United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 17s
Overall Rank = 166/822
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/60
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, laid in bed, finally got up to let out the dogs, eat some eggs and have a Gatorade and hop in the car. Everything was mostly ready to go the night before. Got to the race and saw a few BTers.
Event warmup:

There was no real warm-up for me. I did some very light stretching while waiting to get going, but that's about it. Otherwise I just talked with people.
Run
  • 1h 43m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I had no intentions of racing this, just running it as a training run with a pretty good effort. I ran with Adam for the entire race. We did the first 4+ as easy, aerobic miles to get loosened up and then started alternating every other mile as tempo/recovery. For the most part, I felt pretty good. My legs started getting heavy around mile 8, but nothing that would really keep me from doing the pace. Looking back, I should have paid more attention to my nutrition. I wasn't dehydrated by any means, but could have used another gel. I took one from an aid station that tasted awful but I sucked it down anyway. I had to do some work on the last couple miles, but considering this is my longest run of the year (I think), that's neither surprising nor disconcerting. After I got to the top of the hill on mile 12 and got settled back into my breathing, I surprisingly felt really good and in rhythm. We kept our tempo pace from there through the end and finished as expected.
What would you do differently?:

Use some bodyglide. Dumb on my part. Aside from that, I'd take my own gels. I wouldn't do anything differently on the run in terms of pacing. I'll need to go back and check the mile splits to see if/how I fell off on the tempo sections.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with Mark and Richard for a few minutes until Adam and I went to grab some food and beer (I thought the food was fine). Then I got a massage that was worth a million dollars. After sitting to eat, I pretty much hobbled over there, and when they were through, I was walking completely fine.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Didn't intend to run any faster than I did. My only thought in terms of time was to run faster than an 8'/mile pace and that was accomplished.

Event comments:

Good to see a lot of BTers and others out there. Makes the racing more fun, especially when it was more of a non-race day like this. I thought the race was run well with it starting right on time and there being enough volunteers, etc. I was alays able to get everything I needed at the aid stations and the post-race was good as well. Good race to kick off the season with.

Last updated: 2007-04-02 12:00 AM
Running
01:43:17 | 13.1 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/60
Overall: 166/822
Performance: Average
Course: Fairly flat with the exception of a few dips and one noteworthy uphill right at the start of the 12th mile. Not really scenic.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-02 1:17 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Platte River Half Marathon

2007-04-02 1:38 PM
in reply to: #745773

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Platte River Half Marathon
60/822 on a day when you were basically on a training run... that's awesome! Nice job Ryan!
2007-04-02 1:51 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Even if you weren't really racing, you kicked butt!  Nice. 

Wish I had a massage!

2007-04-02 1:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Hey Ryan - Nice run buddy that is a good pace for that distance, sounds like you guy's had a lot of fun. Ahhhh few beers and a massage all that was missing was Pizza and it would have been my definition of paradise 8-)
2007-04-02 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Sounds like a perfect training run. Looks like its shaping up to be a strong season for you.
2007-04-02 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
Nice "training run."  With workouts like that, you're definitely gonna be very difficult to keep up w/ this year.

2007-04-02 3:48 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)

Heh - a training run?! Must've been fun to get all the added perks for just a workout!

Regardless, that was impressive. You're coming in hard this season, can't wait to watch your progress!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Platte River Half Marathon Rss Feed