Red Hills Triathlon
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 41s
Overall Rank = 129/300
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 18/29
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:30 and ate a cliff bar, banana, and a half bagel with pb. I got to the race site about an hour and 15 minutes before the race which was plenty of time.
Event warmup:

I just jogged for about 5 minutes then did a very small warmup in the lake.
Swim
  • 10m 55s
  • 581 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

At the start I got kicked 3-4 times, it was my first open water swim so it was an adventure. I wasnt apprehensive or anything I just need practice at navigating and breathing. Worst part was about 100 yards from the finish I gulped a bunch of lake water which came up later. I also didnt swim with a wetsuit so I was a little cold.
What would you do differently?:

Practice open water swims more. Wasnt afraid of it I just wasnt used to not having a wall or black line at the bottom. I could have defiantly been much stronger but it was ok for the first time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

It was my first transition ever didnt really practice as this race basically was my practice. Good news is I was slow so there is room for improvement. Bad news is I dont really know why I was slow. No wet suit so I think I should have been faster. I guess being really dizzy didnt help.

Probably not wear socks, they took forever to get on.
Bike
  • 54m 14s
  • 16 miles
  • 17.70 mile/hr
Comments:

The lake water I gulped at the end of the swim came up with a little bit of my breakfast about 2 miles into the bike. I was a little cold and dizzy the first 4-5 miles. I started out way to slow. The second half of the race only one person passed me and I passed about 10 people.

Maybe taken a little longer to get my bearings in t1 I was very dizzy. I should have defiantly gone a lot harder. I left atleast 3-4 minutes out there because of inexperience pacing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

I think for a short race it would be better to have the shoes already laced and just slip them on, it took me way to long to tie my shoes.

See above
Run
  • 26m 35s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I hadnt been able to run much the past two weeks because of a sore arch. I think the fact that it was a race allowed me to not really feel the arch but its sore. I was too conservative again on the run, I had no idea what to expect on the course so I was a little uneasy with the different surface changes.

The last two miles I defiantly could have run a lot harder. I for some reason didnt switch to race mode in my head I just kind of treated the run like a regular 3 mile training run. I had way to much left at the finish. I told my friends at the finish that I felt like I could do it all again right then. My legs were a little sore an hour or so later but I wasnt really fatigued.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around a little and had a free massage they were offering. That was nice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First open water swim, being dizzy at t1/beginning of bike, inexperience pacing, for some reason didnt mentally get into race mode during the run.

Event comments:

It was my first but it was a great race, not once did I think man they should have this or done this differently. Small race which was nice for my first, I will defiantly be racing here next year and plan to take some considerable time off my time...

Last updated: 2007-03-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:55 | 581 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/29
Overall: 0/300
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:29
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:54:14 | 16 miles | 17.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/29
Wind: Little
Course: A big rectangle, it was basically all hills. They were small hills but pretty steep.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:26:35 | 03.1 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/29
Course: Out and back on a road with a trail loop connecting the out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-03-26 3:58 PM

User image

Tallahassee
Subject: Red Hills Triathlon

2007-03-26 6:17 PM
in reply to: #737557

User image

Veteran
Auburn, Alabama
Subject: RE: Red Hills Triathlon
Congrats dude. That's great for your first race- nowhere to go but up the leader-board. I will say one thing about the run: SAND SUCKS.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Red Hills Triathlon Rss Feed