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/?
Overall: 0/?
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 9:17 Mile 2: 9:03 Mile 3: 8:17 Mile 0.1: 0:52
Course: Course started at Holden Arboretum. Very rural, very scenic area with woods, ponds, fields and streams to look at. Start was in the main drive and headed out to the main road for a very pretty out and back route. Ok, main road sounds busy with traffic. It's not. The arboretum is located on a back road in a rural part of the county.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-26 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: 10th Annual Strides of March 5k

2007-03-26 10:12 AM
in reply to: #736834

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: 10th Annual Strides of March 5k

WAY TO GO!

Great job.

You ran the race you wanted and got what you wanted out of it.

2007-03-26 10:14 AM
in reply to: #736834

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 10th Annual Strides of March 5k
Pretty fast race!  Nice to see a PR every now and then. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 10th Annual Strides of March 5k Rss Feed