General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who out there is missing some of their meniscus and can still run w/o pain? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2019-01-30 10:32 AM
in reply to: #740363

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2019-01-30 2:13 PM
in reply to: 0

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Who out there is missing some of their meniscus and can still run w/o pain?

Originally posted by willow

Recovering from 30% of my meniscus being removed...will be ready to try running in a couple of more weeks.

Please tell me you are missing lots of your meniscus and can run without pain or problems. (If you can't- please don't tell me...just kidding)

Thanks!

I blew out both knees at a high school regional wrestling tournament in 1995.  In 1997 I had reconstructive surgery on the right knee after a second blow out to that knee in a wresting tournament.  My surgeon was quite impresses with how much of the meniscus pad I had torn.  He said it was the worst he had seen in around 350 surgeries.   So...wrestling was hard on my knees.  My brother who is a year behind me in school did two full Ironman races in 2002.  At that time I didn't think that I would ever be able to do a Triathlon because I didn't think my knees could take the cycling. Fortunately I was wrong.   The main concern with my knees were the ligaments holding the knee together.  My surgeon said that sometimes people that are young and athletic develop muscle that support the knee to where even if they have torn ligaments and other damage they fool the tests that the physicians do to determine if the knee has torn ligaments or not.  When I started to cycle I had a lot of knee pain and issues,  for the first 2-3 months but I stuck with it treating it like I did my rehabilitation after my knee surgery.  I worked though it and now have developed the muscles to support my knee in cycling and don't have any pain or troubles.  Losing cartilage is a different thing.  Yes, I torn my knee up really bad, but it was repaired.  My surgeon feared that I would get scar tissue from the repair that would make my knee pop and cause problems, but It seems to work just fine for me.  I think I have trained my knee to adjust to the demands for running.  I run in straight line and am fine.  If I were to do a lot of pivots and side to side motions my knee would not be trained to those motions and have problems.  There is life after knee surgery.  If running is causing damage to you knee you need to stop.  If you are not causing damage you can work through the discomfort and pain and train/strengthen your knee to where you can run pain free and unrestricted.  Being active after knee surgery is the best medicine.   

Edited by BlueBoy26 2019-01-30 2:16 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who out there is missing some of their meniscus and can still run w/o pain? Rss Feed  

of 2