General Discussion Race Reports! » Duluth Clinic Fitness & Therapy Center Indoor Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Duluth Clinic Fitness & Therapy Center Indoor Tri - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log
Duluth, Minnesota
United States
28F / -2C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 40m
Overall Rank = 15/34
Age Group = all women
Age Group Rank = 4/18
Pre-race routine:

drove up to duluth during an ICE STORM! maybe not the best idea, but we agreed as a family before we even left that we might have to turn around and come back home, or stop and stay at a hotel. the girls really wanted to go to grandma's, and malte really wanted to race. they were all on board for plan B, so off we went. about 20 mins south of duluth traffic stopped to about 10 mph on the freeway. saw the results of several accidents. we hung out a couple miles behind the salt truck and went slowly. arrived later than planned, but intact. my mom had put salt down all over the driveway and sidewalk, because it had about a 1/2 inch of ice accumulation. she decided the salt wasn't enough, so she also put down CLUMPING cat litter. hee hee.

the girls and i crashed on the floor of the living room in sleeping bags, since half the house is being remodeled right now. slept great. it was fun having our own little slumer party. fiona was up at 6am, our little ray of sunshine...so we were up too. had some coffee, oatmeal w/ walnuts, currants, and honey...and then off we went.
Event warmup:

walked around the fitness center with malte and my mom to figure out where everything was (part of the fitness center is also being remodelled). once in the pool, i did a couple laps to warm up.
Swim
  • 30m
  • 1637 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

about 1 minute before we started, NO MALTE! i was about to hop out of the pool to find him when he showed up. i think this distance is right. its a 25 meter pool, and i did 30 laps. everyone else was alternating breast stroke and crawl, so i lapped everyone 5-6 times. 'wow, this is what it must feel like to be kelly.' hee hee. oh, and i think i had a reliable lap counter this year, unlike the infamous schmuck lap counter of 2005.
What would you do differently?:

nothing. this was a good swim for me, considering i've been spending a majority of my pool time the last few weeks doing pulling. my foot felt just fine during the swim.
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

headed up to the bike before my mom, because she was still half dressed and i wanted to get the bike ready. as it was, i was almost late and barely got the seat adjusted when the horn went off. my mom was a couple minutes late.
Bike
  • 30m
  • 14.32 miles
  • 28.64 mile/hr
Comments:

okay okay, before anyone freaks out about my 29 mph bike split. really, this bikes were INSANE. they were the polar opposite of my experience at tri-u-mah. at TUM, i had to STAND on the pedals, use all the force i had, got my HR through the roof, and didn't go over 18 mph. at this race, i got my work out from trying to control the damn bike. if i got it over 35 mph, i felt like it was going to tear my legs right out at the knees. since my foot is still healing, i didn't want to hurt myself trying to get it up to 40 mph (which i think i could have done and maintained, if my foot was okay...that's how wacky this bikes were). i also got off the bike TWICE to adjust the saddle height and position, since my knees and crotch were hurting after 10 minutes. AND i don't know my cadence, but i'm sure it was over 100 the entire time. this was a major core strength work out, since i had to use that strength to keep my body still while holding a candence this high. believe it or not, i'm actually disappointed with this bike. i didn't feel like i spent 30 minutes CYCLING and using the skills and strength i know i have as a cyclist, i felt like i spent 30 minutes manipulating and attempting to control a freak contraption.

learn how to ride a spin bike?
Transition 2
  • 05m
Run
  • 30m
  • 2.34 miles
  • 12m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

this was really hard. i SOOOOO wanted to run!!! i walked at a quick pace most of the time, but i admit - I WAS WEAK! i ran for about 3 minutes midway through, and ran the last 3 minutes. my foot felt fine, but i didn't want to push my luck either. i still have 2 more weeks of 'no running' orders. i got really bored and a little cold, so there's my excuse.

nothing. i think walking most was what i should have done for the sake of my healing foot, but my spirit needed me to run a bit. corny, maybe...but true.
Post race
Warm down:

took a shower, got dressed. we found malte, got some snacks, etc, then drove back to my mom's.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

sprained foot, wacky spin bike (well, i guess technically that HELPED me perform faster, but it still wasn't biking as i know it).

Event comments:

this was a lot of fun, because i was doing it with my mom. it was also fun watching malte do his first triathlon. he wants to do a 'real' one now :)

overall distance: 17.59...so a new indoor tri PR, despite the lame foot.

top guy got S: 1.1 miles, B: 16.78 (yea, 34 mph. my a$$!), and R: 5.22. top bike overall was 17.72 (35+ mph)

Last updated: 2007-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:00 | 1637 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/18
Overall: 7/34
Performance: Good
Suit: tyr
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:00 | 14.32 miles | 28.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 16/34
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence: 120
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:00 | 02.34 miles | 12m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/18
Overall: 29/34
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-31 12:49 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: Duluth Clinic Fitness & Therapy Center Indoor Tri

2007-04-01 7:27 AM
in reply to: #743957

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Subject: RE: Duluth Clinic Fitness & Therapy Center Indoor Tri
Nice job!  I'm glad i read the report before I gave you crap on the 29 mph ave   I'm also glad the foot felt fine - even though you ran.  As I read your run report I thought "welcome to my world:
2007-04-01 8:32 AM
in reply to: #744283

User image

molto veloce mama
yea, i loathed those bikes for the exact opposite reason i loathed the bike i had at tri-u-mah. oh well. bottom line: i enjoy more and am better at riding REAL bikes OUTSIDE!

i actually though of you when i was walking, thinking 'how does steve walk SOOOO fast????' i was only able to walk comfortably up to about 4.4 mph, after that, it felt wierd. (13.5 mm). i have much admiration for your skills at speed walking.
2007-04-01 5:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montana

nice job Autumn!

Way to be good to your foot too...it'll thank ya later.

Hope you had a good drive home.

A

2007-04-02 1:48 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Nice racin', Autumn! 

28.7 mph?!?! I love it! Seriously, we should all swear off tris that involve exercycles. Seems that the reaction to the distance every time is "xx.x mph my a$$!"

Again, nice race other than the wacky bike and the running.

2007-04-03 10:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
nice going..  polar opposites huh... man.. those spinnning bike are sooo inconsistent in aint even funny ...  nothing beats the real thing I guess.... kicking a$$ in the pool rocks.. i wish i knew that feeling.. nice going...  almost SPRING !!!!

2007-04-04 2:31 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Great job last weekend Autumn

You really cranked the swim. FWIW: You did .93 Miles in 30 minutes. (That is Oly Distance) You were not that many laps behind the leader.

The spin bikes seem crazy but everyone had to deal with the same challenge so your performance compared to others is what counts in the standings.

What is most amazing is that you walked almost the whole run and still placed really high in the standings. (I guess Gallow-Walking does work after all )

I bet had you been able to run it, you would have taken your AG for sure.

Oh, and glad that the foot held up through your race and did not give you trouble.

Good On Ya
2007-04-04 6:08 PM

User image

New user

Hey Autumn, how did you enter the data on this race? I can't find it to post my times etc. I really do enjoy doing these with you and probably would be a slug if you weren't there encouraging me. I just picked up the race results and realized that if I had read the race instructions prior to the race instead of after, I probably would have come in 7th among the 18 women instead of 8th!!! I didn't realize that they calculated partial laps and so when I only had 30 sec. left, I stopped! Oh well, not bad for an old fart!
2007-04-06 11:22 AM
in reply to: #749434

User image

molto veloce mama
yea, mom...if you weren't doing tris, you'd be a 'slug' out hiking for 2 hours in the snow every day hee hee.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duluth Clinic Fitness & Therapy Center Indoor Tri Rss Feed