United States
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 84/92
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/18
Pre-race routine:

Ate sushi last night for my pre-race meal. I did not get a lot of sleep becuase the kids were up coughing all night. When I woke up this morning I had a good mind of not going - thinking to myself "I have no place here, i cannot bike and run as well as tho others, etc." I then wiped the lsepe out of my eyes nd begana dringking a lot of water.
Event warmup:

I picked up my packet and set up my transition area. I looked around and noticed a lot of athletes in really great shape. Again, the thoughts of "What am I doing here?" came into my mind. I really enjoyed the atmosphere at this race - the people were super frriendly and everyone was clapping and cheering while the race director made announcements.
Swim
  • 26m 27s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

My goggle began to fog around 300m in and i had trouble sighting back to the beach because the sun was in my eues with the clouded lens. I had to swim on my back and wipe them out to see again. That happened both laps.
What would you do differently?:

Get saliva on my lenses.
Transition 1
  • 04m 6s
Comments:

My transition times are deplorable. I had to get my socks on, put on my MTP shoes, put on my camelback, shirt, gloves, etc. I was 2 minutes too long in there.

Practice transitions
Bike
  • 1h 45m 4s
  • 10 miles
  • 5.71 mile/hr
Comments:

This was what i was most concerned about before the race. I felt really good after the swim and as I rode toward the trailhead, I had a conversation with a woman who said she was really nervous about the bike too. That made me feel more comfortable. I did so much better than i though i would. I was passed several times but i also passed some people as well. One woman passed me and introduced herself on the way"What 's your name?" ""OWen" "Nice to meet you - I'm Barbie" "Go get'em Barbie" I really like the comaraderie at this race. I did a good portio of the bike with a woman who was much more fit tha i, and i got out of T2 about 3 minutes ahead of her (She passed me on the run after one mile) whihc also made me feel more confident. I fel great about my bike effort, although I left it all on the bike course.

Save some energy for the run or train more and get more stamina so when i get to the run i have some gas left
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

Another poor job trasitioning. Too much time changing and deciding whether or not to wear my shorts or jut go with the suit. I put on the shorts which was a poor decision.

Practicie transitions and not put on my shorts.
Run
  • 1h 11m 29s
  • 5 miles
  • 14m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I was gassed when I started the run. I did not make it until.8miles before i had to walk. I then had a hydration issue and mentally i was putting out little exertion. I even started making excuses on the run like "I do not want to turn an ankle - so i can come back and run another day" It was rather pathetic. I really need to work on my running - it has become my extreme weakness. The trails were beautiful though. I really enjoy the fresh air and nature and solitude of the trail running.

I would have drank more water in T2. The first station only had gatorade and i was parched by that point and the gatorade did not help (on top of all the slatwater i swallowed)

As always - train more
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a ton of water, and chatted with some of the other competitors i had spoken to at the start of the race and during the race. Then, I packed up my gear and took off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Physical capability, as well as my mental effort on the run. My mind tells me it is ok to quit and walk when i could still run.

Event comments:

I would love to do a lot of xTERRA but it requires so much travel.

Last updated: 2007-01-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:27 | 1000 meters | 02m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 17/18
Overall: 74/92
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: A rectangular 500 meter course which was two laps. We started at point A and swam the 500 then had to run on the beach around 100m back to point A then did the swim again. Nice clear water even though it was salt water.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:06
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:45:04 | 10 miles | 5.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/18
Overall: 704/92
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: A very technical 10 mile course. There were a lot of steep climbs, drops, narrow elevated paths, bridges, logs, mounds, you name it. Very exciting course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:11:29 | 05 miles | 14m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/18
Overall: 85/92
Performance: Below average
Course: Again technical trail run with some ares of straight and flat. After .8 miles we had to swim across 25m river, then again at 1.6miles -where there was a rope that you could pull yourself across on, then again at 4.5 miles a 15m swim. Finished across a beach into the finish
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-01 8:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Estero, FL
Subject: XTERRA Miami

2007-04-02 9:21 AM
in reply to: #744852

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: XTERRA Miami
Holy Crap  what a race..what are you..an Army Ranger??  Reading your RR..it sounds like you guys invaded some tropical nation.  Awesome job..and you paid your race fees..you have as much right being there as anyone else!!!  Nice job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Miami Rss Feed