General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Questions for USAT Officials? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-03-27 11:06 AM
in reply to: #738432

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: Questions for USAT Officials?
the bear - 2007-03-27 9:43 AM
hangloose - 2007-03-27 9:11 AM

If no music is the rule, will they be enforcing it?  If not, why bother having it as a rule? 

I don't think "no music" is a rule. The rule is "no headphones,"

ha / irs

But thanks for the answer.

2007-03-27 11:09 AM
in reply to: #738629

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
hangloose - 2007-03-27 11:06 AM

If no music is the rule, will they be enforcing it?  If not, why bother having it as a rule? 

ha / irs

Not really splitting hairs. See brian's answer about the boom box on the handlebars. And plenty of races have music, even bands, out on the course. No rule against it.

Is the headphone rule really not enforced at your triathlons?

Edited by the bear 2007-03-27 11:10 AM
2007-03-27 11:21 AM
in reply to: #737526

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

Flagrant disregard for the 'no headphone' rule down here.  Seen racers at Trilogy Races, Miami Olympic, and both the MiamiMan's I've volunteered at.

I just assume they're prepared to be out of the points.

2007-03-27 11:23 AM
in reply to: #737920

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
the bear - 2007-03-26 9:10 PM

mykle15 - 2007-03-26 8:57 PM I got a flat during a race last weekend; my second tri ever.  I pulled off the road, dismounted and my first impulse was to remove my helmet before commencing with the repair.  I immediately flinched at the thought of a possible DQ so I kept it on throughout.  I know the "helmet rule" seems to be the number one question when it comes to nitpickish rules...find out about that one if you can.   Looking forward to hearing your report... 

Yeah, that relates to my question as well, IMHO I see nothing in the letter or the spirit of the rules that indicates you cannot unbuckle your chinstrap and/or remove your helmet if you are off the bike. Some race directors (Keith Jordan at the upcoming Lonestar, for example, where my clinic is to take place) have a rule that says the chinstrap must be buckled before the bike is off the rack. My question would also be if USAT officials are supposed to enforce race directors' rules where they are more stringent than USAT's.

I also wondered this. I see this section that applies:

1.4 Rules Exceptions and Additions. For any particular event, a race director may request from USA Triathlon a specific exception or addition to these Rules. Any such request should be made with the consideration of the participant’s safety as the highest priority. All requests for Rule changes must be made in writing. All exceptions or additions to these Rules must be expressly approved in writing by the Executive Director of USA Triathlon and must be announced to all participants prior to the event.

So, does that mean I have some recourse? If I take off my helmet in transition, after dismounting, and am disqualified I should be able to ask if the race director got some kind of special permission for this and it better have been in my race packet.
2007-03-27 11:58 AM
in reply to: #737526

Extreme Veteran
I too don't see having to have your helmet on before unracking the bike a problem. As was said above how would you strap the helmet on AFTER unracking your bike.

What I would like to know is what about unbukling and taking the helmet off as you run with your bike TO your bike rack.

2007-03-27 12:37 PM
in reply to: #738636

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
the bear - 2007-03-27 11:09 AM
hangloose - 2007-03-27 11:06 AM

ha / irs

Not really splitting hairs. See brian's answer about the boom box on the handlebars. And plenty of races have music, even bands, out on the course. No rule against it.

Is the headphone rule really not enforced at your triathlons?

Limited experience, but yes, at the two tris I did last summer I saw people wearing headphones during the run.  (how presumptuous of me to assume that all reading and posting would understand this is what I meant by "music"!) Nothing was done about it that I saw.  Now, maybe they were later disqualified, I was too wrapped up in my own issues to follow it that closely.  But it bothers me to see them out there at all since it is such a visible and blatant violation of the rules. 

2007-03-27 12:59 PM
in reply to: #738810

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

Limited experience, but yes, at the two tris I did last summer I saw people wearing headphones during the run.  (how presumptuous of me to assume that all reading and posting would understand this is what I meant by "music"!) Nothing was done about it that I saw.  Now, maybe they were later disqualified, I was too wrapped up in my own issues to follow it that closely.  But it bothers me to see them out there at all since it is such a visible and blatant violation of the rules. 

It's my 2-cents, but for every person happy that the bear and I (and others) are looking to become officials, there will be an equal or more number that will be unhappy when rule enforcement starts to become more prevalent as more officials are graduated out to the course.  JLDiCarlo mentions in her Race Report from last weekend that she was bothered by the lack of USAT Officials at her Olympic.  There seems to be a fine line between racers who want a level, competitive field and those that want to pay their money and run their race.  Should be interesting going forward and will probably lead to some interesting debates.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Questions for USAT Officials? Rss Feed  

of 2