The ING Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon
HOTF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 49m 21s
Overall Rank = 2534/4340
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 688/1022
Pre-race routine:

I spent the weekend at the RRCA certification course, so didn't get my usual routine in. I did get to bed at a reasonable hour, and had a (for me) really good pre-race routine. Got a good breakfast in, with coffee, and was done with food and fluids two hours before the race.
Event warmup:

I spent the hours before the race trying to be a bullfrog - sitting perfectly still, no energy expenditure. Happy again with this performance. The heat that hurt later sure felt nice in the morning - not a garbage bag or goodwill sweatshirt to be seen. Checked in with a few friends, and lined up halfway between the 4:30 and 5:00 groups.
Run
  • 4h 49m 21s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't sure what to expect, and decided that I would go out at 11 minutes and try to hold it. Of course, got excited, and decided I could do tens, slowed down and ended up doing average of 11's the 'hard way' with physically painful 12's and 13's at the end. It was very hot, and there were aid/hydration problems. I did bring my own salt tabs, but... For those of you out there who normally put your salt tabs in a film canister on the bike - DON'T ON THE RUN (at least if you run like a Buffalo like I do)! I went for my second tablet at 8 miles, and got broken capsules a cloud of white. Ah well, c'est la vie. The general lack of water left me feeling dehydrated, and the lack of powerade left me cramping. Somehow, though, it was fun anyway. I really enjoyed this run, and felt good even as I slowed down, and then run/walked the last few miles home. With the heat and the hills, I didn't feel a need to beat myself up. I also PR'ed, and climbed way up in the rankings compared to where I normally am.
What would you do differently?:

I did two 20 milers getting ready for this run, but I think at my pace I need a longer run, or need a 20 miler at a much slower pace. It's just not a good enough rehearsal of 'time on feet' for me. Also, as much as I hate the fuel belt, it sure would have been nice to have yesterday. Finally, I need to suck it up and carry some more food.
Post race
Warm down:

I did this race with TnT. This was definitely a mixed bag for me, but I can't complain about the post-race spread they had. I very, very slowly walked to the tent and then just grunted at follks as I downed everything there. Then went home and ate pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As I said before, I think I need a longer or slower long run than 20 at 12 to run 26 sub 11. Maybe next time. The hydration and salt loss definitely affected me, as I was cramping and blistering, which is pretty unusual for me.

Event comments:

The hydration/powerade fiasco was pretty inexcusable. Atlanta puts on the 55000 person Peachtree 10K in July, so there are plenty of people who know how to deliver hydration to a swarm of runners without running out or causing the kinds of cooler swarms we saw. Also, they really needed to do a better job with traffic awareness BEFORE race day. Drivers were truly furious to find closed roads, and cops were getting abused by both drivers and runners while trying to keep the peace. The neighborhood support was really excellent for an Atlanta race, and it was regular folks in the end that saved the day with salty snacks, hoses, water, ice and sponges, and a radio or two. I agree with the others who said that this was poor/average, but with potential to be a fun and challenging marathon.

Last updated: 2007-03-26 12:00 AM
Running
04:49:21 | 26.2 miles | 11m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 688/1022
Overall: 2534/4340
Performance: Good
1:03:09 10K 2:15:52 Half 3:30:34 20M (How's that for a positive split?)
Course: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=626754 Hill tour of Atlanta
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-03-26 12:59 PM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: ING Georgia Marathon

2007-03-26 1:08 PM
in reply to: #737206

User image

Master
Woodstock
Subject: RE: ING Georgia Marathon
Great job on the PR- especially with the tough course and lack of hydration. Congrats on a strong race!
2007-03-26 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Good report.
2007-03-26 4:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congrats on a strong race and PR. I ran into a similiar experience with feeling a bit invisible in the beginning and paying for it later on. I agree with your assessment of the race management, and hope they work all that stuff out so it's a great race to look forward to every year. For the first time in any of my marathon training, I actually did a marathon as a training run... I did the first one very slow and efficientally and it didn't impact my performance any at ING, so you may want to try something like that prior to your "A" marathon race.
2007-03-26 7:20 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Great race rept. and way to go on the PR! I had never really thought of 'time on feet' as a training metric - may have to give that some consideration.

Not much easy about that race so I hope you're feeling great from the accomplishment.

Regards,

c
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ING Georgia Marathon Rss Feed