General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 56s
Overall Rank = 91/722
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/31
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 am, after sleeping very little. I was far more nervious about this race than I had expected. I think it had to do with a bad OWS experience last weekend (uncontrollable heartrate and breathing, chest tightness in wetsuit).

Downed two blueberry muffins and Gatorade. Left the hotel at 5 am. Ate GU about 30 min before the race start.
Event warmup:

Got in the water to get used to the water temperature and my new wetsuit. Warmed up lightly during 10 or 15 minutes. I liked the new wetsuit (not too tight, and I liked the lack of sleeves).
Swim
  • 10m 7s
  • 650 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Given that this was my first triathlon with OWS, my strategy was to just keep an easy steady pace, not allowing my heartrate or breathing get out of control.

I started at the front-middle of the wave, not so much because I wanted to, but because nobody else seemed to want to be there. I just tried to keep a steady pace. While there were a 100 or so people in the wave, I didn't experience the washing machine effect. I tried drafting a couple of time, but it was faster just to pass them...

The nice surprise was that I didn't have any problems with sighting, which I hadn't practiced enough. My last couple of OWS practices I didnt go very straight... This time I did take a forward look fairly frequently, using toward a large boat as a guide. I think my new, better fitting wetsuit, made this easier.

I was very pleased with the swim, which I'm sure was over the 480M as published.

What would you do differently?:

Unzip the wetsuit between warmup and wave start. My chest started feeling a bit tight which worried me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

This race had wetsuit strippers. Nice!

Unfortunately, when I got to my bike I saw that someone had knocked my left shoe off the pedal (maybe they had knocked over the bike?), and broke the rubber band that held it in position. So I ended up running out of transition with the right shoe clipped in and positioned correctly, and the left shoe in my hand! After leaving the trasition area, I leaned the bike against a support, put on my shoe, then took off on the bike. My time lost here cost me one place in my AG. I was 5th of 31 in this transition, but the greater time lost was actually just outside of transition and is reflected in the bike time.

Not sure how to avoid this problem.
Bike
  • 39m 28s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 19.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I passed more people than I got passed by, which is a huge improvement from my first triathlon. I kept the cadence between 95 and 100 most of the way, which felt comfortable. I thought maybe I could get more speed at a lower cadence, but was worried about how it would affect the run (which is where I have the most trouble).

There was a light wind, but I don't worry about things like this which affect everyone equally. I just stayed in aeroposition whole ride and pedaled!

Ate a GU after the half-way turnaround.

Maybe go faster. In retrospect, I think I didn't push myself hard enough.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Got off the bike running, and all seemed good. 5th of 31 in T2.

Not much. I felt good about this one.
Run
  • 24m 23s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a stomach cramp from the get go, which never went away. I'm not sure of the cause. My legs felt fatigued the first half mile or so, but seemed to get better afterwards. I kept a slow, steady pace (or so I thought) and picked up the pace a bit the last mile or so.

I'm a pretty slow runner to start, and figured I was running at about a 10 min/mile pace. My breathing was somewhat hard, and at first I was concentrating on taking it easy enough so I could finish without walking. I was very surprised to see that I was at almost an 8 min/mile pace, which is fast for me!

I need to figure out what causes these stomach cramps. I don't get them when I workout, but seem to get them on the run in races.
Post race
Warm down:

None.

Event comments:

I was actually quite pleased and pleasantly surprised with my results! In my first tri about six months ago I was 24 of 27 in my AG, and 160 of 220 overall. Today was my second tri, and showed huge improvement!

I thought this was a well organized, professionally run race. Unfortunately heavy rain made the post race stuff fairly miserable, but I guess you can't control the weather!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-11-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:07 | 650 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/31
Overall: 38/722
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue70 Reaction Longjohn
Course: Long and straight parallel to shore, then one turn to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:39:28 | 12.5 miles | 19.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/31
Overall: 129/722
Wind: Some
Course: Straight and flat out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:23 | 03 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/31
Overall: 212/722
Course: Winding course through Moody Garden complex. Quite flat.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-03-31 11:11 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint

2007-03-31 11:25 PM
in reply to: #744227

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint
congratulations on a very well run race.  you made huge improvements between race 1 and race 2, keep it up and see what you can do in number 3!  too bad about the shoe thing, when you get into the top 10 in your age group those numbers really matter.  just imagine if it had been 3/4 instead of 7/8.  great job!
2007-04-01 5:12 AM

User image

Expert
Really nice job and great improvement
2007-04-01 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Great overall race. You had a monster improvement from your first race. I guess the nerves about the swim had a positive effect, 2nd in your AG.
2007-04-01 9:41 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

I got excited just reading your race report!  Good job, isn't that satisfying when you feel you performed to your full potential (in spite of an x factor like your bike shoe issue)?

Congrats!

2007-04-01 5:44 PM

User image

Oakville, ON
Great race! I am sure we have seen eachother at it looks like you prob cruised by me on the ride!

Great to hear of your improvements as well as you conquering the OWS!

Congratulations on a great race!

I am impressed by your total effort, but I am reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally impressed with your transition skills! WOW!

Edited by jkvandy 2007-04-01 5:45 PM

2007-04-01 5:57 PM

User image

Master
Sachse
Great job!

Kenny
2007-04-01 7:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

Exellent race!    Congrats!  Great paces and your T2 time was impressive!

2007-04-02 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Thanks for all the positive comments!  As a side note, the RD has since modified the distance of the swim, from original 480M to an actual 550M (about 595 yards).  I haven't been able to modify this on my report, but it does bring my swim pace down to 1:41 per 100 yards, which is a bit better than on the report. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed