General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 16m 36s
Overall Rank = 314/499
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 12/28
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6 to be at the race site by 6:30 (definitely worth it to stay in a hotel nearby). Ate a couple of bites of a Clif bar and a couple of Clif shot bloks, and sipped Gatorade until I left the transition area for the swim start. Should probably have eaten more, as I got hungry even before my wave went off.
Event warmup:

Brief run (to the car and back), and a bit of a swim prior to the start. A fair bit of stretching. I had an hour between when I needed to be out of the transition area and when my wave started, so I didn't really feel like a run while setting up was going to be useful.
Swim
  • 22m 17s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out steady, and was able to maintain my pace for pretty much the whole swim. No stopping to do breaststroke or look around a bit--just swam and sighted and swam and sighted the whole way. Probably could have gone faster, but my pacing was much better than it has been in the past.
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Could have been faster, but bike gloves are hard to get on with wet hands.
What would you do differently?:

Practice! And probably run over the transition in my head as I'm nearing the end of the swim. I think I was a bit disoriented and didn't have a clear idea of what I was doing (even though I've done this a few times before), and that cost me some time.
Bike
  • 1h 48m 8s
  • 28 miles
  • 15.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Freakin' pedal crank came CLEAN OFF about 7 miles into the ride. Started coming loose and about 30 seconds later it was dangling from my shoe. And since the nut was missing, there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. Fortunately the support car (with extra bikes!) was nearby and got to me pretty quickly. The guy took one look at the crank in my hand, said "ohh... that's not good," and took down the last extra bike he had on his rack--which was just my size! He had some trouble getting my pedals off my bike, but put them on the other bike and we adjusted the seat. He gave me a quick explanation of how the shifters worked (they were different from mine), and then he gave me a push and away I went. I didn't keep track of the lost time (whoops), but I estimate that I lost at least 10 minutes. Over the rest of the ride I discovered that a) I MUCH prefer my seat (I was hurting toward the end), and b) carbon fiber forks really do dampen vibrations from rough road (the replacement bike didn't have a carbon fork, so my hands were a little jarred by the end).

There was also MASSIVE headwind (est. 20mph) on the first half of the ride. Before my bike broke down, I was averaging something like 12.5-13mph. And this was a flat course!!! It was brutal. I dropped down onto the drop bars, though, and was able to go faster that way (oddly enough, I didn't see anyone else doing that--no one who had a plain road bike sans aero bars was trying to go aerodynamic). When I hit the turnaround, though...!!! All of a sudden I was flying. It was great. Made amazing time on the way back, and even with the time I lost due to mechanical problems, ended up in a great position to make my overall time goal.

Check the tightness of my crank nuts before I ride!
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Pretty fast transition. Legs were a little wobbly running with the bike, but I was fine. Easy switch from bike shoes to running shoes, and I put my race belt on as I was running, so I didn't have to wait for that.

Eventually I'll get bold enough to unfasten my shoes while I'm still on the bike, so that I can take my feet out as I'm riding... but not yet.
Run
  • 1h 01m 58s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Fortunately the headwind on the bike was in the first half, so on the second half I didn't have to push very hard. Legs started off on the run feeling pretty good. Settled into a comfortable, sustainable pace early on and kept at it the whole way. I wouldn't be surprised if I slowed around mile 5, but around mile 6 I picked up the pace a bit, and for the last few hundred yards I went hard. Didn't stop to stretch at all, and only walked while I was drinking at the aid stations (only a few seconds at a time). Very pleased with that, given that this was the longest run I've ever done. Legs felt good the whole time: nothing crying out to be stretched, and my funny leg/groin thing didn't tweak at all (yay!). There were several times when I did feel pretty fatigued, but if I ate some gel or drank some water/gatorade I felt much better. I'm pleased that I averaged faster than 10min/mile. Oh, and I think I might have finally found the right lace tension in my shoes--no foot/toe numbness at all!

Not much! Maybe go a bit faster, but probably not much faster until I improve my running base.
Post race
Warm down:

Recovered VERY quickly. Waited a few minutes to eat, but I was feeling good again very, very quickly. This is probably one of the most encouraging aspects of my performance: I felt fine after just a few minutes! Of course, I started to feel tired (and stupid) later in the day, but immediately after the race I felt great.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Um. Broken crank! Headwind!

Event comments:

I'm going to be SO READY for Big Kahuna come September. It's going to be awesome. I wanted to see how this race went, and based on that, decide whether or not I thought it was realistic to do Big Kahuna. I will definitely be ready for a HIM in five months' time, no question about it. I might even be ready enough to do the HIM and then do the Chicago Marathon a month later. Maybe.

Last updated: 2007-03-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:17 | 1056 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 197/499
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri suit (no wetsuit)
Course: Trapezoidal course: out, sharp left, straight for a while, left again into the shore.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:48:08 | 28 miles | 15.54 mile/hr
Overall: 356/499
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Dirty! Lots of gravel and debris on the road. Saw LOTS of people with flats (and indeed, I got a flat last week on the practice ride). Fortunately I steered clear of the debris and came away flat-free. Wasn't entirely problem-free, though...
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:01:58 | 06.5 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Overall: 298/499
Performance: Good
Course: Confusing. Lots of mini out-and-back bits, irregularly placed mile markers (and aid stations), etc. Bit of hilliness, but not much. There was also a lot of concrete, which sucked. There was also some strong headwind on parts of the course (which, of course, turned into tailwind on the way back).
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-04-01 5:00 PM

User image

Mountain View, CA
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter

2007-04-01 5:07 PM
in reply to: #744633

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter

Great job!

I have to admit, having the support guys hand you off a new dance like that is... kinda cool.    Nice race.

2007-04-01 6:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

Getting the "last" extra dance was SWEET!  Glad it worked out for you...the whole crank falling off can't be good.

Congrats on your race!   

2007-04-01 7:50 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-04-01 8:10 PM

Veteran
Houston

Not that losing a crank is funny, but it helps me to know that the mishaps I've had in my races aren't just happening to me.

Way to finish it out and I'm adding this one for next year. Sounds like a blast and is only 2 hrs away.

2007-04-01 8:29 PM

Veteran

ALL THREE events have been changed by a hacker...

shop = s-w-i-m

skip = r-u-n

dance = b-i-k-e

Good idea Celeste using the dashes!!! You are so clever!

2007-04-01 10:17 PM

Oakville, ON
GREAT JOB OUT THERE!

Unreal story aobut the dance issues... atleast I am not alone. Mavic saved me too!

I must have missed your race report from the beer ride!

Congrats again!
2007-04-01 10:28 PM

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I think if I lost my crank like that I would have given it up as not my day.

Way to go!

2007-04-01 11:18 PM

Houston, TX
thats where those one legged spin drills come in handy, you could have finished with one leg!  well, maybe not.  really cool Mavic was there.  kinda like the TDF with all that support out there.  great race!  way to pace yourself.  you'll be ready for your half iron!
2007-04-02 8:27 AM

Expert
Houston, TX
I think we met you and didn't even know you were from BT! We were standing talking to you before the swim start and you were racked right next to my wife Kylie (kriley on BT) she was wearing the orange Javelin uniform! Great job on the race despite having your crank fall off!
2007-04-02 11:46 PM

Expert
Wylie, TX
Great job fighting through the bike issue.

2007-04-03 2:01 PM

Houston, TX
Great race! I'm sorry about the crank, but I am glad that Mavic got to you so quickly!You will definately be ready for your HIM in the fall! I can't wait to see how you do
2007-04-06 6:29 PM

Master
Nice job on the race!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed