United States
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 47s
Overall Rank = 50/390
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/51
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5 am. Did some minor stretching to shake off the night and then drove into the city. I had some oatmeal, a banana and a 1/2 a cup of coffee. I figured that was a pretty good base to do the race on.
Event warmup:

We rode to the start line from CPW and 66th. Gave us a little warm-up. Once there, I just got my number and laid out my stuff.

Run
  • 14m 29s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Had a lot of big hills in my training so this wasn't an issue. What was, however, was starting too far back in the pack. It takes a lot of energy and time to weave in an oout of people who aren't running at the same pace. I will try to move up a little next year.
What would you do differently?:

See above. Also, I may take a quick jog beforehand to get the legs ready for it.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Had my stuff laid out the way I wanted and slipping my sneakers off and getting into my bike shoes went quicker than I thought. I was envisioning the transition for the second mile of the run so I just went through the motions that I practiced in my head.

get better shoes that fit me better, but maybe next year.
Bike
  • 38m
  • 12 miles
  • 18.95 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where I could make up time. I knew it would be my weaker leg this early in the season so I am not too upset about it. I think I did the best I had with the amount I had ridden outside this year (once, and only on my mountain bike!).

I will get on my road bike earlier!! I was confused with the gearing and not used to the feel for a bit. I came into it after a while and was able to ride it out stronger.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Transition from bike to run was a little rough. Once I figured out to take off my shoes and book it carrying my bike, it smoothed out. I LOVED the slip-in laces on my running shoes. They worked really well.

take off my bike shoes earlier.
Run
  • 14m 17s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Very happy with my second run. Had to wait until I could feel my legs again to be able to judge how fast I was going. Still new enough to this to be unfamiliar with the feeling following the bike. Once I got my legs, I could pick people out and take them over (like you don't do that!). Coming down the hil to the end I felt strong but not like I had too much left.

Not much. I guess just try to be more awar of pace earlier, but that will come.
Post race
Warm down:

walking walking and more walking. I stretched quads, hams, calves, IT and arms. We rode back to the truck and that helped shake off the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think possible my lack of bike training. I would do more spin classes to get the endurance and then get out on the road earlier, although it is so weather dependant that I m ight not have any sort of control over that.

Last updated: 2007-03-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:14:29 | 02 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/51
Overall: 36/390
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back. Familiar with the course so I was prepared for the big hill at the start. I like it. It is a nice downhill just before the bike.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:38:00 | 12 miles | 18.95 mile/hr
Overall: 95/390
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Rolling hills with one "major" climb. I like the course because it is semi-challenging but still easy enough that one can make up time is spots. The asphalt is kind of rough. I wonder who I can talk to about that.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:14:17 | 02 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Overall: 20/390
Performance: Good
Course: See above
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-02 11:11 AM

New user

Burlington, VT
Subject: March Madness

2007-04-02 11:21 AM
in reply to: #745497

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: March Madness
Nice race you finished quiet far ahead of me.

The transition area is anightmare right?

Well done.

JG
2007-04-04 11:23 AM
in reply to: #745522

New user

Burlington, VT
Subject: RE: March Madness
thanks James...it was my best race so far. I have done this one before so I knew what to expect in the transition area, but it is really tight and PACKED.

Nice work. That's a fun one. Good luck with the rest of the season

Frank
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » March Madness Rss Feed