Around the Bay Road Race
2C / 36F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 55m 45s
Overall Rank = 2435/4368
Age Group = Men 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 268/357
Pre-race routine:

Other than a breakfast of oatmeal, a peanut butter sandwhich and a banana, I didn't do anything special. I was very surprised at how calm and relaxed I was feeling.
Event warmup:

Very quick 2 minute jog just to make sure that everything was working okay. Yup, legs still worked.
Run
  • 2h 55m 45s
  • 30 kms
  • 05m 52s  min/km
Comments:

The first 10K were easy. Nice and flat. Not the nicest looking part of town but it was okay. Between 12K and 16K it was a little tougher going. This is the point where you're not exhausted but you sort of think "Okay, that was fun. Let's rest now." Once we reached 18K, the terrain started turning hilly. Up and down. Up and down. Not big hills, just short rolling ones. The final hill though is a tough one. I winds switchback style up the mountain (well, what we 'mountains'). I had to walk that. At this point, I was tired and even walking up the last hill, my heart rate was in Z2. After the last climb, it was all flat again so it was all good except for the pain my feet were experiencing.

Throughout the run I sometimes found my mind thinking about the tiredness but as soon as I recognized my negative thoughts I worked hard at pushing through them. I started thinking about positive things, about how I was still aerobic, at how my legs should be like pistons and keep going, about technique, running tall, keeping my core strong, about relaxing my neck, shoulders, arms, and any other body parts that I didn't need. I found this helped a lot especially through the last couple of kilometers.
What would you do differently?:

Throughout the run, I consumed a gel every 40 minutes and a cup of water and Gatorade at every aid station. I think this worked for me quite well but I did have two pee breaks. I'm wondering if that means that I was taking too much liquid.
Post race
Warm down:

Some light stretching. My feet and groin were hurting and I would have really loved a massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The balls of my feet, arches and toes were really hurting. One of the toes on my right food kept hitting the front/side of my shoe and I thought that for sure I was going to have a blackened toenail by the time I was done. Luckily that's not the case but it's pretty bruised.

You know I never really believed in the 'lifespan' of a running shoe but I have about 550km on my ASIC Foundations (which I absolutely love) but I think it may be time for a new pair as I'm thinking that they're not providing the same level of support and cushioning that they used to.

Equipment not withstanding, starting my LSD runns earlier in the season, as opposed to 3 weekends before the race, would have been a good thing. My next race is a half marathon in about a month and a half. I'll continue to do my LSD runs but really focus on building up some speed.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-03-26 12:00 AM
Running
02:55:45 | 30 kms | 05m 52s  min/km
Age Group: 268/357
Overall: 357/4368
Performance: Good
Course: A link to the course map can be found here - http://www.aroundthebayroadrace.com/images/30k/30kmaphtml.jpg
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-26 8:33 PM

User image

Expert
Toronto
Subject: Around the Bay 30k

2007-04-07 9:09 PM
in reply to: #737881

User image

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button
Subject: RE: Around the Bay 30k
Congrats on a great race. Your race season is really kicking in style! Nice work, thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see your tri report
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Around the Bay 30k Rss Feed