General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Race or Not to Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-30 2:12 PM

New user
california
Subject: To Race or Not to Race
I Started my training in Febuary and I'm a big guy, 5'5" 225lbs. My August sucked, to much vacation not enough training. I feel really good when I do train. I just don't want to finish my sprint I want to feel good when I finish. Should I wait until next year and lose more weight or should I just try a tri? I have set new personal goals because I want to be acountable for my training.

2004-08-30 2:31 PM
in reply to: #55320

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: RE: To Race or Not to Race
I looked at your logs and I don't think your weight is as much of a problem as is the amount of training you're doing. I see that you're having trouble fitting the workouts in. Have you been able to find more time?

Are there any tris later this year that you could do? If you can find a tri a few months out (late October?), you might have enough time to catch up.

Also, will you be able to get back into swimming?

The tri I did was a relatively short sprint (400 yd swim, 12 mi bike, 3.1 mi run) and it took me nearly 1.5 hrs. If you can get to the point where you can do the full distance of all of the legs (on different days) and can make it through a brick (have the distances maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of what it'll be in the tri), I think you can complete a sprint and feel relatively good.

I definitely agree that you should set goals and a late season tri may work. Also, you could shoot for a 5k before that (maybe a month before that) so you have a short term goal to work towards.

Above all, though, I think your biggest goal should be to really look over your daily schedule and find time for regular workouts. Once you achieve that, the rest will be a lot easier.

Best of luck!
2004-08-30 5:09 PM
in reply to: #55320

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: To Race or Not to Race

i second whit...i was gonna suggest a 5k if nothing...u may surprise yourself though with a sprint and u will be very glad you did it...

if one keeps waiting for that 'perfect' moment of training bliss, one would never sign up.  i think i'm on my 10th rendition of a training plan this year...whatever plan i did have is out the door.

your running has been consistent enough...u had a good july...u wont die on the bike methinks...GO FOR IT!...errr...but just make sure u can swim the length.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Race or Not to Race Rss Feed